Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

Flight

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
KC
Vince trolls a lot but I'm not surprised by him saying that. He didn't even give a shyt about rap seriously until a couple years ago so I'm not surprised he doesn't care for the 90's. Rather him be honest about this than do some fake nostalgic act.

ThaRealness

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Madison
Let's keep it 100 though... Pushing all the mainstream shyt aside (Lil Bow Wow and 50 Cent can :camby:) Dilla, Madlib, Kanye Just Blaze, 9th and Alc, really took hip hop to another level, musically.

As a hardcore hip hop fan, discovering alot of 2000s classics for the first time, like Lord Steppington, Connected, No Poison No Paradise, A Cold Day in Hell and some of Dilla's more obscure stuff... it's hard to go back to the 90s :damn:

I mean you compare an album like Dah Shinin, or Hell on Earth to the kaleidoscope of creativity that is Madvillainy... shyt aint even fair

Legends never die though - No one will ever be able to emulate what RZA and Dre did in their prime

Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm so confused by this post. How can Vince be trying to discredit Nore, when Nore was the first one to comment on Vince's choice of music at 9yrs old?
I thought that him saying that no one was messing with East Coast artists back then was petty and a lie. This would be the early 00s, he's talking about. I get why he'd retaliate after being called out by NORE tho. I think he's just trolling or following in line with the current mentality of youth to dismiss anything pre2000

NotaPAWG

Banned
Daps
He said Bow Wow was the first rapper he listened to. That is not comparable to Young Thug wearing a dress or ASAP Rocky talking about racism doesn't exist anymore.

This is crazy that there is a 3 page thread on this considering that Vince Staples's entire discography is about the socio-economic hardships of black minorities

:clap:

HARLEM AL

Your broad loves me.....
Daps
Reppin
Harlem, NYC
Who starts listening to rap at 12? Lol. I was listening to rap when I was 4. That's my first recollection of it. Y'all act like you have to be a preteen to get into music. I got my first rap album when I was 5-6.
Right, I was listening to Richard Pryor and on kind of shyt that wasn't for kids at like 6 and 7:laff:

80s baby, flattop me my nikkas:mjcry:

Uncle Kendrick

I'm just bout that action
Daps
Reppin
Brick City
This is my problem with these wet behind the ears breath smelling like similac dudes. They jump into an art form that's well established and they act like what they spittin is groundbreaking. These new nikkas need to humble themselves and understand why 90s hip hip is revered as the golden age. It's not hype the music during that time speaks for itself.