Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Another thing... me and Vince are the same age

The earliest introduction of Bow Wow I can remember is that video with him and Snoop Dogg. I use to think Bow Wow was his son or some shyt

If Vince is from Long Beach, how the hell isn't he influenced by Snoop?

That's what threw me off. He said Big and Pac like Dre and Snoop weren't big enough to mention.... If it wasn't for the 90s and Snoop no one would be checking for rappers from Long Beach.

Feels like hes going for the shock factor, honestly. He doesn't have to fake love for the 90s but he should at least be aware of the Westcoast hip hop coming out then.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
This all started because homie said when he was growing up the rap stars were so and so, and he said DMX, and you said that's not true because he was 5 when DMX was at his height (He was really probably 6-7 because DMX's biggest years was 1999-2000, but whatever). Your argument made no sense, because I'm sure he was aware of who DMX was and was doing by age 5-6. He didn't say he was listening to MF Doom. He mentioned a rapper that was on TV and the radio constantly during an impressionable age. You went from DMX couldn't have been a star to him as a kid (which is illogical) to comprehending albums. That's another argument.

Maybe you're mentally challenged (all due respect), I don't know, but I was reading and comprehending a lot by 6. And I damn sure was listening to music and albums by then and could tell you what artists I liked. I wasn't gonna tell you who had the greatest lyrics or what was classic or no shyt like that, but I could tell you if I liked a song or not. Pretty simple. And most people develop their musically taste rather young. I don't know who waits that long to get into any genre of music (By 9 and 10 I was recording videos on my VHS). Kids was rapping by the second grade in my school. I was reciting the lyrics to OPP to my friends.
That's like me saying I grew up on Big & Pac. For me, it's just false. I knew who they were. I knew their singles, a few famous album cuts but that's it. I wouldn't say anyone in my gen was really up on them like that.

I grew up in a house of DJ's. So I wince when nikkas act on the internet like they was 7 year old hip hop heads. Even if you grew up in a household like mine - you were listening to singles. You aint know shyt. You aint really start understanding raps properly until 9ish.

If you born in the 90's, your opinions on 90's hip hop is 90% revisionism beyond local shyt.

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I stopped reading when he said Big and Pac were the staples of the 90s. Shows how much he knows.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
That's like me saying I grew up on Big & Pac. For me, it's just false. I knew who they were. I knew their singles, a few famous album cuts but that's it. I wouldn't say anyone in my gen was really up on them like that.

I grew up in a house of DJ's. So I wince when nikkas act on the internet like they was 7 year old hip hop heads. Even if you grew up in a household like mine - you were listening to singles. You aint know shyt. You aint really start understanding raps properly until 9ish.

If you born in the 90's, your opinions on 90's hip hop is 90% revisionism beyond local shyt.

Okay bro. lmaooo

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Internet is full of nikkas who never had consequences for reckless talk. nikka Nore one of them nikkas that's REALLY on shyt. Not now cause he's older but man... Aight
Lol trust me, I know. I've seen it first hand. But like you said, there's no repercussions nowadays. I'm just waiting for a young nikka, who don't know who he is, to talk out the side of their neck with Maino lol...he still with the shyts. Heavy.

DMGAINGREEN

Transitioning from Sec 8 to tha Sky scrapes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
Man listen.....
I think NORE bubbly personality be having niccas deceived , it's distracts niccas from the fact NORE was actually a shooter and wouldn't hesitate to buss his heat , Vince gon come to his senses and do his research on NORE past and be like :merchant:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I think NORE bubbly personality be having niccas deceived , it's distracts niccas from the fact NORE was actually a shooter and wouldn't hesitate to buss his heat , Vince gon come to his senses and do his research on NORE past and be like :merchant:
Man I've seen Nore and his crew wreck an entire spot one night. Nore was an animal back in the days

RichYung

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol trust me, I know. I've seen it first hand. But like you said, there's no repercussions nowadays. I'm just waiting for a young nikka, who don't know who he is, to talk out the side of their neck with Maino lol...he still with the shyts. Heavy.
My brother is their age. He runs with "The Fam" (SF) nikka I have COUNTLESS stories about how NORE got busy lol. And Maino is FULLLL on still in the mix. Somebody gonna goof up and he's gonna smack their soul out. Maino be at all the spots too. In NY, and outta town.