VOTE or DIE: Years later. How do we view Red Dead Redemption 2?

Rate RDR2

• 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • 4/5⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • 3/5⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • 2/5⭐⭐

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 1/5⭐

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Two major problem; Plot and Gameplay related.

Shoutout to NakeyJakey's video on it; but, it's hand holding style that Rockstar needs to move on from. If your gonna have a story open world game, then make the way we deal with the story more open.

Plot - the whole island thing was OD. At that point I'd already was ready to murk Dutch. The ending dragged on too much.

Still the GREATEST open world--realistic world, btw--sim that I ever played. I legit Roleplayed like a cowboy. I heard Online was ass--only played like one hour.

The writing and characters and lore was as dope as the Mass Effect series. I loved the combat.

But, at worst, Top 5 PS4 game I ever played.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
5/5, easily. One of the easiest games to lose hours to. Story is absolutely heartbreaking when you consider both what happens in RDR1, and the belief that you could see RDR2 is a game about the old RockStar falling apart.

5/5.

Crazy how both RDR games are Rockstar's best narratively

It's because they're not weighted down by the expectation that there needs to be heavy satire and humor elements like in GTA. They low key tried heading that direction with GTA IV, but folks weren't really fukking with it.

Good points. The only thing that really felt forced to me was how kind everybody in Dutch's gang was to Tilly, Charles, and Lenny (R.I.P.).
In a group full of rednecks, nobody showed any :mjpls: ?
That part didn't pass the realism test.

Ayo, this take is WILD. Don't think I've ever seen brehs ask for MORE racism in a game. :dead:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
I know how they line up chronologically, I just don't want a drop in gameplay quality to affect the experience. Or will it not matter?
I think the opposite will happen, you'll play 2 and hate the controls, then you 'll play 1 (which was before R* started jerking themselves off over realism in their games) and find the controls much snappier and the game much more fun to play

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
5/5, easily. One of the easiest games to lose hours to. Story is absolutely heartbreaking when you consider both what happens in RDR1, and the belief that you could see RDR2 is a game about the old RockStar falling apart.

It's because they're not weighted down by the expectation that there needs to be heavy satire and humor elements like in GTA. They low key tried heading that direction with GTA IV, but folks weren't really fukking with it.

Ayo, this take is WILD. Don't think I've ever seen brehs ask for MORE racism in a game. :dead:
I didn't want more racism in the game, & I don't know how you guys got that from what I wrote. All I said was that it wasn't realistic that a bunch of southern whites in the late 1800's would be so kind to the Black characters. The devs even wrote in lines for Lenny to say the same thing during the mission where he gets drunk with Arthur.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I know how they line up chronologically, I just don't want a drop in gameplay quality to affect the experience. Or will it not matter?
It won't matter, I'd even argue you'll find that 1 feels better than 2

Also 1 has a better story than 2 and you may feel soured or annoyed having to go back in time after seeing that story

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Still haven't played it, I'll get to it eventually :manny:

Still undecided if I should play the first one beforehand or not :patrice:
If you ain't get to these yet just play 1.
2 is a whole ass Odyssey.

I do agree that going from 2 to 1 will be better gameplay wise but you'll probably be burned out at the end of 2.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I never understood the sluggish controls argument.

This isn't an FPS so I never expected it to perform like CoD. And the game holds your hand, by default, when shooting. Gameplay gets extremely easy once you get used to it. I was sniping snipers with pistols, on horseback.

All that hand holding goes away in pvp- online mode. That's when the controls go to shyt, on the console.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I never understood the sluggish controls argument.

This isn't an FPS so I never expected it to perform like CoD. And the game holds your hand, by default, when shooting. Gameplay gets extremely easy once you get used to it. I was sniping snipers with pistols, on horseback.

All that hand holding goes away in pvp- online mode. That's when the controls go to shyt, on the console.
The game is realistic to a fault

Not a lot of flair or interesting gameplay when you are just using old guns and dynamite

I do like both's limb based damage mechanics tho where depending on where you shoot the enemy they'll limp or only use one hand

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I think the opposite will happen, you'll play 2 and hate the controls, then you 'll play 1 (which was before R* started jerking themselves off over realism in their games) and find the controls much snappier and the game much more fun to play

It won't matter, I'd even argue you'll find that 1 feels better than 2

Also 1 has a better story than 2 and you may feel soured or annoyed having to go back in time after seeing that story

If you ain't get to these yet just play 1.
2 is a whole ass Odyssey.

I do agree that going from 2 to 1 will be better gameplay wise but you'll probably be burned out at the end of 2.

:ehh:

Good stuff, gents. Thank you.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
Should’ve named it something other than RDR2 when it’s a prequel :francis:

Red Dead
Red Dead Rebellion
Red Dead Revolution

Something :snoop: