was Joel a good guy or bad guy in The Last of Us

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
They attempted a cure with an immune person before and failed. Joel knew that and did what shoulda been done :manny:
right but thats my question, why is that what "should have been done"? nobody wanted that but joel. everybody else wanted another attempt.
his ending was the only happy one, everybody else was empty handed. or dead

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Save humanity no matter what the costs = Anti-hero.

Save one girl, fukk humanity = Dumb, selfish, villain.

He could restore all that he fought and scratch to protect. Dooming humanity is a villainous act if you have complete control of said outcome. Joel was greedy, rightfully so, but greedy non the less. The same thing happens in the film Swordfish (to a lesser extent). Sometimes you're the evil bad men are sentenced by, if it means saving the world from war, then being evil to save humanity is no longer an option, but absolution.

Daps
Reppin
Canada
right but thats my question, why is that what "should have been done"? nobody wanted that but joel. everybody else wanted another attempt.
his ending was the only happy one, everybody else was empty handed. or dead

They making themselves empty handed by failing so hard, they failed to sell their idea to Joel. It's their fault.

Daps
Save humanity no matter what the costs = Anti-hero.

Save one girl, fukk humanity = Dumb, selfish, villain.

He could restore all that he fought and scratch to protect. Dooming humanity is a villainous act if you have complete control of said outcome. Joel was greedy, rightfully so, but greedy non the less. The same thing happens in the film Swordfish (to a lesser extent). Sometimes you're the evil bad men are sentenced by, if it means saving the world from war, then being evil to save humanity is no longer an option, but absolution.

Not wanting to save you cockroaches is dumb? :why:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
He was morally grey. It wasn't for certain the cure would be found but in the same breath, it was a selfish decision.
I don't think Joel saw himself as a bad guy either way, though.
In his mind, he was giving Ellie a shot at living a semi-peaceful existence and he had found another friend/substitute daughter.
More than outright good or evil, I'd say he was out for self but clearly was driven to extreme means to orotect/save those he loved.
He never recovered from Sarah's death and as such, couldn't let her stand in (Ellie) go.

I think the most interesting tidbit that folks tend to gloss over is that Joel was a hunter.

teacher

All Star
Daps
he was so mentally damaged that it is pointless to judge him. he's really the only protagonist with PTSD that i can remember playing with.

Max Payne or is that considered drug induced psychosis :patrice:

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
He was morally grey. It wasn't for certain the cure would be found but in the same breath, it was a selfish decision.
I don't think Joel saw himself as a bad guy either way, though.
In his mind, he was giving Ellie a shot at living a semi-peaceful existence and he had found another friend/substitute daughter.
More than outright good or evil, I'd say he was out for self but clearly was driven to extreme means to orotect/save those he loved.
He never recovered from Sarah's death and as such, couldn't let her stand in (Ellie) go.

I think the most interesting tidbit that folks tend to gloss over is that Joel was a hunter.
Snow White retelling?

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just finished the game. BAD. When he shot the first dude in the hospital I was like ":ohmy:He's not doing what I think he's doing is he?" I threw a molotov at myself to keep Joel from fukking everything up.

His descion betrayed everyone, namely Tess who gave her life for the sake of that cure. Hey also betrayed Ellie by lying. All for the sake of his feels, not wanting to lose his daughter figure. nikka is like 50 making descisons like a teenager. fukk a Joel :pacspit:
it was stated ingame that they found somebody who was immune and they failed to make a cure and the person died in the process so joel was in the right for saving her :umad:
He stated it and he was lying through his teeth.
Did any of y'all Fire on the Doctors before you saved Ellie?:patrice:

Lol I was low on health so I ran in there with the mini shotty like :violent::bustback:and blasted the first one

But as I was reloading I saw none of the doctors was trying to buss a move so....:unsure: Just grabbed her and dipped