“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

Mantle Drunk

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I really do enjoy this team and I know I know injuries rocked them but you gotta get over the hump and get to the ECF. Melo got them this far. Winning one round is not impressive to me. With the injuries I didn’t expect them to get past Boston and honestly probably would’ve gotten swept but at least they would’ve gotten there.

Even without the injuries I don’t think this team is good enough to win a championship and that’s what I want. So I think this team does in fact have to make moves.

What those moves are I don’t know and we have to see how the offseason develops but to assume Randle back and two late draft picks is enough to win them a championship I’m just not seeing it.

Also with the way Thibs coaches in Donato ow if OG’s compatible with that. Obviously his play style fits like a gloves but I don’t think his body does.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
its wild how nikkas come in here telling knicks fans how they know more about the knicks than the knicks fans.
nikkas just uncalled for dikkeating from the top rope.
talking about minutes as if we arent starting multiple guys who were bench players to compensate for the fact we had several freak injuries lol
but yes we should open the rotation up from 7-8 man rotations (that every playoff team does outside of the pacers) to include 2 way g-leaguers and vet min guys. lol

Knicks fans don’t talk shyt more than any other fanbase but the amount of people who came out the woodworks to let us know how much we got lucky vs Philly, how much we’re a “fluke”, how unsustainable it is to play guys all those minutes like we’re fukking dumb, how Brunson isn’t a 1a guy, how a team with 5 key injuries needs to reconsider their roster next season, how Thibs has never changed etc, lets me know all I need to know. They’re scared to death of us for whatever reason.
People with a straight face were complaining that the media was in the tank for us. FOR THE NY KNICKS, the laughing stock of the NBA my entire adulthood. I’m thirty fukking six years old. We didn’t even OD on this team. Nobody’s talking about how we’re going to get all the stars like we used to. Nobody seriously thought this team is a finals team, just that we had a punchers chance if healthy. This has been many of our’s favorite Knicks team to root for ever yet everyone felt the need to come rain on our parade. fukk all of them. This NY vs Everybody now.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Knicks fans don’t talk shyt more than any other fanbase but the amount of people who came out the woodworks to let us know how much we got lucky vs Philly, how much we’re a “fluke”, how unsustainable it is to play guys all those minutes like we’re fukking dumb, how Brunson isn’t a 1a guy, how a team with 5 key injuries needs to reconsider their roster next season, how Thibs has never changed etc, lets me know all I need to know. They’re scared to death of us for whatever reason.
People with a straight face were complaining that the media was in the tank for us. FOR THE NY KNICKS, the laughing stock of the NBA my entire adulthood. I’m thirty fukking six years old. We didn’t even OD on this team. Nobody’s talking about how we’re going to get all the stars like we used to. Nobody seriously thought this team is a finals team, just that we had a punchers chance if healthy. This has been many of our’s favorite Knicks team to root for ever yet everyone felt the need to come rain on our parade. fukk all of them. This NY vs Everybody now.
I legit lost a friend over this shyt.

shyt wild.

Fck them all. And fukk Haliburton, especially.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Any way to keep Hartenstein?
I need to see:
Brunson, Donte, Hart, IHart, McBride and Randle on this team next year.
Yesterday was fukking heartbreaking. Just watching this nikka Hali stunt on them and talk shyt was disgusting.

We overachieved. I'm proud of them. I just hate that all of the doubters and analysts are going to talk like they were right about the Knicks flaws as if this roster wasn't completely decimated by injuries.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Bobby Marks State of the Roster for the summer Part 1

New York Knicks

i

2023-24 record: 50-32

Draft picks in June: No. 24 (via DAL), No. 25 (own) and No. 38 (via UTA)

Free agents: OG Anunoby (P), Isaiah Hartenstein, Alec Burks, Shake Milton, Precious Achiuwa (R), Jericho Sims (T), Charlie Brown Jr.(R), Jacob Toppin (R) and Duane Washington Jr. (R)

State of the roster: There is a sense of disappointment in how this season ended. Not only because New York lost a Game 7 at home, but also because of the unknown: whether a healthy roster could have reached the conference finals -- and perhaps the NBA Finals. New York had the fourth-best record at 33-17 since Jan. 1 despite losing Julius Randle, Anunoby, Bojan Bogdanovic, Mitchell Robinson and Anunoby again over a course of five months. The four players averaged a combined 54 points and 21 rebounds per game. To make matters worse, Brunson fractured his left hand in Game 7. If there is a silver lining to the Knicks' future, it is that New York found an identity with the addition of Anunoby. Since Jan. 1, New York ranked third in defensive efficiency, ninth in deflections per game and third in points per possession allowed in the half court, per Second Spectrum. The strong play since early January should also dispel the notion that New York ought to chase the next disgruntled All-Star if he were to become available this summer. The Knicks have a top-five player in Jalen Brunsonand a roster that can compete with any team -- when healthy.

This offseason, New York has 10 players under contract, including Brunson, Donte DiVincenzo, Josh Hart and Randle, and the goal is to retain its own free agents, starting with Anunoby and Hartenstein. Anunoby has a $19.9 million player option he will likely decline, while Hartenstein is an unrestricted free agent. Signing both players, however, could hurt the Knicks' depth. New York could be not only a luxury tax team for the first time since 2013-14, but also an apron team.

The Knicks join New Orleans as the only playoff teams to have multiple first-round picks in this year's draft. New York ranks behind only Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Utah in tradable firsts over the next seven years.

