Vince Staples: "90s Music overrated"

raoulduke187

All Star
Daps
I have legit never heard of this nikka, so who is he to have an opinion on this?

Also this is something only a moron would say

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
This is one of the ways cacs always steal our music and sell it back to us. They go back and listen to the classics from other eras, then synthesize it into the new shyt to make music...look at that band Tuxedo or how Macklemore brought out Grandmaster Flash and those other 80s hip hop dudes. Or go on a cac music board like /mu/ and see how much they pass around old records amongst each other.

Black people, for some reason we don't respect our classics and are always on the new shyt...which is partly why we have a million lean sipping pillhead mumble rapper clones right now.

Underated post.

Anyways I'm a Vince fan but yeah this is some bs, no matter how you wanna look at it. This is how young brehs will listen to him and not study an important aspect of their own culture.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No, it would be like Harrison Barnes saying Larry Bird is overrated, and Earl Boykins was the first person he saw play
And basically its a red flag saying "Don't take my opinion seriously, especially when it comes to MY actual profession"

This kind of attitude is unique to hip-hop for some reason. shyt is like the Dark Ages now where they're trying to destroy the history and rewrite it. No other art or profession has such apathy towards its ancestors and history. You dont listen to it, you dont care? Cool. Keep your mouth shut when its brought up then :martin:

Last edited:

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
?

I was listening to Hip Hop from as long as I can remember. Who told you I started listening to rap at 12? Lmao X gon give it to ya, where the hood at. Belly, Romeo Must Die is all fresh in my memory
Those are singles my g. You listened to It's Dark & Hell is Hot those times? Even Grand Champ.

I'm born in '90 and I wouldn't say I grew up on DMX. Yeah I knew the singles, had a few albums but I was too young to understand properly. I remember my moms bought No Way Out, Life After Death & Pac Greatest Hits - I still didn't grow up off that. I just wanted to hear Hypnotize, Changes, Been Around the World. I remember BIG & Pac but that wasn't my generation.

I don't think you truly begin to understand music until 9-12 and with any credence to 12-13 at the earliest. What CD's did you personally get listen to? What albums did you get? We had hella singles in my house but the first albums I proper listened to was around 10. Then a bit later the music influences your slang (beyond your region as a millenial) and your dress code.
Who starts listening to rap at 12? Lol. I was listening to rap when I was 4. That's my first recollection of it. Y'all act like you have to be a preteen to get into music. I got my first rap album when I was 5-6.

What rap album did you get and understand at 5 years old my g? What influence did it have on you (& your peers)? I grew up with music all around my house but I wouldn't claim I was up on anything until 9/10 at the earliest and even then I didn't fully understand.

FOH - 5-6 year olds don't have the attention span to be listening to albums man. Like I say, no 6 year old I know wants to sit and listen to Somebody's Gotta Die.

I maintain cats aint really get up on game until 9-10. Anything before is whatever your parents/siblings played, radio and what was on The Box.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Those are singles my g. You listened to It's Dark & Hell is Hot those times? Even Grand Champ.

I'm born in '90 and I wouldn't say I grew up on DMX. Yeah I knew the singles, had a few albums but I was too young to understand properly. I remember my moms bought No Way Out, Life After Death & Pac Greatest Hits - I still didn't grow up off that. I just wanted to hear Hypnotize, Changes, Been Around the World. I remember BIG & Pac but that wasn't my generation.

I don't think you truly begin to understand music until 9-12 and with any credence to 12-13 at the earliest. What CD's did you personally get listen to? What albums did you get? We had hella singles in my house but the first albums I proper listened to was around 10. Then a bit later the music influences your slang (beyond your region as a millenial) and your dress code.

What rap album did you get and understand at 5 years old my g? What influence did it have on you (& your peers)? I grew up with music all around my house but I wouldn't claim I was up on anything until 9/10 at the earliest and even then I didn't fully understand.

FOH - 5-6 year olds don't have the attention span to be listening to albums man. Like I say, no 6 year old I know wants to sit and listen to Somebody's Gotta Die.

I maintain cats aint really get up on game until 9-10. Anything before is whatever your parents/siblings played, radio and what was on The Box.

This all started because homie said when he was growing up the rap stars were so and so, and he said DMX, and you said that's not true because he was 5 when DMX was at his height (He was really probably 6-7 because DMX's biggest years was 1999-2000, but whatever). Your argument made no sense, because I'm sure he was aware of who DMX was and was doing by age 5-6. He didn't say he was listening to MF Doom. He mentioned a rapper that was on TV and the radio constantly during an impressionable age. You went from DMX couldn't have been a star to him as a kid (which is illogical) to comprehending albums. That's another argument.

