“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Brunson is the tail that is wagging the dog. He's putting Randle, OG, iHart on notice. The timing of that announcement is Brunson saying take less money and let's ball. What a leader.
Does the NBAPA have a beef here? What’s the precedent for willingly leaving 120 million on the table?

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Does the NBAPA have a beef here? What’s the precedent for willingly leaving 120 million on the table?
No way. Players can do what they want. Union needs the teams to offer to give them the option to take the money. Brunson has other factors other than money; winning and being in a big market. Being a Knick will get him more money from endorsements. Combined with winning and his endorsements could be way more lucrative.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
No way. Players can do what they want. Union needs the teams to offer to give them the option to take the money. Brunson has other factors other than money; winning and being in a big market. Being a Knick will get him more money from endorsements. Combined with winning and his endorsements could be way more lucrative.
That's the argument the Knicks and Brunson will make. But I'm almost positive I've seen player's unions step in when players tried to take such huge pay cuts like this. They'll argue it puts pressure on other players and sets a bad precedent. Not just on the Knicks but when the next guard goes up for contract negotiations, it could be a bit more difficult if Brunson "resets the market" like this. I'm not sure I agree fully but this is what they could and should make sure doesn't happen.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Brunson is the tail that is wagging the dog. He's putting Randle, OG, iHart on notice. The timing of that announcement is Brunson saying take less money and let's ball. What a leader.
Julius did this already when he signed his 4/117 instead of waiting for his 5/207 deal (that money got us Brunson). I doubt Julius (and this is his last big contract) will do it again.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Should make it a Shohei Otani deal. $2M a year during his prime and then a balloon payment of like $600M on his last year.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
That's the argument the Knicks and Brunson will make. But I'm almost positive I've seen player's unions step in when players tried to take such huge pay cuts like this. They'll argue it puts pressure on other players and sets a bad precedent. Not just on the Knicks but when the next guard goes up for contract negotiations, it could be a bit more difficult if Brunson "resets the market" like this. I'm not sure I agree fully but this is what they could and should make sure doesn't happen.

I'm not sure if the union can step in, because he'd have a case for choosing security over waiting. Sign now and he doesn't have to worry about getting injured next season and entering free agency as damaged goods.

But I'm really not sure.

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
I remember Windhorst reporting the same thing about Brunson. He seems to value long term security over maximizing his value. He would've accepted the four year $56,000,000 contract extension that the Mavs declined to offer which was a considered a underpay even with his underwhelming playoffs against the Clippers.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Randle is the exact style of player you want playing with Brunson
He's erratic but he's a bully ball styled big, who is a great rebounder, can create his own shot and is a good playmaker in his own right
People keep talking about trading for wings and guards :childplease:
This is a really big and strong team when healthy
With IHart/Randle/OG/Mitch there are very few teams in the league that can match up to the Knicks physicality in the whole NBA. Maybe just the Wolves
He has been a massive playoff dropper and his tenure year has been that of highs and lows you can salute him for taking criticism on the chin but when things aren’t going his way he’s a huge bytch towards teammates, refs, coaches, opponents, etc.

He sucked for a good 20 games, started balling, then got hurt this year so I put this in the category of a bad year and we know his first year was trash.

I’m not opposed to moving the guy at all for Mikal, LeBron, KD but it’s unlikely.

Last edited:

Spidey Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh would be a fukking idiot to take that pay cut :mjlol:

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but 39 million a year is more money than most people can spend, and he's still young enough that he can sign the mega blockbuster contact next time around. Take a little less and the Front Office can spread it around and make the team better.

They also better give Rick head coach money if Jalen is giving you a discount

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but 39 million a year is more money than most people can spend, and he's still young enough that he can sign the mega blockbuster contact next time around. Take a little less and the Front Office can spread it around and make the team better.

They also better give Rick head coach money if Jalen is giving you a discount
Brunson is a small guard getting it on the back end is a gamble.

If he doesn’t care about money I guess man. I rather make sure my family is set for more generations that’s just me though.

shyt I gotta give up $ so OG can be overpaid :mjlol: fukk outta here

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
You don't have to necessarily think about who's the better player but think about the fit. And also, do you really think he wants to play in BK lol? Mikal can guard 1-3 very well, underrated passer, hit the 3, & can create for himself. In the long shot we get him, Divo & Hart go back to the bench & make it even stronger. So when JB goes to the bench, the offense could run through him & not skip a beat. His b'ball IQ is good as well. Randle is gonna have to make some big adjustments to his game when he's healthy & we'll see if he can because his usage is gonna drop. And I say we only move Randle if we get a like value back, otherwise I'm happy with keeping him & running it back
My God, imagine...Brunson, Mikal, OG, Randle, Mitch
McBride, Donte, Hart, IHart

Hmmm... Writing it out, unless it's a the team trade, the Knicks would have to give up Mitch and some other pieces with Picks