Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mindblown: Because the Rolling Stones are hard to replace. He mentions Pac and Big because they are hard to replace. You think Vince Staples doesn't like ANY 90s hip hop. You think he's saying there are no irreplaceable 90s acts? What is wrong with you cats? :dwillhuh:

You can't "restore the feeling" because there is no replacement for it. Is this not one of the biggest knocks against new cats like Joey Badass who try to mimic the sound but fall short according to the hip hop gatekeepers?:jbhmm:

you nikkas man :russ:....nikka talks about the fukkn pokemon in the video

No, it's not even all that. Just say you don't understand why the 90's gets the praise that it does and keep it moving. He said "Biggie and 2 Pac, those are the staples of the ’90s, I think that’s why they get the golden era credit". You look at his producer, and artists from the 90's that are still relevant and then go back and say “The ’90s get a lot of credit, I don’t really know why,”. On top of that, the producer and writer of some of Bow Wow's music (which he lists as a favorite) made his name in the 90's.

I'm not saying he doesn't like 90's music or that he's calling it wack. Again, what he's saying doesn't make sense. Yes, guys that sound like someone from a previous era will always get that "he sounds like..." tag until they do something to differentiate themselves. It also happened to rappers in the 90's. It happens to most, if not all musicians. It's called a point of reference.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm honestly tired of laughing breh. :manny:

At some point these new rappers gotta say something of weight and consequence. I'm tired of, every time someone says something stupid, or puts on a dress, or clearly has no idea what the fukk they're talking about....it's "oh it's for attention, he's trolling".

Is everybody trolling, or are some of these cats legitimately fukking stupid? :francis:

Fred.

This.

It wasn't exactly funny when J-Kwon claimed that Raekwon bit his name from him.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
This... is a damn lie. You were 5-6 when DMX was King. You were 12 in 2005 b, by that point DMX was close to finished.

not really.
my little brother was born the same year as Redwing and used to play X's Grand Champ like it was the best thing ever.

i think it was the first album he ever got, that or that Linkin Park album album that was everywhere.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
No, it's not even all that. Just say you don't understand why the 90's gets the praise that it does and keep it moving. He said "Biggie and 2 Pac, those are the staples of the ’90s, I think that’s why they get the golden era credit". You look at his producer, and artists from the 90's that are still relevant and then go back and say “The ’90s get a lot of credit, I don’t really know why,”. On top of that, the producer and writer of some of Bow Wow's music (which he lists as a favorite) made his name in the 90's.

I'm not saying he doesn't like 90's music or that he's calling it wack. Again, what he's saying doesn't make sense. Yes, guys that sound like someone from a previous era will always get that "he sounds like..." tag until they do something to differentiate themselves. It also happened to rappers in the 90's. It happens to most, if not all musicians. It's called a point of reference.

My dog; you want him to say "I don't understand why the 90s era gets that praise"

He said: "I guess that's why the 90s gets the Golden Age credit, I'm not sure why"

The huge discrepancies between those two statements is what again?

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
My dog; you want him to say "I don't understand why the 90s era gets that praise"

He said: "I guess that's why the 90s gets the Golden Age credit, I'm not sure why"

The huge discrepancies between those two statements is what again?

"I never really got a chance to listen to 90s music like that. I'm young so that was before my time" simple, factual, inoffensive statement. The problem is you young nikkas think you can say anything without backlash. That's not how the world works. It's free speech not free of consequences.

Yoda

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hip Hop
He's a professional musician breh. I expect him to do his homework. It's literally his job

lmao. makin up rules now?
vince staples is a dope artist, if he doesnt like the 90s...so the fukk what? idgaf, just keep droppin that heat kid.

Imlinkin

Banned
Daps
I havent figuered out if I have old 90s ears or if today's music is just trash. I cant rock with the swag generation, gun finger gestures in the video, whiny autotune, lyrically deficient shortys rapping today

:francis:

I try to take the high road though. Like Pac said, "Dont have to bump this but please respect it."

It happens every generation. When jazz first came out, old heads were calling it devils music and couldnt rock with the 'suggestive' devil music of the youth. Maybe chief keef will be complaining about artists in 2025 if he hasnt OD'd on lean.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL

Time caught up with Long Beach rapper Vince Staples recently to talk musical tastes and influences. In a video interview, Staples dismisses the notion that the ’90s had the greatest music, noting that he’s never listened to an album by *NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys or the Spice Girls.

“The ’90s get a lot of credit, I don’t really know why,” Staples said. “Biggie and 2 Pac, those are the staples of the ’90s, I think that’s why they get the golden era credit.”

Vince then went on to champion early 2000s-era rap, citing the emergence of 50 Cent and Kanye West as well as the ascension of Jay Z and an unlikely first rap memory.

“The first song I remember listening to is Lil Bow Wow’s ‘Bounce with Me.’ Lil Bow Wow is one of my favorite rappers ever, you can never take that from me.”

Perhaps a mission statement of sorts, Vince also celebrated artists like the Rolling Stones who could never be replaced and thus remain relevant today.

“When there’s a replacement for something, it will always go away.” Staples noted. “In hop hop we have a habit of copying each other, we pretend to be something that were not. I’m lucky enough to be from a place that’s diverse enough that everybody mixed up in the pot.”

Staples ended the video interview meditating on the concept of authenticity and realness.

“What’s real?” he asked. “Real meaning urban and aggressive, is that what we mean by real? Your life is your life, no matter what that is I think that should be what your music is about, your outlook on life.”

The full interview can be streamed here.

Read More: Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL | Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL

SMH

Oh my fukking God, I hate this dude.

1. How can you say something you have never listened to is overrated?

2. That whole quote about realness ("“What’s real?” he asked. “Real meaning urban and aggressive, is that what we mean by real?") reeks of self-hate. A lot of these kids are dealing with issues of hating stereotypical ideas of themselves, but they hate on each other instead of examining why those stereotypes exist in the first place smh. They want to be *different* types of Black soooo bad they tear down other Black people and big up whiteness.