Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
:snoop: @ the breakdown of vertical and jumps and everything

massive massive differences in philosophy... typical american fans dont have the brain required :sadcam:..

i'd love to see a physical stats breakdown of reggie bush vs carlos valderrama :russ:
Bruh you're acting like every athlete would be training for a playmaker center mid type role.. US would have the best wingers, forwards and strikers bar none.

come on man, soccer is more then just chess :camby:

You saw what Ghana did in the group stages with that next level agility and speed. I played in youth leagues for like 10 years and coaches look for athleticism. Soccer requires a diverse set of attributes.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Its like muhfukkas are preemptively salty that the US could become a 1st class team.

Dont forget we've got like 10x the talent pool that England has:childplease:

Carlos Huerta

Just keep my rep red
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its like muhfukkas are preemptively salty that the US could become a 1st class team.

Dont forget we've got like 10x the talent pool that England has:childplease:
The truth is somewhere in between. We know that and still continue making thousands of posts acting like there's only one reason why we're not #1 :manny:

Stealth

They know the face and they know the name
Daps
Reppin
the streets
I hate this logic from soccer purists that size and speed doesnt matter. This is the United States, if we start caring about soccer and put the money into it we WILL be the best. Does skill matter? Obviously but fast, strong AND skilled will always be better than just skills. nikkas use comparisons about the athletic African teams that suck but guess what? They dont have the money for elite coaches that the U.S. has. Look at international basketbal, African teams get beat by less athletic teams like Spain and Argentina yet the USA beats those teams because we have thr athleticism AND the skill. BTW no one better bring up how the US basketball team lost in the olympics in the early 2000's, we didnt have our best players.
:mjlol:

no country that calls football by a different will ever be the best at it. You guys would rather watch american rugby :russ:

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know shyt about Soccer but this discussion is intriguing.

I got a question for the people in here which I'm sure will be considered retarded (I'd probably agree). I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that 'athleticism' (with strength/speed/explosive power being the main emphasis) and height over 6'0 are essentially meaningless in Soccer and in some cases are a detriment, while endurance and technical skill reign supreme. Could a woman conceivably become an elite player with men? Let's say she's between 5'4-5'8, has world class level endurance and is extremely proficient with handling the ball and passing. I imagine the endurance part would hold her back but I've seen posters talk about other players who aren't exactly in the greatest of shape.

Nemesis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know shyt about Soccer but this discussion is intriguing.

I got a question for the people in here which I'm sure will be considered retarded (I'd probably agree). I'm seeing a lot of posts saying that 'athleticism' (with strength/speed/explosive power being the main emphasis) and height over 6'0 are essentially meaningless in Soccer and in some cases are a detriment, while endurance and technical skill reign supreme. Could a woman conceivably become an elite player with men? Let's say she's between 5'4-5'8, has world class level endurance and is extremely proficient with handling the ball and passing. I imagine the endurance part would hold her back but I've seen posters talk about other players who aren't exactly in the greatest of shape.

no..... its like tennis Venus Williams is a beast in the womens game but she readily admits shes not good enough against the men and to be honest the difference in ability and quality in womens to mens tennis is far closer than women and mens soccer

one point I would also like to make.... look at Golf, If all one needed was to be athletic to hit the ball far how come golf players arent brolic?

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
This argument is soooo skewed though right now. I dont get how people are trying to say soccer transcends athleticism, and then talking down to anyone who denies that :dahell:

Maybe its ignorant to bring up height as an advantage… but speed, quickness, strength and acceleration are essential to any sport.

I mean soccer players are considered :flabbynsick: before they hit 30. That's more telling then anything.

Y'all Brits is shook:laff:
Just admit it

barese

Pro
Daps
What exactly are you arguing?

You can't dispute the claim about the average players by mentioning that "there are" some taller :smile:

Meaning: in average great players are shorter, even though there are some taller than 185cm...

Look, the US could become great in soccer, but not just for the reasons some people have mentioned, mainly the athletic ability of black Americans (for those reasons only I don't see them top Brazil).

In the meantime African countries are making huge improvement in coaching and resources, and they already have the culture and some star players. This improvement is real, not imaginary...
With more nations playing the sport at the high level, in the future it will be even more difficult to dominate anyways...

Btw, this is an interesting article about increased injuries, but it gives an idea about the physical requirements to play the sport:
According to further research, a footballer runs at least 300 kilometers per season. That’s like running about 7 marathons. Some midfielders run more than 360 kilometers per season, which are 8.5 marathons. According to top cardiologists, runners should do “just one or a few” marathons or full-distance triathlons. Their conclusion is that “over-exerting the heart for years can lead to long-term damage.”
This explains the increased number of heart attacks on the pitch, which I used to connect only to doping.
For everyone afraid of US football health damages and believing that professional soccer is safe, read it. The modern game is becoming really dangerous for the heart and for the legs:
I see many feet and legs problems in marathon runners and many problems caused by trauma in Rugby. However, footballers seem to suffer from both problems. Traumas and erosion. Footballers are damaged like marathon running Rugby players. For them, at a young age at least, it doesn’t matter. They want to play as many games as possible. I, as a sports physician, need to fix them for the short term but I know the damage is long term”. Ben-shoshan, who works for PSG, adds: “I think that players can’t play more than 20-30 games per season and stay healthy”.

jalamanta

GOAT
Daps
I read like five pages of this thread and was amazed how fukking stupid Americans were. Like really really fukking stupid.

Talking about imagine if basketball players chose football. :russ:

Talking about we will be dominating football in ten years. :russ:

Talking about we got athletic ability so we can easily dominate football. :lolbron:

Most of you fakkits don't really understand how football works do you? :mjpls:

You ain't gonna dominate shyt. MLS will always be a league of unknown players and washed up flabby and sick European stars. :shaq:

Enjoy your baseball. :huhldup:

J Money

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Daps
Lets be honest brehs, nikkas arent ever gonna stop playing basketball or American football lets keep it 100, especially as if you want to become a top player youll need to face people on your level to get better. USA prob wont ever become a force but who really cares, yall have NFL/NBA to enjoy its no biggie. This argument always comes round when the World Cup is on and you stop caring once its finished.

It is what it is.

229532.gif