Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you are not exposed to the right competition then you won't develop good players. An insular approach will not work at all, even England's habitual exits are followed by introspection about how they can learn particularly from the Germans, Brazilians or the Dutch. Attributes are one thing but developing a good player will not work if the US uses the approach from other US based sporting codes and apply them. For example the MLS draft could have been used initially to help teams start up but after that with a lot more established clubs then it is a competitive disadvantage in player development. The best players always wind up playing in the better teams , they usually dont waste their time playing in average clubs. Once a player at the level of Messi is identified he is thrown in a class with the other best players they can find elsewhere in Spain like Cesc,Pique etc. England used to have a rule where only players who stayed 90 minutes from the club could be enrolled in the youth teams and that naturally reduced the level and type of local talent they can work with. The game is more global now, in the 60s and 70s when Europe was closed to non-Europeans the South Americans could win with mostly local based players but even now when countries like Brazil have more resources and can actually pay decent money to star players they transfer most of their talent very early.

Once the game has lots of organic growth in the US you might see a decent level of talent coming up. The overly scheduled or team based traveling league type is still subject to the skill of the coaches and if they are not good then the kids will also not develop well. In the women's game you see the difference in status or level of organization in the US compared to other countries but on natural skill you will find players like Marta and Christiane on a different level doing the sort of things that i doubt anyone could coach into them.

TommyHilltrigga

Here comes THE BOOM!
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/6/T'dot
trust me...this shti don't happen over night...20 years breh..and a lot of intangibles must fall into place...who knows maybe in 20 years COLI VERSION 4.0 will still be discussing when the great american soccer generation will arrive

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
but popularity does not come out of nowhere...USA SOCCER, must do the investing....stop going to upper middle class america to find talent...hit up the kids hungry to play, to get out of the hood
there was a time when youth coaches were making more money than professional coaches. Charging parents their life savings... :heh:

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
They're just going to ignore your post breh. :heh:

In their opinion, African American can be good in all sports but soccer. shyt, it harder to learn the skills to become a world class tennis player than a soccer player.

They was saying the same thing in Tennis for years. Until 2 African American girls learn how to play proper tennis at an early age and ran the WTA for over a decade.

Same with Golf :sas2:

you're forgetting that tennis and golf are mostly individual sports....the US developing 11 players to compete neck n neck with the best 11 from the top 5/10 nations in the world is not an easy task...

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
They're just going to ignore your post breh. :heh:

In their opinion, African American can be good in all sports but soccer. shyt, it harder to learn the skills to become a world class tennis player than a soccer player.

They was saying the same thing in Tennis for years. Until 2 African American girls learn how to play proper tennis at an early age and ran the WTA for over a decade.

Same with Golf :sas2:

The tennis point is great, Serena and Venus came through and just shytted on everyone :dead:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, that's what I don't get, soccer dudes always argue like people are saying if some star NFL/NBA player decided to play soccer today on a whim they'd be great at it. Nah, the argument is that if the US had a feeder system into soccer the same way it does with basketball and football, African Americans would emerge from that feeder system with high level skills and the athletic advantage we have in every other sport.

I think the US would have a different breed of soccer player from anywhere else in the world, slightly bigger, slightly heavier while having the speed of the fastest teams.

The same feeder system as basketball and football? Soccer in the united states already has that. It's that system that holds the USA back, footballistically. And it would take decades and decades for world class players to emerge, realistically.

TommyHilltrigga

Here comes THE BOOM!
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/6/T'dot
there was a time when youth coaches were making more money than professional coaches. Charging parents their life savings... :heh:

Breh...when i was a kid...i had to go through that church food drive/donation type shyt to help me go play in some tournament scouts were at...$1400 breh....:mjlol:..these coaches were making BANK...$1400 from 18 players...:ehh:

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
In Football Today, the teams that generally epitomize superior athleticism, speed, strength are the african teams...look at someone like Emenike...a Bully or a YAYA Toure or Dider Drogba...big strong athletic players....you can argue the economics of why african teams are not winning world cups...they have the ingredients, crazy fans, love of the game(culture) but it still comes down to one thing they lack

QUALITY TRAINING!!!

african teams/players in africa don't have the world class coaches and what not to train

same thing in america...how many world class american managers can you name and do not say bruce arena or bradley's dad....we are importing quality coaches like klinsmann
I agree with everything you are saying bruh but that negates the whole premise of what ive been posting. Your speaking on the current reality of soccer in America, im speaking on an American society in the distant future that has already embraced and invested the money into the sport.
You can't just assume that someone who plays ball fresh out the womb is gonna have the same ability as messi or ronaldo, if that was the case we would see a lot of players with the same level of skill....but we don't. Freddy Adu was labeled as the next goat and dude was a fukkin scrub. He was african american. The way you talk about football makes it seem like all you need to do is play from a young age and you're gonna be a problem, then throw in black genetics and you're the best....nah, shyt ain't simple fam...not in america. Some of the best players ever were black men from brazil. I just don't see any american player having the same technical ability, finesse and overall qualities like the great players that came from south america....it's a different football culture over there, one that america may never catch on to because of the quality of training and coaches. These nations live and breathe football....till the US adopts that mentality, they will have to settle for being a B- nation in the sport.
All of my points hinges on a hypothetical scenario where U.S. cultures embraces soccer the way it embraces Football/Basketball. I take no shame in admitting that im a complete noob when it comes to watching soccer but I have functional eyes and soccer seems to be about coordination, something that African Americans have never lacked. Look at this video, this cat looked like he was breakdancing with ball, im supposed to believe African American cant swag like that?

Malta

Sweetwater
Daps
Reppin
Now who else wanna fukk with Hollywood Court?
you're forgetting that tennis and golf are mostly individual sports....the US developing 11 players to compete neck n neck with the best 11 from the top 5/10 nations in the world is not an easy task...

There are 2100 players in the NFL & NBA.....imagine how many people there are playing football or basketball at a high school level in the US if there's that many in the pro leagues. I don't think we'd have a lot of trouble finding 11 people who excel out of a talent pool that large.

That's just football and basketball, if you add in baseball the number is huge.

TommyHilltrigga

Here comes THE BOOM!
Daps
Reppin
Toronto/6/T'dot
I agree with everything you are saying bruh but that negates the whole premise of what ive been posting. Your speaking on the current reality of soccer in America, im speaking on an American society in the distant future that has already embraced and invested the money into the sport.

All of my points hinges on a hypothetical scenario where U.S. cultures embraces soccer the way it embraces Football/Basketball. I take no shame in admitting that im a complete noob when it comes to watching soccer but I have functional eyes and soccer seems to be about coordination, something that African Americans have never lacked. Look at this video, this cat looked like he was breakdancing with ball, im supposed to believe African American cant swag like that?

THE US could be a dominant power in the game in the future in that case......i hear you tho, one can dream:yeshrug:

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
Look at this video, this cat looked like he was breakdancing with ball, im supposed to believe African American cant swag like that?

I don't even think american football has ever embraced the flashy "joga bonito" style of playing....of course there will be nikkas who can dribble n shyt lol...but this level of finesse with the ball has never been an american thing...

There are 2100 players in the NFL & NBA.....imagine how many people there are playing football or basketball at a high school level in the US if there's that many in the pro leagues. I don't think we'd have a lot of trouble finding 11 people who excel out of a talent pool that large.

that could definately happen...but like I said...it's 2014 and it has yet to happen...do we need to wait 10 more years....again?