Was plant based meat a fad?

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
im-605241

:unimpressed:

How many people out there are still pretending to enjoy pea protein shaped and colored like meat?

Probably more to the point, BYMeat is $$$. It's decline in sales matches closely to rise in food prices.

Bloomberg-UN-1600x0-c-default.jpg

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a convo I had with someone yesterday. High sodium and depending on the brand, tons of additives to get the final product. As someone who prefers to clean eat, I never see myself switching from meat to non-meat products again. I prefer to just eat less meat overall.

I don't understand why people fight against a balanced diet with everything in moderation. I eat lean cuts of chicken, turkey and fish. Combine those with unprocessed grains, fruits and vegetables and you good.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
I still eat it, beef is an environmental disaster
Most food meat or veggie have a similiar environmental footprint. They just do it different ways. For example meat as you said, cow produce a lot of methane and shyt which isn't good.
Organic veggies also have a large footprint because organic farms are few and far between compared to most standard crop farms the are non organic. meaning they have to be trucked in or flown in form much longer distances, which in turn produces more carbon emissions to get them on your local grocery store shelf. versus sourcing locally like they can do with meat.
There is no such thing as an environmentally friendly mass produced food.
The only environmentally safe method is to become a hunter gatherer and get all your food from nature.

Last edited:

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Jackfruit BBQ sandwiches with fresh slaw is good as hell.

I don't do none of the "impossible" or "beyond" stuff though

Maquina

Banned
Daps
Probably more to the point, BYMeat is $$$. It's decline in sales matches closely to rise in food prices.

Bloomberg-UN-1600x0-c-default.jpg

a bit misleading, the yoy year sales are not growing - it doesn't mean they've declined.

prices have gone up, you also dont have a ton of new people buying and also competition.

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
I still maintain that in not too distant future, plant based 'meats' will be cheaper than animal protein. Extremely resource intensive (water,land,fuel) to raise beef.

*One source

• It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.
Land Utilization and Soil Erosion
  • One-half of the Earth’s land mass is grazed by livestock.[1]
  • More than 60% of the world’s rangelands were damaged by overgrazing during the past half century.[2]
  • As much as 85% of rangeland in the western US is being degraded by overgrazing.[3]
  • Overgrazing is by far the most pervasive cause of desertification.[4]
  • 35 pounds of topsoil are lost in the production of one pound of grain-fed beef.[5]
  • 64% of US cropland produces livestock feed.[6]
  • Only 2% of US cropland produces fruits and vegetables.[7]

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
People are very easily influenced and often totally devoid of a secure inner realm and thus need the Current Thing to build their identity around. When it shifts, so do they. Secure in the comfort that they're a special little being, just like everyone else sipping the mandated Kool Aid maketing.

What you described is just proof of this statement and it can be applied to pretty much anything from BBLs to beards and all points in between.
Oh you one of those dudes who says shyt like
"Cognitive dissonance " to seem smart huh :childplease:

Wubzy

All Star
Daps
I still maintain that in not too distant future, plant based 'meats' will be cheaper than animal protein. Extremely resource intensive (water,land,fuel) to raise beef.

*One source

• It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.
Land Utilization and Soil Erosion
  • One-half of the Earth’s land mass is grazed by livestock.[1]
  • More than 60% of the world’s rangelands were damaged by overgrazing during the past half century.[2]
  • As much as 85% of rangeland in the western US is being degraded by overgrazing.[3]
  • Overgrazing is by far the most pervasive cause of desertification.[4]
  • 35 pounds of topsoil are lost in the production of one pound of grain-fed beef.[5]
  • 64% of US cropland produces livestock feed.[6]
  • Only 2% of US cropland produces fruits and vegetables.[7]
I really hope so. Beef is terrible for the environment.