Was plant based meat a fad?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
First off, you're looking at US emissions not global emmissions which for agriculture are a much higher %. Second, those low EPA numbers are being considered underestimates by many scientists because they don't take into account the deforestation and fires that clear agricultural land, the disturbance of soil carbon that is released, and all the carbon of agricultural inputs. Globally the contribution of agriculture to global warming is more like 30-40%:

In 2015, food-system emissions amounted to 18 Gt CO2 equivalent per year globally, representing 34% of total GHG emissions. The largest contribution came from agriculture and land use/land-use change activities (71%), with the remaining were from supply chain activities: retail, transport, consumption, fuel production, waste management, industrial processes and packaging.

The Worldwatch Institute included agriculture’s supply chain as well, and it concluded that livestock agriculture is responsible for 51 percent of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

WWI’s estimate was dismissed by some in agriculture, but a detailed assessment this year found it more right than wrong. That assessment argued for an agricultural contribution of about 37 percent of anthropogenic GHGs. Stanford physicist Steven Chu also argued recently for a higher assessment of agriculture’s contribution, in the neighborhood of 30 percent.

And the USA imports 2 billion pounds of beef every year, which recently has included up to 100 million pounds of beef from Brazil every month, which is farmed by literally burning down rainforest. That's a huge carbon impact - first the fires release carbon, then you lose the positive impact of the trees clearing carbon out, and then you have the cows producing methane and CO2.

Interesting, i'll have to do more research on this. although i still think people will never ever stop eating meat

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, I think people are realising that it is unhealthy and tastes like shyt.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Interesting, i'll have to do more research on this. although i still think people will never ever stop eating meat

I don't think people will stop but I think it can be reduced.

When we're talking about an existential crisis, "choose a different dinner option" just seems so much fukking easier than transforming global technology or telling people to stop driving places.

Personally I think both need to be done (everything needs to be done), but changing what we eat feels like the easiest of all the changes.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

When we're talking about an existential crisis, "choose a different dinner option" just seems so much fukking easier than transforming global technology or telling people to stop driving places.

Personally I think both need to be done (everything needs to be done), but changing what we eat feels like the easiest of all the changes.
Yeah, I'll use myself as example. When i was married, my wife at the time wasn't a vegetarian by any means, she ate beef, chicken pork, seafood.
but she also treated meat like special occasion food. So she might eat chicken for dinner on tuesday, but eat lentils or spinach and rice for the rest of the week.
She was shocked to learn that me and my family ate meat with pretty much every meal and thought that was unusual. I never fully adopted her style, but i do incorporate one vegetarian dinner per week now..

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

:mjlol:

This is so ridiculous. I don’t even know where to
begin

A Pepsi plastic bottling factory is doing more damage to the environmental hourly than anyone person does in their lifetime eating beef

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
:mjlol:

This is so ridiculous. I don’t even know where to
begin

A Pepsi plastic bottling factory is doing more damage to the environmental hourly than anyone person does in their lifetime eating beef

Why would you compare a factory to an individual? That doesn't even make sense. Why not compare that Pepsi plastic bottling factory to a Brazilian beef operation that is repeatedly burning down rainforest, farming beef and soy to feed beef on the cleared land, and then moving on in a few years because the soil gets depleted?

As I already pointed out, the global impact of agriculture is enormous and it disproportionately comes from meat, especially beef:

In 2015, food-system emissions amounted to 18 Gt CO2 equivalent per year globally, representing 34% of total GHG emissions. The largest contribution came from agriculture and land use/land-use change activities (71%), with the remaining were from supply chain activities: retail, transport, consumption, fuel production, waste management, industrial processes and packaging.

The Worldwatch Institute included agriculture’s supply chain as well, and it concluded that livestock agriculture is responsible for 51 percent of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

WWI’s estimate was dismissed by some in agriculture, but a detailed assessment this year found it more right than wrong. That assessment argued for an agricultural contribution of about 37 percent of anthropogenic GHGs. Stanford physicist Steven Chu also argued recently for a higher assessment of agriculture’s contribution, in the neighborhood of 30 percent.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Why would you compare a factory to an individual? That doesn't even make sense. Why not compare that Pepsi plastic bottling factory to a Brazilian beef operation that is repeatedly burning down rainforest, farming beef and soy to feed beef on the cleared land, and then moving on in a few years because the soil gets depleted?

