Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's not the point you dumb fukk.

The point is he doesn't know anything about 90s music to call it overrated. His reference to the 90s is Biggie and Pac. Literally that's all he knows about it. That's like me only knowing Cyndi Lauper and calling the 80s wacks. The fukk? It's ignorant.

lol.

I was about to say, I stopped reading when he made the generic cliche exception for biggie & 2pac

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Does he have any memories or nostalgia attached to the Rollingstones because he championed them? How can you say you don't know why the 90's get a lot of credit and then prop the Rollingstones and they pre-date the 90's? He's also citing Jay Z, who debuted and was huge in the 90's (late 90's, but still 90's). So yes, saying "I don't know why the 90's gets a lot of credit" and then championing the Rollingstones is outlandish especially if age, nostalgia, and memories are the basis for doing so.

He didn't champion the rolling stones in the way you're trying to illustrate. It's obvious you didn't watch the video. He states, "When there is a replacement for something, it will always go away. When you do something new, it's hard to find a replacement." Then he used two rock and roll hall of fame acts to illustrate his point. Then he goes, "in hip hop we tend to copy each other." This sentence is a connection to how rap fans view rap music as fast food.

Edit: and when you watch the video, which you didn't, you'll notice the "in hip hop we tend to copy each other" part looks spliced in. So it probably wasn't even a continuous thought. Watch the video.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
He didn't champion the rolling stones in the way you're trying to illustrate. It's obvious you didn't watch the video. He states, "When there is a replacement for something, it will always go away. When you do something new, it's hard to find a replacement." Then he used two rock and roll hall of fame acts to illustrate his point. Then he goes, "in hip hop we tend to copy each other." This sentence is a connection to how rap fans view rap music as fast food.

Shhhhhh shhhhh don't explain it to them. They don't want that. Fools these days don't want to know any of the following:

- The Context of a statement
- The Full Story
- The perspective of whoever made the statement

Dudes today just want to see that a rapper said something, then see the headline, so they have something to be mad about to get them thru their workday. Don't waste time trying to reason with them.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

1) The part you quoted is also in the OP which I already read. So whether I watched the video or not is irrelevant since you're not bringing anything to the table that was presented in the video that wasn't present in the OP.

2) Him championing the Rollingstones contradicts his thoughts on the 90's. You have several acts from the 90's that are still relevant and arguably irreplaceable especially when he's sitting there saying Bow Wow is one of his favorite rappers ever.

3) He said, he doesn't get why the 90's get a lot of credit, but then throws the Rollingstones into the hat as being 'hard to replace', but he's throwing an entire decade under the bus. Without the 90's, you don't have a Bow Wow. That's the problem. In that sense, the 90's are irreplaceable. That's not an argument. There's no Bow Wow or Vince Staples without the 90's.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Shhhhhh shhhhh don't explain it to them. They don't want that. Fools these days don't want to know any of the following:

- The Context of a statement
- The Full Story
- The perspective of whoever made the statement

Dudes today just want to see that a rapper said something, then see the headline, so they have something to be mad about to get them thru their workday. Don't waste time trying to reason with them.

Who's mad? The people defending what he said seem to be in their feelings. I'm pointing out that what he said about the 90's doesn't even make sense even when you put it into context. This isn't some old heads vs. the new school battle that it's being made out to be.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Who's mad? The people defending what he said seem to be in their feelings. I'm pointing out that what he said about the 90's doesn't even make sense even when you put it into context. This isn't some old heads vs. the new school battle that it's being made out to be.

It's not so much the 'being mad' part as it is the 'not even bother to find context' part.

But yes, dudes are also definitely salty in this thread.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1) The part you quoted is also in the OP which I already read. So whether I watched the video or not is irrelevant since you're not bringing anything to the table that was presented in the video that wasn't present in the OP.

2) Him championing the Rollingstones contradicts his thoughts on the 90's. You have several acts from the 90's that are still relevant and arguably irreplaceable especially when he's sitting there saying Bow Wow is one of his favorite rappers ever.

3) He said, he doesn't get why the 90's get a lot of credit, but then throws the Rollingstones into the hat as being 'hard to replace', but he's throwing an entire decade under the bus. Without the 90's, you don't have a Bow Wow. That's the problem. In that sense, the 90's are irreplaceable. That's not an argument. There's no Bow Wow or Vince Staples without the 90's.
:mindblown: Because the Rolling Stones are hard to replace. He mentions Pac and Big because they are hard to replace. You think Vince Staples doesn't like ANY 90s hip hop. You think he's saying there are no irreplaceable 90s acts? What is wrong with you cats? :dwillhuh:

You can't "restore the feeling" because there is no replacement for it. Is this not one of the biggest knocks against new cats like Joey Badass who try to mimic the sound but fall short according to the hip hop gatekeepers?:jbhmm:

you nikkas man :russ:....nikka talks about the fukkn pokemon in the video

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
“Lil Bow Wow is one of my favorite rappers ever, you can never take that from me.”

This is the first time I've ever seen these words in a sentence together in my entire life.:dead:

he's also said that Ray J is the most influential blood in the history of rap

at some point cats are gonna have to stop being emotional and laugh :heh:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
he's also said that Ray J is the most influential blood in the history of rap

at some point cats are gonna have to stop being emotional and laugh :heh:

I'm honestly tired of laughing breh. :manny:

At some point these new rappers gotta say something of weight and consequence. I'm tired of, every time someone says something stupid, or puts on a dress, or clearly has no idea what the fukk they're talking about....it's "oh it's for attention, he's trolling".

Is everybody trolling, or are some of these cats legitimately fukking stupid? :francis:

Fred.