Was Arnold Schwarzenegger ever the number one star in Hollywood?

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never fukked with the first 2 Terminators? Wow. Don't hear that often.

Sly has the Oscars, Arnold has the title tho. But it's not a blow out. They both have franchises and failures. Arnold had more success with comedy tho. Sly had more success with reviving Rocky then Arnold did Terminator tho. At least critically.

Imagine stallone in a battle with Sinbad over turbo man in Jingle all the way

:mjlol::mjlol:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Rock might be #1 for years but he's in a weak era for real movie stars...the idea of a movie star is mostly dead. Actors who can sell major movies on their own. It's now all about IP and franchises.

Arnold was around when Hanks, Cruise, Stallone, Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis and others were all huge stars. Plus Arnold's 80s and early 90s run was incredible, not just in terms of box office but in the quality of the films. Dude was dropping actual classics.

Rock drops nothing but throwaway garbage...no one is watching San Andreas or Jumanji in 20 years.
Perfectly stated.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
For a while he was.

Bill Burr nailed it on Arnold's career.

How many lifetimes would it take you to move to another country, then get famous for lifting weights while helping to popularize it as a sport, then become a movie star when you can't even speak the language well, then marry into that country's royalty, and then hold political office over the largest state in the country?

Arnold was in the zone for decades. If you watch Pumping Iron his personality just flies off the screen. He's more entertaining in that documentary than a lot of movie starts are in blockbusters.

I actually thing Arnold is an underrated actor, as crazy as that might sound. He's more of a movie star than an actor, and he's not a great actor in the traditional sense of the word, but he definitely studied the craft and is better at it than he had any right to be on paper.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Never fukked with the first 2 Terminators? Wow. Don't hear that often.

Sly has the Oscars, Arnold has the title tho. But it's not a blow out. They both have franchises and failures. Arnold had more success with comedy tho. Sly had more success with reviving Rocky then Arnold did Terminator tho. At least critically.
Arnold's an underrated comedic actor too. He's got great comedic timing and if he has legit comedian to bounce off of, he's usually really funny.

Comedy's a hard genre. I think Denzel even said he thought it was maybe the hardest genre in his opinion. For anyone to not come from a comedic background and do well in comedy movies is a pretty admirable feat. Stallone, Willis, and others tried the comedy route, but Arnold was really the only American action star to do it and not have it seem forced.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Arnold's an underrated comedic actor too. He's got great comedic timing and if he has legit comedian to bounce off of, he's usually really funny.

Comedy's a hard genre. I think Denzel even said he thought it was maybe the hardest genre in his opinion. For anyone to not come from a comedic background and do well in comedy movies is a pretty admirable feat. Stallone, Willis, and others tried the comedy route, but Arnold was really the only American action star to do it and not have it seem forced.
Truth.

Willis was more funny in his non comedies than his actual comedies ie. Hudson Hawk, one of the worst movies of the 90s. He had blind date early in his career I might be forgetting other roles he did that were comedic. Stallone was funny in Demolition Man and Tango and Cash.

But yeah Arnold is very funny, his voice and accent work in his favor.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Truth.

Willis was more funny in his non comedies than his actual comedies ie. Hudson Hawk, one of the worst movies of the 90s. He had blind date early in his career I might be forgetting other roles he did that were comedic. Stallone was funny in Demolition Man and Tango and Cash.

But yeah Arnold is very funny, his voice and accent work in his favor.
And he’s a great physical actor. And that’s everything in comedy as well. He can nail movements and expressions and just knows how to position himself. All the shyt he did in T2 is amplified when he’s in a comedy

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
I'm not counting Guardians lol. Just like I don't count Arnold showing up in Around the world in 80 days. But Arnold is also in Expendales

Well then thats not an objective statement, homie. Movie quality is purely subjective. I know that's a constant debate on here but im firmly on the side that its subjective as hell and based on so many factors that have to do with us personally
You’re not wrong by any means but those three movies he did are semi decent lol

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
And he’s a great physical actor. And that’s everything in comedy as well. He can nail movements and expressions and just knows how to position himself. All the shyt he did in T2 is amplified when he’s in a comedy
No doubt. Especially in Twins, his awkwardness and naivety was gold.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You’re not wrong by any means but those three movies he did are semi decent lol

Right right im with you on that. I love the rundown but I just always take issue with cats acting like there's some empirical objectivity to movies; that's complete and utter bullshyt and its all media-driven anyway. We believe certain people and certain lists to be gatekeepers and tastemakers so we go with that. Ignoring there's no "objectivity" there since its still their opinions. But yeah im digressing; The Rundown is still my favorite Rock movie. Also think his Hercules movie is slept on