Was Arnold Schwarzenegger ever the number one star in Hollywood?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I knew I forgot one. But that’s 1 certified hit on his own in about 10 years.
It’s a different environment now though. Audiences don’t really flock to see one star; we can see them on social media all damn day. Audiences will come out to see them interact with other stars tho. Rock just playing the hand he’s dealt

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
eraser is so underratered. i remember seeing it in a theater in vegas and that shyt was dope.

eraser_shoots.gif

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
Ahnuld had one of the Goat runs in the 80s-90s. When you think of man movies it's him, Stallone, and Van Damme:ufdup:
Yup. Helluva fukking run. Despite barely able to speak comprehensible English he dropped hit after hit. He was the king of entertaining movies.
Stallone was right behind him. Van Damme was right behind those two. Honorable mention to Steven Segal. He had a dominant run until he became a fat man and started doing Navy Seal straight to Netflix movies

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Facts! Though, do you feel Rock has the potential to make better movies than Arnold??

I think Rock can be every bit the star Arnold was. Some will say The Rock is bigger and his films made more money even when adjusted for inflation, but The Rock does not choose anything groundbreaking. To me, he comes from the Will Smith school of picking movies. Will has just fortunate enough to pick better movies.

Rock definitely has the appeal, the charisma, the physique. It's just a shame he picks these soft PG13s or he attaches himself to other people's property.

I almost feel if the story was tweaked, he could've made some legendary films.

What if Doom was produced and had more of a Total Recall/Evil Dead feel to it.

What if Central Intelligence was a Hard R, buddy cop film.

To answer the question, I think Arnold was arguably the biggest star in Hollywood from 87 to 94. There were a couple in his orbit, Eddie, Deniro, Pacino...of course Stallone.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Rock might be #1 for years but he's in a weak era for real movie stars...the idea of a movie star is mostly dead. Actors who can sell major movies on their own. It's now all about IP and franchises.

Arnold was around when Hanks, Cruise, Stallone, Mel Gibson, Bruce Willis and others were all huge stars. Plus Arnold's 80s and early 90s run was incredible, not just in terms of box office but in the quality of the films. Dude was dropping actual classics.

Rock drops nothing but throwaway garbage...no one is watching San Andreas or Jumanji in 20 years.

I don't even think this is true, Rock been the #1 star and is competing with Vin Diesel, Tom Cruise, Denzel Washington, Will Smith and the fukking Avengers. The fact he's been #1 for any period when he's competing against Marvel, DC, Star Wars and other established juggernauts speaks volumes about how well he's done so far.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Conan The Barbarian
Conan The Destroyer
The Terminator
Red Sonja
Commando
Predator
The Running Man
Twins
Total Recall
Kindergarten Cop
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Last Action Hero
True Lies

When The Rock, or anyone for that matter, beats that then someone @ me. Please.

I'm surprised Arnold didn't get into directing more. His Tales From The Crypt episode "The Switch" was solid.

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The rock being #1 is mostly marketing hype. He’ll put assess in seats, but nowhere close to what Prime Arnold did. Hell, if you takeaway franchise films (Fast Series), and Kevin Heart, the Rock doesn’t really have shyt. Hercules flopped, rampage didn’t flop, but was meh, Baywatch flopped. What hits does he have?
This one percent facts. I can’t name one rock movie I liked. They all feel the same