Watching this World Cup, I wish the US was a football/soccer powerhouse

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
The US has more youth football (soccer) players than any other country according to Fifa.They also have the biggest population of any world cup team.
So they already have a larger pool to choose from than most countries.

And like people said athleticism doesn't mean shyt, so converting all potential american football players/basketball players into soccer players isn't a guarantee that the country will be that much better. Whose to say the us team won't be made up of less athletic players.

If Lebron James and say Patrick Kane both started out as soccer players whose to say Lebron James would come out better? based on what?

Marvin Wynne is an american MLS player who is black and considered one of the fastest players in the league he can't get on the NT.
you guys are assuming that our pro athletes arent smart and technical though.
Baseball is a technical sport...Hockey is too.

Athletes generally come from working class/poor backgrounds...until we have those kids putting their all into it, our pool doesnt match a country like Brazil.
To a lot of kids here...Soccer is something for your college resume.

Versa

American Weirdo
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I've had this conversation like 13 times in the World Cup thread.

England are football's great overachievers. Not once, ever in the history of the sport have England underachieved given their resources, population and wealth. It's a narrative that the media and other countries like to trot out. But because England cares about football a lot and invented the sport people like to get petty and try to shyt on England because they've only won one world cup :camby:

Didn't the Egyptians invent soccer?

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
Didn't the Egyptians invent soccer?

:childplease:

No. There were recorded soccer like games in Ancient Greece and in Asia. But England had the first set of rules that essentially gave us the modern sport we watch today.

And through their colonial exploits and travels, England spread the game, most notably to South America and Brazil.

Last edited:
Daps
The amount of people in this thread that think just pure athleticism can win games is scary. :wtf:

That's cuz they don't understand that developing a world class first touch comes from years of practice in a highly competitive environment that has a particular stylistic technical aspect to it (reason why certain skills/styles are associated with certain nations)

whether it may be just playing for fun where u grew up or on the pitch (that's where a nation's culture comes into play cuz you just won't be able to find that environment in the states)

also these coli accountants breaking down how verts and 40 yard dashes convert into headers etc. clearly never played soccer before against sum average muhammad/didier/fernando that played a lil soccer back in their country, but got 10X the skill of ur average MLS player

concise

Veteran
Daps
That's cuz they don't understand that developing a world class first touch comes from years of practice in a highly competitive environment that has a particular stylistic technical aspect to it (reason why certain skills/styles are associated with certain nations)

whether it may be just playing for fun where u grew up or on the pitch (that's where a nation's culture comes into play cuz you just won't be able to find that environment in the states)

also these coli accountants breaking down how verts and 40 yard dashes convert into headers etc. clearly never played soccer before against sum average muhammad/didier/fernando that played a lil soccer back in their country, but got 10X the skill of ur average MLS player

:mjlol:
Why they cant make an MLS roster if they're so talented? Or even an NASL roster?

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't see how anyone can ignore the obvious decline in coaching in this country and think we are going to excel at a global sport that requires skill development above all else. The U.S struggling to even compete with little Caribbean islands these days, DR better at baseball, Jamaica running track & field, Cubans better at boxing etc I'd love to see a young A.I crossing nikkas over in central midfield :noah:But I'd rather see him in the NBA, and we not even producing young A.I's for a sport we care about :ld: Even if soccer surpassed Baseball in popularity, which i believe is possible in our lifetime, this current sporting culture ain't conducive to producing a good team