Was plant based meat a fad?

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
1) lockdown
2) the chart is year on year, which means they could have sold 10 million patties in 2020 Sept and then another 10 million is Sept 2021
3) other meat vendors. In UK there are at least 10 manufacturers of fake meat products not including the supermarkets

I only just bought a pack of 10 from Costco which is cheaper than buying them in 2. Also I don’t do beef based vegan meat, the ones that are chicken or just plants are my choice.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
1) lockdown
2) the chart is year on year, which means they could have sold 10 million patties in 2020 Sept and then another 10 million is Sept 2021
3) other meat vendors. In UK there are at least 10 manufacturers of fake meat products not including the supermarkets

I only just bought a pack of 10 from Costco which is cheaper than buying them in 2. Also I don’t do beef based vegan meat, the ones that are chicken or just plants are my choice.
You shouldn’t do any of it

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Went vegan for few years, it helped me lose a lot of weight and changed my diet. Everything in major moderation now tho. Those Beyond Burgers were cool tho for a min but the sodium is pretty damn high on them

So for me yeah, I guess it's like they say in the booth a lot, “so and so album came and went”

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Beef production is literally destroying the world, so something's gonna have to give. You think as more people globally enter the middle class they're not going to demand beef too, and the insane land use and water use and fertilizer use and emmisions it creates isn't going to continue to skyrocket? There are already entire countries (like Guatemala) where half the population is malnourished because there's no room to grow regular food, beef takes up 10x as much space for the same calories. Either beef is a fad or human civilization as we know it is a fad.

The sodium is extremely high in fake meat. You were basically picking your poison between real meat and fake meat.

There's plenty of plant product patties out there without high sodium. Tons of more natural options to choose from.

Beyond Meat is just one high-end brand, people have started realizing they like the simpler stuff just as much. You can get patties made out of damn near anything now and a lot of them have just 3-4 ingredients and they're all healthy.

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
Beef production is literally destroying the world, so something's gonna have to give. You think as more people globally enter the middle class they're not going to demand beef too, and the insane land use and water use and fertilizer use and emmisions it creates isn't going to continue to skyrocket? There are already entire countries (like Guatemala) where half the population is malnourished because there's no room to grow regular food, beef takes up 10x as much space for the same calories. Either beef is a fad or human civilization as we know it is a fad.

There's plenty of plant product patties out there without high sodium. Tons of more natural options to choose from.

Beyond Meat is just one high-end brand, people have started realizing they like the simpler stuff just as much. You can get patties made out of damn near anything now and a lot of them have just 3-4 ingredients and they're all healthy.

I'd be curious to check out some of the other alternatives that don't have as much sodium, any suggestions?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'd be curious to check out some of the other alternatives that don't have as much sodium, any suggestions?

I go to Grocery Outlet and they always have a big non-meat freezer section. Rather than getting the same one all the time I like to switch it up a lot (diversity is healthy), and honestly I like the taste of damn near all of them even if they're usually not trying to "replicate meat" as much.

Some of the brands I eat from there are:

Hillary's
Dr. Praeger's
Strong Roots
Gardein
Morning Star Farms
Original Boca Burger
Quorn
Sunshine Plant-based Foods

You'll have to check the boxes of individual brands to see which ones are the best on sodium. Each brand has multiple different food base options, so try and see what you like - obviously a black-bean base is gonna be different from a quinoa base is gonna be different from a soy base is gonna be different from a mushroom base. I'm chill with all of them but probably get the Quinoa/Kale, Black Bean, and Red Beet options the most (though I haven't see the Red Beet around in a while).

Without being super strict about the research I think Hillary's and Strong Roots are among the healthiest, and they're also among the cheapest, those are the ones I get the most often. But they're also not very much like meat. Stuff like Boca or Quorn I'll just grab on rare occasions for variety but I don't eat them a lot. Black Bean, Mushroom, and Soy bases are usually among the best for people who are really trying to replicate the meat feel but I'm often happy just to eat a veggie patty and don't need it to taste like beef anymore.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

Yeah man people are just going totally lose the Desire to eat beef

I go to Grocery Outlet and they always have a big non-meat freezer section. Rather than getting the same one all the time I like to switch it up a lot (diversity is healthy), and honestly I like the taste of damn near all of them even if they're usually not trying to "replicate meat" as much.

Some of the brands I eat from there are:

Hillary's
Dr. Praeger's
Strong Roots
Gardein
Morning Star Farms
Original Boca Burger
Quorn
Sunshine Plant-based Foods

You'll have to check the boxes of individual brands to see which ones are the best on sodium. Each brand has multiple different food base options, so try and see what you like - obviously a black-bean base is gonna be different from a quinoa base is gonna be different from a soy base is gonna be different from a mushroom base. I'm chill with all of them but probably get the Quinoa/Kale, Black Bean, and Red Beet options the most (though I haven't see the Red Beet around in a while).

Without being super strict about the research I think Hillary's and Strong Roots are among the healthiest, and they're also among the cheapest, those are the ones I get the most often. But they're also not very much like meat. Stuff like Boca or Quorn I'll just grab on rare occasions for variety but I don't eat them a lot. Black Bean, Mushroom, and Soy bases are usually among the best for people who are really trying to replicate the meat feel but I'm often happy just to eat a veggie patty and don't need it to taste like beef anymore.
🤮

Jahbarri

Banned
Daps
Reppin
MONTREAL
im-605241

:unimpressed:

How many people out there are still pretending to enjoy pea protein shaped and colored like meat?
beyond meat was actually great,they stopped selling it at fast food joints. for example harveys & A &W .. A & W breakfast sandwich with beyond meat was so fire dunno why they discontinued it smfh

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Yes it’s a fad anybody who really plant based is eating actual plants, tofu or using stuff like mushrooms or jackfruit as a meat replacement…. not fake meats.