Was Arnold Schwarzenegger ever the number one star in Hollywood?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
For a while he was.

Bill Burr nailed it on Arnold's career.

How many lifetimes would it take you to move to another country, then get famous for lifting weights while helping to popularize it as a sport, then become a movie star when you can't even speak the language well, then marry into that country's royalty, and then hold political office over the largest state in the country?

Arnold was in the zone for decades.

This.

This is a ridiculous life story.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
I don't even think this is true, Rock been the #1 star and is competing with Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Will Smith and the fukking Avengers. The fact he's been #1 for any period when he's competing against Marvel, DC, Star Wars and other established juggernauts speaks volumes about how well he's done so far.

All that shyt you mentioned is IP. Vin Diesel ain't a real movie star...Fast & Furious (and voice work on Guardians) is all he's got. He's never been able to open films by himself. Tom Cruise fell off and now has to rely on the M:I franchise for hits. Denzel ain't the star he was either. He ain't dropping monster hits like dudes in the 80s was. Will Smith is completely washed, and all that other shyt is IP/franchises.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Truth.

Willis was more funny in his non comedies than his actual comedies ie. Hudson Hawk, one of the worst movies of the 90s. He had blind date early in his career I might be forgetting other roles he did that were comedic. Stallone was funny in Demolition Man and Tango and Cash.

But yeah Arnold is very funny, his voice and accent work in his favor.
No doubt. That's a good point. Bruce was funnier in the Die Hard flicks than he was in Cop Out.

Demolition Man is one of my favorite action flicks too. I always loved it for Snipes, but Stallone held his own too.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
I think the only movie of Bruce's where he played against his usual type that I liked was Death Becomes Her. He played a good, pathetic schmuck in that movie. That may be the only time that he's ever played that kind of role now that I think about it.

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
Terminator 2, The Eraser, and True Lies , he was everywhere (as much as you could be) back then.
yeah he is the greatest action star of all time and that run solidified it. no matter what he did after he could still fall back on those. The Rock is just the next progression of that and he's a more diverse actor and gave give a few more emotional looks than Arnie.

87 others

Superstar
Daps
man the stallone v arnie beef is some :russ:

rumor was that arnie "made" stallone do Stop or my mom will shoot by lying about it...saying he was going to do it, so stallone scooped it up first
I don’t care how much Stallone tries to rewrite history - he was always Arnie’s son. Dude was an arthouse dork that started buffing up and trying to be tough in his 20’s while Arnold was a straight up alpha male his whole life.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
I dont agree with sentiment that Rock didnt have any good movies outside of the franchises or the kevin hart collabs

Scorpion King
Gridiron Gang
Faster
Pain & Gain
The Rundown
Snitch

He did his thing in these movies

the jumanji flicks are lot better than they had any right to be

but i do agree with rock playing it safe with his movie choices. he needs to take more risks he has the star power to do it

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
yeah he is the greatest action star of all time and that run solidified it. no matter what he did after he could still fall back on those. The Rock is just the next progression of that and he's a more diverse actor and gave give a few more emotional looks than Arnie.

i like rock as an actor but nah..arnold is still the superior actor