“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Watched a replay of the game earlier

Randle :wow: he was really clutch. All star shyt right there

The ball movement and cutting with Donte and OG was great. I see the vision

Wouldn’t mind Tyus Jones off the bench if it didn’t cost much
Just putting it out there we can get Tyus and Deni for Fournier’s salary. Might cost 2 wack firsts.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

I've talked about this before with regards to the protected Wizards pick. Bad teams don't typically stay bad for half a decade. Their GM's have to make moves to win or wind up fired. Both squads are bottoming out and we've got swap options on the Wizards pick until 2026 (top-8 protection in the final year) and the Pistons pick until 2027 (top-9 protection).

Counter: there's no needle mover in this draft that's gonna accelerate the process for them, so how do they become a play-in level team in that time without that guy?

Also: Troy Weaver might not survive this season in Detroit and Winger just got hired in Washington so he'll have some time. I'm struggling to see who on those teams will make them eventually mid.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Counter: there's no needle mover in this draft that's gonna accelerate the process for them, so how do they become a play-in level team in that time without that guy?

Also: Troy Weaver might not survive this season in Detroit and Winger just got hired in Washington so he'll have some time. I'm struggling to see who on those teams will make them eventually mid.
We’re not talking about a bad team becoming in 2024 accelerating their process to be a playoff team in a year. They only have to become better than the bottom 8 teams and have three more seasons or so to get there.

The fact that Weaver might be on the chopping block without fast success is the whole point. He can’t just tank, which is why Detroit’s rumors aren’t about selling off pieces right now. They had rumored interest in OG and apparently want to keep Bojan.

So does Cade, Bojan, a top-4 pick, and a couple of overpaid vets they bring in make the pistons a great team? No shot. But it could be enough to get them out of the dungeon which is all we need one time in the next three seasons.

The wizards is less likely but a new gm this year can’t afford to field a team this bad for three consecutive seasons. They’ll need to start progressing at some point.

One last note: I disagree about the lack of game changers in this class. There are two guys I think have pretty high ceilings in alexandre sarr and Ron holland. Those two

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
We’re not talking about a bad team becoming in 2024 accelerating their process to be a playoff team in a year. They only have to become better than the bottom 8 teams and have three more seasons or so to get there.

The fact that Weaver might be on the chopping block without fast success is the whole point. He can’t just tank, which is why Detroit’s rumors aren’t about selling off pieces right now. They had rumored interest in OG and apparently want to keep Bojan.

So does Cade, Bojan, a top-4 pick, and a couple of overpaid vets they bring in make the pistons a great team? No shot. But it could be enough to get them out of the dungeon which is all we need one time in the next three seasons.

The wizards is less likely but a new gm this year can’t afford to field a team this bad for three consecutive seasons. They’ll need to start progressing at some point.

One last note: I disagree about the lack of game changers in this class. There are two guys I think have pretty high ceilings in alexandre sarr and Ron holland. Those two
They're 3-30 and not tanking. What they lack is that guy whose talent vaults them up towards mid-tier to go with Cade the way Banchero was able to join with Wagner and have Orlando look solid in a year. That guy isn't in next year's draft.

Ron Holland sucks. You want a guy who is shooting 13% from 3 currently to join the Pistons? He's Ausar if Ausar was only marginally better than what he is now.

Topic and Bradshaw might be Detroit's best bets and they're raw (Topic a little less raw)

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Not even clicking that. Gil shows over and over he doesn't know how to talk hoops
Gil knows the game. When it comes to breaking it down from his perspective, it’s actually really insightful. But he knows shyt about the current league. Like not a single fukking thing. As though he barely watches games.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
They're 3-30 and not tanking. What they lack is that guy whose talent vaults them up towards mid-tier to go with Cade the way Banchero was able to join with Wagner and have Orlando look solid in a year. That guy isn't in next year's draft.

Ron Holland sucks. You want a guy who is shooting 13% from 3 currently to join the Pistons? He's Ausar if Ausar was only marginally better than what he is now.

Topic and Bradshaw might be Detroit's best bets and they're raw (Topic a little less raw)
You're too focused on this one draft. The pick is top-18 protected this year, top-13 protected next year, top-11 protected 2026, and top-9 protected in 2027. The Pistons have to suck for another half a decade in order to keep every pick.

Don't lose sight of the initial comparison: The Houston Rockets, whose top pick has played 12 games at 15 mpg. They overpaid FVV and Dillon Brooks, which was enough to push them out of the bottom 10 anyway. Teams don't go from bottom to mid in a flash, but they can go from bottom-5 picks to 10-14 range pretty quickly...and Detroit's got 4 years before the pick swap dissolves.

The Pistons will have a bunch of cap space and a desperate GM this offseason. That's not a recipe to get good in a single offseason, but can move them from worst to 9th worst by 2027? Yeah...I could picture that.

So you're at Cade/Ausar/Bojan/Ivey/Duren/Top-5 pick in 2024/Top-12 pick in 2025/Top-10 pick in 2026 before they STILL have to be a bottom-9 team to keep their first. Plus, they'd have to whiff on every free agent and turn no impact trades in that span of time.

On the Ron Holland tip, no, he doesn't suck. He's not a good fit for Detroit, but I didn't say he was. I just said he's got a high ceiling. Consider that he's 18 and already marginally better than a 20-year-old top-10 rookie in Ausar Thompson. Holland's upside is nice, but he's a lot better for Washington, who should be eventually dumping Kuz/Poole/Jones, eventually.

I haven't watched Topic at all to judge. Bradshaw is good and would allow them to move Duren for a talented vet. Though, I think Sarr is the pick if they go big. Sarr is my favorite draft prospect by a wide margin (though I don't start doing draft class deep dives until closer to March).

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY

Gil usually has some good takes, but this is one of the most uninformed basketball takes I've seen from former pros in a long ass time.

Damn clickbait. Gil didn't rip into the Knicks at all. Just said some generic shyt about we need a superstar to build around.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Damn clickbait. Gil didn't rip into the Knicks at all. Just said some generic shyt about we need a superstar to build around.
It is clickbait but the end of the video was pretty terrible. All Gil’s personnel analysis is from 2014 and back. “Knicks have the highest payroll.” “Knicks don’t know how to draft.” “Need a star they can put on billboards.” “Get the star first than figure the rest out later.”

He literally wants us to trade for Jalen Green cause he’s handsome. That’s not an exaggeration.