Was plant based meat a fad?

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
I know a girl who's vegetarian and eats impossible burgers but yet she's 34 with high blood pressure and cholesterol.

I still eat meat in moderation and I'm 34 with no high blood pressure or cholesterol

I tell her it's healthier to eat real meat. That plant based shyt is high on sodium

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I know you're being sarcastic. But the process of having and overproduction of Grains, Vegetables, and Synthetic Vegetable Oils to feed a society based around Veganism is destroying the planet

Look up Monocropping and the destruction its doing to the environment

Breh, you have to produce MORE grains and vegetables and shyt when you grow beef because you grow them just to feed to the cattle. If you think that overproduction of crops is a problem, that's an even better reason to stop eating beef.

U.S. could feed 800 million people with grain that livestock eat, Cornell ecologist advises animal scientists

"More than half the U.S. grain and nearly 40 percent of world grain is being fed to livestock rather than being consumed directly by humans." Pimentel said.

How much of the world's cropland is actually used to grow food?

Just 55 percent of the world's crop calories are actually eaten directly by people. Another 36 percent is used for animal feed. And the remaining 9 percent goes toward biofuels and other industrial uses.

Crops grown for food (green) versus for animal feed and fuel (purple)

map_food_vs_fuel.0.jpg

Y'all are swallowing literal beef industry propaganda instead of just looking up the basic facts.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I know a girl who's vegetarian and eats impossible burgers but yet she's 34 with high blood pressure and cholesterol.

I still eat meat in moderation and I'm 34 with no high blood pressure or cholesterol

I tell her it's healthier to eat real meat. That plant based shyt is high on sodium

You do realize that HBP and cholestrol are affected by genetics, desserts, exercise, and many other factors, so random anecdotes like "I know a girl" aren't very helpful?

Americans on average eat 55 pounds of beef a year (the 4th highest total in the entire world, just slightly trailing a few Latin countries), and Americans have the world's highest obesity rate outside of tiny island nations. So if we're just using random correlations as an argument then your case looks pretty bad.

Maquina

Banned
Daps

Bro you don’t know what you’re talking about - it’s not healthier to eat real meat. The consensus of well in the know health experts all agree. Your personal anecdote is obviously flawed because you have no idea what she eats daily and in what moderation . I’m addition some people have a greater propensity to have high blood pressure . But let’s use your one example vs qualified professionals

The coli y’all

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
Y’all need to learn how to read a chart. They’re still selling products, they just aren’t growing. I’m sure other successful businesses had similar growth patterns

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Y’all need to learn how to read a chart. They’re still selling products, they just aren’t growing. I’m sure other successful businesses had similar growth patterns
We know how to read

Sales growth shouldn’t plateau with a product this new

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
You do realize that HBP and cholestrol are affected by genetics, desserts, exercise, and many other factors, so random anecdotes like "I know a girl" aren't very helpful?

Americans on average eat 55 pounds of beef a year (the 4th highest total in the entire world, just slightly trailing a few Latin countries), and Americans have the world's highest obesity rate outside of tiny island nations. So if we're just using random correlations as an argument then your case looks pretty bad.

agriculture, including meat production, only accounts for 11% of our greenhouse emissions, and people are always gonna eat food. It would be more realistic from an environmentalist perspective to focus on reducing the other 89% of our souces of greenhouse gas emissions.

Mass transit imo is one solution. Because both gas cars and electrics both produce a high percentage of our emissions. Mass transit would help reduce the two leading factors in a way that is actually more convenient for the average person. (ie my strategy is to find solutions people will like living with because people unfortunately like luxury)

another good palatable way for the average person i think would be to step away from gas and electric power in homes, and try to go solar. People wouldn't be bothered by using solar power either. (my entire shed is powered by solar energy for example, hoping to get the main house that way eventually too.)
Encouraging businesses to do this too, would also be great.

A much more viable strategy than the impossible "make everyone vegan" approach. which will 1) never happen, and 2) do little to reduce emissions even if it did.

concise

Veteran
Daps
All this tells me is that people eat way too much beef. Burger addiction needs to be addressed.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

agriculture, including meat production, only accounts for 11% of our greenhouse emissions, and people are always gonna eat food. It would be more realistic from an environmentalist perspective to focus on reducing the other 89% of our souces of greenhouse gas emissions.

First off, you're looking at US emissions not global emmissions which for agriculture are a much higher %. Second, those low EPA numbers are being considered underestimates by many scientists because they don't take into account the deforestation and fires that clear agricultural land, the disturbance of soil carbon that is released, and all the carbon of agricultural inputs. Globally the contribution of agriculture to global warming is more like 30-40%:

In 2015, food-system emissions amounted to 18 Gt CO2 equivalent per year globally, representing 34% of total GHG emissions. The largest contribution came from agriculture and land use/land-use change activities (71%), with the remaining were from supply chain activities: retail, transport, consumption, fuel production, waste management, industrial processes and packaging.

The Worldwatch Institute included agriculture’s supply chain as well, and it concluded that livestock agriculture is responsible for 51 percent of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions.

WWI’s estimate was dismissed by some in agriculture, but a detailed assessment this year found it more right than wrong. That assessment argued for an agricultural contribution of about 37 percent of anthropogenic GHGs. Stanford physicist Steven Chu also argued recently for a higher assessment of agriculture’s contribution, in the neighborhood of 30 percent.

And the USA imports 2 billion pounds of beef every year, which recently has included up to 100 million pounds of beef from Brazil every month, which is farmed by literally burning down rainforest. That's a huge carbon impact - first the fires release carbon, then you lose the positive impact of the trees clearing carbon out, and then you have the cows producing methane and CO2.