As I already pointed out, the global impact of agriculture is enormous and it disproportionately comes from meat, especially beef:

Because you’re talking about personal responsibility for the environment like it amounts to anything in the grand scheme of things

Daps
I don’t believe it was a fad, they just threw it any and everywhere they could get coverage. I believe their slowly raising the price is what did them in, too.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Because you’re talking about personal responsibility for the environment like it amounts to anything in the grand scheme of things

It does, because personal responsiblity is what leads to systemic change. People who sit around bytching that their individual actions won't make a difference then wonder why large-scale changes don't happen, and never put two and two together.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I go to Grocery Outlet and they always have a big non-meat freezer section. Rather than getting the same one all the time I like to switch it up a lot (diversity is healthy), and honestly I like the taste of damn near all of them even if they're usually not trying to "replicate meat" as much.

Some of the brands I eat from there are:

Hillary's
Dr. Praeger's
Strong Roots
Gardein
Morning Star Farms
Original Boca Burger
Quorn
Sunshine Plant-based Foods

You'll have to check the boxes of individual brands to see which ones are the best on sodium. Each brand has multiple different food base options, so try and see what you like - obviously a black-bean base is gonna be different from a quinoa base is gonna be different from a soy base is gonna be different from a mushroom base. I'm chill with all of them but probably get the Quinoa/Kale, Black Bean, and Red Beet options the most (though I haven't see the Red Beet around in a while).

Without being super strict about the research I think Hillary's and Strong Roots are among the healthiest, and they're also among the cheapest, those are the ones I get the most often. But they're also not very much like meat. Stuff like Boca or Quorn I'll just grab on rare occasions for variety but I don't eat them a lot. Black Bean, Mushroom, and Soy bases are usually among the best for people who are really trying to replicate the meat feel but I'm often happy just to eat a veggie patty and don't need it to taste like beef anymore.

I like the beyond burgers. Doesn't sit on my stomach as long as regular burgers and ground beef. Not something I eat all the time though, but they are pretty good IMO :yeshrug:

still got a few patties in my fridge
got some 88% ground beef
and 2lbs of some Wagyu.

Finna cook dem Wag Burgers this weekend....and nobody getting none of dem shyts. Wag ain't cheap :birdman:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
- Beyond Meat isn't cheaper than regular meat.
- Beyond Meat isn't healthier than regular meat.

So what purpose does it serve?

I agree it's too expensive. Like I pointed out, the more natural alternative patties are a lot cheaper.

The problem with beef is that we eat far too much of it. Even the worst processed vegan stuff is healthier in many ways than eating 50-60 pounds of beef a year - more fiber and less saturated fat. Doesn't mean you have to switch to eating 50 pounds of Beyond Meat, but if you transitioned some of that so you were only eating 30 pounds of beef and 10-20 pounds of Beyond/Impossible/etc a year, you'd probably be better off.

And the other clear purpose of the vegan alternatives is that they're far better environmentally, which is pretty damn important considering we're ramping up to an existential crisis in the next few decades with what we're doing to the planet:

“The most popular plant-based alternatives, Beyond [Meat] and Impossible Burgers, produce about 90 percent fewer greenhouse gas emissions in comparison with beef,” she says. “They reduce land use by at least 93 percent and water use by 87 percent to 99 percent. They also generate no manure pollution.”

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
It does, because personal responsiblity is what leads to systemic change. People who sit around bytching that their individual actions won't make a difference then wonder why large-scale changes don't happen, and never put two and two together.

:laff:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Just saw this story and it reminded me of this thread:

Breh had lived completely alone in the jungle for 26 years after cattle ranchers massacred his entire tribe. His people are completely extinct now. Because beef.

They do this shyt all the time. I read one article that said loggers and ranchers in Brazil had murdered 1,500 environmental activists in the last 30 years, and that's not even counting all the regular natives they kill. Purely out of greed for more land and profits.

Remember, we import 100 million pounds of beef from Brazil every month. We're literally funding genocide because we're obsessed with beef.