Was i the only one that stopped watching Family Matters once it turned into the Steve Urkel show?

Timbs

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Urkel made that lame ass family relevant, he genuinely liked them though even if they didn't respect him enough. I'll never understand it, that lil nikka was crazy

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Exactly, people can say whatever they want but this show had the entire nation in a chokehold at one point and Urkel was a pop culture phenomenon, it’s easy to say how bad it is now due to time but yall listing is out every plot point beat by beat so clearly you were invested then :lolbron:
The “that couldn’t fly in this era” era ain’t no different than this lol. Clowning past shyt through a current year lens is the thing to do now. I mean there are people who would tell you that shows like Good Times and Sanford and Son didn’t age well knowing how those shows ran things on tv back then. :yeshrug:

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
so that means u stopped mid-way thru the first season then :rudy:

Na I hung in there.. I remember still watching it way after he became a regular character on the show and even when the storylines were clearly solely based on him. I liked urkel and I thought stephan was dope because we got to see jaleels acting abilities outside of being the shows resident clown... I guess when it started getting more and more ridiculous is when I gave up

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Steven Urkle was the star and funniest character on Family Matters

timeless

All Star
Daps
I stopped watching when Steve became Stephon
Had me :childplease: because they just took his glasses off and fixed that arch in his back.

I didn't really liked the show in itself, but I watched it anyway because my dad was from Chicago and it reminded me of him.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
First of all, the theme music is so trash. It just primes you for a mid show. FM is supposed to be a black show…where the bass and funk???

Jalel White had a really big ego, but the show wouldn’t have lasted past two seasons without him. The storylines were cringey and the characters were boring and uninteresting outside of Urkel. The black full house. No swag

All sitcoms age badly. Even the goats. The last season of Martin was unwatchable. So it’s not surprising FM aged like sour cream towards the end.

Plus it was ridiculous having a grown man act like some spazzy 13 year old, who had an unrequited crush going on 10 years.

Breh people praise Martin because of the first two seasons but the last two seasons are just terrible. You have a husband and wife who literally don’t appear in the same scenes for dozens of episodes

Martin botched his own show by not sticking to the script. We romanticize the early days of the show because it was that good but it stumbled badly at the middle and end.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Breh people praise Martin because of the first two seasons but the last two seasons are just terrible. You have a husband and wife who literally don’t appear in the same scenes for dozens of episodes

Martin botched his own show by not sticking to the script. We romanticize the early days of the show because it was that good but it stumbled badly at the middle and end.
Season 3 was great. Gina left second half of season 5. She was there the whole season 4, which wasn’t as great as the first 3, but definitely had some classics (like the DMV episode).

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
Probably since that's when the show blew up
They said it was about to get cancelled before that
Something similar happened with 227 and Jackie. Jackie actually got a spin off show but it flopped. I think family matters came out after 227 so they probably peeped that and kept Urkel on family matters and just centered the show around him
227 and Roc were both Saturday night shows

:flabbynsick:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I stopped watching when he started turning into Bruce Lee and I wqs totally done when it went to CBS. Never saw an episode.

I hope everyone used those last few seasons to pay off their mortgages