Vinyl - (Martin Scorsese & Terrence Winter/HBO/70's Music Series)

Forlife44

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why u say that? We hardly know the backstory at this point?
I thought his dad was wearing a wire because the cops played a tape of the conversation he had with him in his office. But now that I think about it I think the guy that was working in his office when richie walked in was bugging the room. That's why he said he will come back and left out so quick he was carrying a green tool box

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
10 mins into the pilot, not writing it off, but this seems like yet another cliche laden romanticizing of the 70's

High flying glamorous job - check
Mention how tough and ballsy you are - check
Street cat turned to self made millionaire - check
Main character full on tough guy complete with NY accent - check
Blow habit - check
Hookers - check
Runs with a pack of miscreant mobsters (the money man, the enforcer, etc) - check
First person narration - check

:russell:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
"It's a known fact that Melato's can't hold their liquor. I'd come home and she'd be SAUce'd

Finestra with that racist fire when he found out that Hannibal got her wet :mjpls:

Did I hear that correctly, that Richie is what old-time racists would call a quadroon?
If so, that like to his wife about Hannibal would seem to indicate that she doesn't know and he's passing as totally white.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Did I hear that correctly, that Richie is what old-time racists would call a quadroon?
If so, that like to his wife about Hannibal would seem to indicate that she doesn't know and he's passing as totally white.

I don't think he said "mulatto", I think he was saying Richie's mother side of the family can't hold their liquor. Melato is an Italian surname

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill

I don't think he said "mulatto", I think he was saying Richie's mother side of the family can't hold their liquor. Melato is an Italian surname
I thought he said mulatto too but it's probably Melato

I don't think having a black grandparent in 70s NYC would be much to hide in a world populated by Andy Warhol and the like anyway

Maybe back in the neighborhood but Richie Aprile prolly woulda moved out if he wanted to marry a black woman so badly :yeshrug:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

I think it would make sense if some of his racism was hidden self-hatred. Plus, when he told his other ex-girlfriend that his wife was more beautiful and she looked like him, maybe it was because his wife was "whiter" and would hide his genes better.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
I think it would make sense if some of his racism was hidden self-hatred. Plus, when he told his other ex-girlfriend that his wife was more beautiful and she looked like him, maybe it was because his wife was "whiter" and would hide his genes better.

I thought he said mulatto too but it's probably Melato

I don't think having a black grandparent in 70s NYC would be much to hide in a world populated by Andy Warhol and the like anyway

Maybe back in the neighborhood but Richie Aprile prolly woulda moved out if he wanted to marry a black woman so badly :yeshrug:

Could be, but Italian, jewish and Irish American people didn't and still don't consider themselves "white" in an American sense.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Could be, but Italian, jewish and Irish American people didn't and still don't consider themselves "white" in an American sense.
I agree that there is no racial component here and that he said Melato

Any seeds of Richie bring some self hating black man looking to bury his roots look like pure coli talk at this point to be honest