Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Something I noticed about a lot rap fans in their mid 20s or so--they don't have the same curiousity about anything before their time the way we did in the 80s and 90s. Which is fine, but don't talk about the shyt if you're not gonna do your homework on it. Dude just sounds dumb as shyt, and older guys that know better will cosign it out of fear of sounding bitter.

fixed.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
It's fair to say that a young kid wouldn't be all into 90s hip hop. To not know much about it and make this statement is dumb but not some crazy comment. To follow it up with Lil Bow Wow being his favorite rapper growing up makes it completely absurd though. Not because he should have been into someone else, that's who he heard when he was younger, but to be ignorant to Snoop and Jermaine Dupri seems weird.

The new age rappers spend more time trolling in interviews to get things to 'go viral' than they do paying attention to the music that came before em.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
I've criticized the 90s for people acting like it was perfect. But it's one of the best periods any genre has ever had in music history. That's not even just my opinion, just check the amount of classic rated albums that came out. I'd say, Jazz in the late 50s/early 60s, rock n roll in the 60s, indie rock/pop in the 2000s, hard rock and art rock in the 70s, Motown era and hip hop in the golden era. Those are like eras when cats were shytting out classics that changed the climate of music in a major way and when countless classics were released in a relatively short period.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Well it's not like he mentioned a bunch of 90s rappers it seems like he meant 90s music in general, pop, R&B, rock, etc were overrated. He didn't say folks like Nas, Snoop, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Jay, Redman, LL were overrated. He's still putting his fanbase at risk though.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Well it's not like he mentioned a bunch of 90s rappers it seems like he meant 90s music in general, pop, R&B, rock, etc were overrated. He didn't say folks like Nas, Snoop, Wu-Tang, Outkast, Jay, Redman, LL were overrated. He's still putting his fanbase at risk though.
nope. the only people offended will be old ass coli dudes (aka people who don't go to his shows or buy his music)

letti cook

Superstar
Daps
say mayne...we all cyse the era we came up in. this nikka 22. 2000s is that shyt to him

I m 29. I didnt listen to rap seriously til the end of 96 after Pac died. So I cyse the fukk outta 97 to about 05. Alotta shyt before and after that era gets :patrice: for me.

When whippersnappers gotta hear old nikkas shyt on what they like constantly, they feel the need to defend.

I remember arguments with my uncle about my love for DMX. He tried to put me on Cube instead but at that point, Cube was the nikka from Friday to me. He thinking Cube the dopest nikka of all time and I just wasn't seeing it.:manny:

I remember being a kid and seeing Bow Wow for the first time at the end of that Nas, JD and Monica joint. So I get what he saying in the regard. That' s what he grew up on, even moreso than I did. He was 5 :manny: Is Bow Wow in my top 500..fukk no...but i get the nostalgia.

Some shyt you think is the absolute shyt, is really some "you had to be there" shyt. he wasnt there for 90s. I wasnt there for the first half of the 90s hip hop and yeah, some of that shyt they claim classic Im like
weebey.gif

especially if its east coast:yeshrug:

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This... is a damn lie. You were 5-6 when DMX was King. You were 12 in 2005 b, by that point DMX was close to finished.
?

I was listening to Hip Hop from as long as I can remember. Who told you I started listening to rap at 12? Lmao X gon give it to ya, where the hood at. Belly, Romeo Must Die is all fresh in my memory

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
It's funny this nikka got y'all so heated while he's known for his trolling shyt. Y'all too sensitive. :martin:

What's bad for him tho is that he's gonna be more remembered for his trolling antics than the actual music he put out, but that's his fault :manny:

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Why shouldn't he? Us OGs eroded the foundations of the culture that valued history, continuity and respect.
nah keep that us shyt. I'm 30 my cousins brothers sister's all listen to good shyt. from all regions but good. it's when the south and east went at it that hurt us I think. the south said fucc YOUR hip hop this is ours. southern artist gained influence and the east switched seats with um. the history starts in the east but history is written by the victor. bein a dope rapper is no longer impressive to a lot of today's fans for that reason. that's not what's loved no more. style beat out substance. Vince is no different he grew up after the west golden days. he's inspired by different artist and can't appreciate others.

he talkin out his ass hopin somethin sticc but I don't see nothin wrong with him feeling a way about the 90s. we made the 90s Michael Jordan. so no matter how good LeBron is he'll never be that. we won't let um. I know I won't tbh. these new nikkas fightin an uphill battle I understand the bitterness.

keep a bean from a 30 y/o
this past year has had a lot of good shyt. there's a lot of new nikkas I fucc wit now. we gotta calm down a lil on the nostalgia and appreciate the now, or move out the way. the issue ain't really bout the music it's the blurring of the line between genres. hip hop and pop are in the same now. r&b is dead and soul is on its death bed. THE CULTURE lost its edge.

I'm rambling on an off day tho proceed fellas

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
“The first song I remember listening to is Lil Bow Wow’s ‘Bounce with Me.’ Lil Bow Wow is one of my favorite rappers ever, you can never take that from me.”
The neega's trolling. I mean, come on.