Was i the only one that stopped watching Family Matters once it turned into the Steve Urkel show?

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the show really was a gift and a curse. It made Urkel famous but after the show he couldn’t transition to other roles. All the black actors were able to except him. The character urkel himself was too large.

KillerPups

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Binge watched it a few years and while it's silly AF I enjoyed it :yeshrug:

Myra was bad

Clayton Endicott

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
A lodge of the Saints John of Jerusalem
And the audience would always awwwww :noah:

I hate this fukking show
Especially after Steve fukked something up and Carl would snap on him and send his ass to the bushes :mjlol: Audience feeling sorry for him and shyt. His ass would have gotten the beats for some of the shyt he did.

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
watched Step by Step religiously on TGIF on ABC. couldn't recall a singular plot point.....
Watched Step by Step in real time every Friday until it was canceled.....re watched the whole series when it came to HBO Max a few years ago and enjoyed it...

still couldn't tell you a plot point if you paid me

i only remember Cody getting struck by lightning and screaming "DUDE :damn:"

JesusFOREVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
My Father in Heaven
Bruh, Jaleel saved the perfect strangers spinoff from being canceled after 2 seasons.

None of them would be remembered if it wasn't for him. Plus he was trying to put them on and think outside the box.

The nıgga got all the members of new edition together on the show. You know how hard that is?

Even though he became a main character, they still have spotlight to the surrounding cast and made Carl Winslow very entertaining. Even gangsta Urkel placed spotlight on Orlando Brown. Richie was being given mad love. Eddie before the trannies was a ladies man. Laura before menopause was attractive. Na.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Anyone that does not like Urkel is a psychopath.
Exactly, people can say whatever they want but this show had the entire nation in a chokehold at one point and Urkel was a pop culture phenomenon, it’s easy to say how bad it is now due to time but yall listing is out every plot point beat by beat so clearly you were invested then :lolbron:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
The 90s was 30 years ago. It was a different time and our appetites for entertainment wad different. A lot of shows had wonky plots and weird scenarios, not just Family Matters...

Urkel is one of the more famous child actors of an era flush with child stars. He was a household name it felt like, and by proxy, so was the show. People liked it more than hated it. I liked it, everyone I knew did...

But I was only 7 months old when the 90s started, and 10 when the 90s ended, so these are the eyes I watched it thru. Because with all that said, the show is horrible...

It's not simply that it aged poorly because most of Martin and A Different World aged gracefully and those are the two GOAT black sitcoms to me...

Living Single and Jamie Foxx aged fine. All of these shows get bad towards the end but most of Family Matters, even earlier years, is just goofy childlike entertainment...

And as an adult you can tell it was written by white people's perception of the black family. Which makes it double the worse...

Terrible, terrible rewatch. Great for its time, great for white amusement. But overall not a good show...

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Ya'll buggin

I watched Family Matters from season 1 to season 9. One of the greatest TV shows ever and is pure nostalgia

People like to shyt on this show because currently it's "the cool thing to do". It's so corny whenever I see threads or other social media posts like this
:mjlol::dead:

DaMos Supreme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hmmmm

Moesha I agree was trash but Wayan’s Bros was funny
The Bernie Mac show didn’t hit like that for me. Smart Guy i would put above some of those other shows but it had a short run (3* seasons)

I think Girlfriends should be in the top 10 also
The Bernie Mac Show got better as the the show progressed. I think that it didn’t hit with some, because folks were expecting the over the top, raw, scene-stealing Bernie full time, and the show was not as edgy as the classic comedy bit that it was based on (which we know had to be cleaned up for a mainstream cable family sitcom).

With that said, Without including any of the classics, I would rewatch The Bernie Mac Show, Moesha, The Wayans Bros, The Steve Harvey Show easily before Family Matters :hubie: .

Everybody Hates Chris was probably the last good-great black sitcom, IMO

Last edited: