Viola Davis: If I’m A Black Meryl Streep, Then ‘Pay Me What I’m Worth'

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I love how when you get wealthy, you shift from being a black person to a person of color. I have had to lecture young black students on why being a person of color is an insult (basically comes from slavery when to be described as black = slave. The "person of color" was a way to say i am not black, not a slave :mjpls:

Daps
I love Viola but she needs to be strategic To me, this just ensures these white Hollywood execs aren't gonna tap her for a role they might've otherwise tapped her for.

Let them come to you, then bring up your terms and how you feel you're on streep's level and should command comparable pay. Going to the media and saying this shyt probably will work against her.

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y'all need to stop responding to this Todd 2012 character. Dude clearly aint right in the head.

But yea, it's high time black ppl start demanding our worth. I just got a 10k raise cause the upper management in my company got word that i had another offer.

yeah right shut the fukk up, no one asked you about a fake lame ass raise, lying gay ass nikka trying to boost your ego on thecoli, reply now you insecure low self esteem fakkit. :russ:

Last edited:

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Thecoli will diss uk black actors for getting all the work, but they aint bytching though, they are just building up their resumes. Shonda Rhimes aint paying viola shyt but she won't call her out.

Yep, that's why everyone is pro-Oprah in her tiff with Monique.

The coli is down with powers screwing the worker.

You need to stop complaining and working harder and smarter

:yeshrug:
That's the same worldview that makes shooting young brothers down okay

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Davis said she’s tired of hustling to prove herself. “It’s gotten to the point [where] I’m no longer doing that,” she said. “I’m not hustling for my worth. I’m worthy. When I came out of my mom’s womb, I came in worthy.”

She went on to encourage young actors of color not to settle for less. “You’ll have a Shailene Woodley, who’s fabulous. And she may have had 37 magazine covers in one year. 37! And then you’ll have someone — a young actress of color who’s on her same level of talent and everything. And she may get four. And there is sense in our culture that you have to be happy with that,” she explained.

Oh.

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep, that's why everyone is pro-Oprah in her tiff with Monique.

The coli is down with powers screwing the worker.

You need to stop complaining and working harder and smarter

:yeshrug:
That's the same worldview that makes shooting young brothers down okay

Let's see what happens to monique in the future. remember when megan fox was bytching about hollyweird and got blackballed. The same with molly ringwald in the 90s.

This is not just a black problem, once you call these hollyshyt emotional people out in public, your career ends. :manny:

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
Naw nikka
No its really not. Who are we to tell Monique or viola how much they're worth?

I'm you're offered a new job you don't negotiate?

Why should Monique an Oscar winning actress comedian be paid less than her white counterparts?

Same with Viola Davis, of course Monique isn't as refined as viola but the message is still the same.

They're going into these meeting with execs who are saying "you're so talented, we love you, we'd love to work with you" but they end up low balling them.
The thing is, you do tell them how much they're worth in the way you support or don't support them. If Mo Nique isn't producing material that makes you want to run out and see her stand up or go watch a movie with her, the execs are going to use that as an excuse not to pay.

I think Viola Davis has more of a gripe because she is always being nominated for Oscars and just won one, she's on one of the top rated tv shows, and have won an Emmy or 2 for that. Maybe Viola needs a better agent. Also, Davis probably needs to attach herself to any and every project that Denzel is a part of, the same way Chiwetel Ejiofor did.

As good as she is, she's still an average looking Black woman in Hollywood and until all the average, bubble eyed white actresses die off, mainstream roles are going to be few and far between for her.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It's their money, it's their movies, it is what it is. If you signed the contract, that means you accepted the pay. Why would a company pay a dollar more than what they can get away with? Maybe she should get better representation.
This.

I swear a lot of problems are quick fixes.

Simply walk away.

Streep would walk away if not given what she feels she’s worth.