Maybe you're mentally challenged (all due respect), I don't know, but I was reading and comprehending a lot by 6. And I damn sure was listening to music and albums by then and could tell you what artists I liked. I wasn't gonna tell you who had the greatest lyrics or what was classic or no shyt like that, but I could tell you if I liked a song or not. Pretty simple. And most people develop their musically taste rather young. I don't know who waits that long to get into any genre of music (By 9 and 10 I was recording videos on my VHS). Kids was rapping by the second grade in my school. I was reciting the lyrics to OPP to my friends.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Man, I rode for this dude a little bit early on but now his troll antics are going overboard. He's either an attention whore or an idiot, because he's been saying a lot of goofy shyt recently where I wonder if he actually believes it or just wants to get a rise out of people.

Neither one is a good look.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

When did I say I "grew up on DMX"?

I grew up in a household that played nothing but Hip Hop, R&B and Gospel so I'm very familiar with what was poppin from the late 90s to mid 2000s. Living with 2 older brothers and 3 older cousins that bought music on the regular. I didn't need to buy albums back then, we still got all the CDs from Life After Death to It's Dark & Hell Is Hot, Mary J Blige, whoever... My oldest bother is a Jay Z stan and one of my cousins is a Nas stan, I remember my brother buying 2 copies of Blueprint and everybody looking at him like:dahell:.

When 50 and G-Unit came through in 03 that was when shyt changed though, that Banks verse on Stunt 101:wow:

Got my first MP3 player when I was 10/11, shyt was like 25mb memory but I had some GRODT tracks on there, Fabolous, Ja Rule, Scarface, Nas... If it wasn't lyrical I wasn't fukkin with it and that was when I was around 10:yeshrug:

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This all started because homie said when he was growing up the rap stars were so and so, and he said DMX, and you said that's not true because he was 5 when DMX was at his height (He was really probably 6-7 because DMX's biggest years was 1999-2000, but whatever). Your argument made no sense, because I'm sure he was aware of who DMX was and was doing by age 5-6. He didn't say he was listening to MF Doom. He mentioned a rapper that was on TV and the radio constantly during an impressionable age. You went from DMX couldn't have been a star to him as a kid (which is illogical) to comprehending albums. That's another argument.

Maybe you're mentally challenged (all due respect), I don't know, but I was reading and comprehending a lot by 6. And I damn sure was listening to music and albums by then and could tell you what artists I liked. I wasn't gonna tell you who had the greatest lyrics or what was classic or no shyt like that, but I could tell you if I liked a song or not. Pretty simple. And most people develop their musically taste rather young. I don't know who waits that long to get into any genre of music (By 9 and 10 I was recording videos on my VHS). Kids was rapping by the second grade in my school. I was reciting the lyrics to OPP to my friends.
I remember watching Belly when that shyt came on DVD lol DMX was always poppin when I was a kid. I was forced to listen to Hip Hop cause that's what the people I looked up to listened to

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Vince was in 3rd grade when Get Rich or Die Tryin' came out. You dumbasses really expect this dude to fake nostalgia over 90s era rappers?

I give it 3 years till yall are all the way :flabbynsick:
I see what you mean but at the same time you can't fake nostalgia over something you weren't there for. No one wants him to be Joey Badass and just dikkride 90's hip hop (sorry Joey fans).

But to go around saying a decade of music is overrated when he hasn't done shyt in his career yet is silly. I don't understand why young bucks seem to have the least respect for the older generations. The youth should do the music they wanna make and it's dumb to pretend a kid born in the mid 90's to walk around bumping Illmatic all day like it's his favorite album.

But at the same time it's dumb to call an entire decade of music that you didn't experience "overrated." Like I said earlier I championed for Vince Staples since 2011, so I want to see him do well and don't hate the guy. But he said Bow Wow is his favorite rapper. Just like he said Ray J is responsible for every great hip-hop moment. He's trolling.

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
This is an example of why hip hop is dead (I am a fan of vince staples work btw).... The time has passed, the spirit and individuality of what was hip hop is gone... Now all we have is dudes just making money/art and just choosing to utilize rap for their vocals. After almost 10 years of mainstream rap idolizing money and strippers and not expression of self and political awareness, you cant fault the youth for heavily channeling what they grew up on and having no connection to what made hip hop, hip hop originally.