Offseason finances: Including the Anunoby $19.9 million player option and its first-round picks, New York has $154 million in salary. It is $17 million below the luxury tax and $23 million under the first apron. Anunoby has until June 24 to exercise his player option. New York could gain $17 million in financial flexibility, but that would require waiving Bogdanovic by June 28. Bogdanovic's $19 million salary is guaranteed for $2 million next season. The price tag of its own free agents will dictate whether New York has the $12.9 million non-tax midlevel, $5.1 million tax midlevel or veteran minimum exception. The Knicks have a second-round pick exception available to sign their own draft choice. They also have three trade exceptions: $6.8 million, $5.2 million and $3.8 million. The exceptions become frozen if the Knicks are in the apron.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Part 2

Top front office priority: There is no denying how valuable Anunoby and Hartenstein have been this season. In the 31 regular-season and postseason games Anunoby played, New York was 26-5. It was slightly below .500 in the 27 regular-season games he missed with an elbow injury. Since the trade in late December, Anunoby ranked first by holding opponents to 35.7% shooting as the closest defender, per Second Spectrum. The impact on the court, however, is watered down by Anunoby's lack of availability. He has played an average of 50 games in the past four seasons. Anunoby is an All-NBA defender and should see a significant pay increase from his $19.9 million player option. The question is how much. The Knicks have meticulously structured their finances, with no player earning more than $30 million next season. Could Anunoby be the first? And would New York risk drawing a line in the sand financially, with teams like Detroit, Orlando, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia and Utah all projected to have at least $30 million in room? New York does not have the ability to replace him if he leaves in free agency. One thing to consider on a new Anunoby deal is the growth in the salary cap over its life. Because of a new television contract that begins in 2025-26, teams expect to see the cap increase annually by 10%.

Hartenstein's two-year, $16 million contract signed in 2022 proved to be one of the better-value deals in the NBA. Playing a career high in minutes, Hartenstein joined Anthony Davis and Victor Wembanyama as the only players with 85 blocks and 85 steals in a season. He became the first player since Moses Malone in 1982 to record 12 offensive rebounds and five assists in a playoff game, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Hartenstein is a priority because of not only what he contributes on the court, but also the continual health concerns about Robinson, who tied a career low with 31 games played this season and underwent surgery twice on the same left ankle. Because Hartenstein has early Bird rights, the maximum New York can offer in a new contract is four years, $72.5 million. The other top free agent centers include Nic Claxton and Jonas Valanciunas.

Extension candidate to watch: Brunson has outplayed the four-year, $104 million contract he signed in 2022. Beginning July 12, he is eligible to sign a four-year, $156.5 million extension. The $34.9 million first year would replace the $24.9 million player option in 2025-26. Brunson averaged a career-high 28.6 points and had five games of 45 points or more. He had the best plus-minus of any player during the regular season since Jan. 1. From a financial sense, Brunson is better off to wait until the 2025 offseason and then sign a new contract. If he declines his option for 2025-26, he will become eligible to sign a five-year, $270 million contract. Randle is in a similar position, as the forward has two years but with a player option left on his contract. Starting Aug. 3, Randle is eligible to sign a four-year, $181.5 million extension if the option is declined, or a three-year $140.3 million extension if he opts in. Before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury, Randle averaged 23.9 points and 9.2 rebounds. He was named an All-Star for the third time in four years.

Other extension candidates: Anunoby (through June 30), Sims, Robinson (as of July 12), Burks (through June 30) and Bogdanovic (as of Oct. 30)

Team needs: Health and bench scoring if Bogdanovic and Burks are not brought back.

Future draft assets: Besides its own first, New York has firsts in 2025 from Detroit, Milwaukee and Washington. The Pistons' first is top-13 protected, top-11 protected in 2026 and top-9 protected in 2027. The Knicks will receive the Bucks' first if it falls outside of the top four. And finally, Washington will send its first top-10 protected and top-8 protected in 2026. New York has seven seconds available.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Objective hoops fan here

If I'm the Knicks, I trade Mitch, let Hartenstein walk and do everything in my power to upgrade the C position

Thibs has to develop the bench the same way Indy & Minny has...he needs at least 4 key bench contributors

Brunson
DDV
OG
Randle
C Upgrade

McLeod
3&D combo G
Hart
Combo F
Precious

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Go into the tax probably. I’m ok with it. As long as it’s a tradable contract if things don’t work out.

I need to see:
Brunson, Donte, Hart, IHart, McBride and Randle on this team next year.
Yesterday was fukking heartbreaking. Just watching this nikka Hali stunt on them and talk shyt was disgusting.

We overachieved. I'm proud of them. I just hate that all of the doubters and analysts are going to talk like they were right about the Knicks flaws as if this roster wasn't completely decimated by injuries.

He’s well worth it. Especially with Mitch’s ankle issues.

I honestly wouldn’t shake up the roster much. Bogie and Randle being health will make a big difference scoring wise next season. A healthy roster sweeps Indiana full stop. They don’t deserve to be in the ECF and it’ll show when they get swept.

If you can get another playmaker I’d look to trade the pick, other than that I’d look for an older rookie who can contribute right away

Daps
Reppin
NY
Any way to keep Hartenstein?

Declining Burks' current deal and bringing him back on a cheaper/vet min. after re-signing Hartenstein probably works if you want to retain both. Declining Precious/not retaining him via RFA probably plays in too. Could move Bogi who's about to become an expiring as well. Lots of easy ways to free up the money IMO