Watched Jason’s Lyric For The First Time. Highly Disappointed

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hate Love Jones...then and now. And Love & Basketball too. Matter of fact, the entire Omar Epps, Nia, Morris Chestnut, Boris/Shamar, Sanaa & Taye Diggs era.

I do like Two Can Play That Game, The Wood, and I'd love Brown Sugar if I believed Taye Diggs as a hip-hop head.

You think Love & BBall is trash, but isn’t Brown Sugar just just Love & Bball with a little less drama with a bit more comedy with a Hip Hop backdrop as a substitute :patrice:?

Y'all are bugging. Love and Basketball is a great movie.
More importantly, it's a Netflix and Chill 1st ballot hall of fame film.

Note: You might need to be a hooper to fully appreciate it.

I don’t know if I would call it a great movie, but in the early 2000’s, Love & Basketball is easily in the top 5 for Panty dropper movies. I would probably be sitting on Bezos type of money, if I had a dollar for every time this movie was on in the background for every late creep or come through and chill :shaq:. My Transitioning from High school to an HBCU, it seems like most the sistas around that time enjoyed that movie. That movie was the bat signal to getting ass.

paidNfull

Live By It, Die By It
Daps
Reppin
LouI$I@n@
I remember going see that movie as a kid, enjoyed it then, I don't think I personally went back and watch it, always seen it cause somebody else had it on and I I always just glanced at it...going check it out again eventually

RaspberryFitted

Boyz In Motion Member
Daps
Reppin
G-Co
I remember going see that movie as a kid, enjoyed it then, I don't think I personally went back and watch it, always seen it cause somebody else had it on and I I always just glanced at it...going check it out again eventually
It’s on HBO Max if you got a subscription

Bonefan32

Superstar
Daps
I always loved it but haven't watched it in years,I randomly own three copies of it on DVD lol

Another movie with Jada I always liked was The Inkwell

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
caught up was on of the stupidest movies I ever seen. Basically had bokeem former love and his knew tarot card reader as the same actress, then they had a dude who got his dikk shot off as the "final boss" in the movie who killed himself and then they had bokeem telling his entire staff his life story before working their first shift...

Just a horrible movie that was all over the place...
Cynda Williams in that ONE SCENE (although short) taught me a lot about myself and I’ll be forever grateful.

Folks wanna talk about terrible Black movies, idc what anyone says but Dangerous Ground was shytty af. Out of Sync w/ LL is equally terrible as well. LL must’ve really been fukkin the shyt outta Debbie Allen round that time

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
You think Love & BBall is trash, but isn’t Brown Sugar just just Love & Bball with a little less drama with a bit more comedy with a Hip Hop backdrop as a substitute :patrice:?

I don’t know if I would call it a great movie, but in the early 2000’s, Love & Basketball is easily in the top 5 for Panty dropper movies. I would probably be sitting on Bezos type of money, if I had a dollar for every time this movie was on in the background for every late creep or come through and chill :shaq:. My Transitioning from High school to an HBCU, it seems like most the sistas around that time enjoyed that movie. That movie was the bat signal to getting ass.

Love & Basketball takes itself too seriously, and the lighthearted comedy plays a little better. It's pretty much a step above Lifetime/Hallmark movie...or a Drew Barrymore romcom. Plus, they were toxic to one another. I hated watching them interact. At least Brown Sugar at least established their close friendship. The thing that brought and kept them together in Brown Sugar (hip-hop) was the ish that tore Q & Monica apart (ball). Plus the basketball scenes are terrible, which are important for me in a hoops movie.

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Love & Basketball takes itself too seriously, and the lighthearted comedy plays a little better. It's pretty much a step above Lifetime/Hallmark movie...or a Drew Barrymore romcom. Plus, they were toxic to one another. I hated watching them interact. At least Brown Sugar at least established their close friendship. The thing that brought and kept them together in Brown Sugar (hip-hop) was the ish that tore Q & Monica apart (ball). Plus the basketball scenes are terrible, which are important for me in a hoops movie.

Ehh, yes and no. Q’s family problems more so transformed him into becoming reckless and making decisions in haste and he was lashing out. If you want to say Monica prioritized b-ball and wasn’t there for Q when he was in a dark space, then maybe/perhaps you could spin it that way. Ironically, the thing that you said caused a rift, brought them back together. I agree about with your take on some of the basketball scenes.

I just view Brown Sugar as a complete copy and paste of L & B with minor switch ups.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
Cynda Williams in that ONE SCENE (although short) talk me a lot about myself and I’ll be forever grateful.

Folks wanna talk about terrible Black movies, idc what anyone says but Dangerous Ground was shytty af. Out of Sync w/ LL is equally terrible as well. LL must’ve really been fukkin the shyt outta Debbie Allen round that time
Yeah Dangerous Ground was garbage, Cube could've kept that one