Victor Oladipo the NBA's #1 pick

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Dwight was 240lbs @ the combine, and then added additional weight before the start of the season. The odds of Noel going into the NBA combine at 240lbs are low, and keep in mind Dwight was younger than him.

Keyword, at the combine. When I played v. him in AAU the summer before, he was 225 and he was 17 years old. He was 18 y.o. at the combine. He gained that weight working with personally trainers plus his frame is much bigger than Noel but Noel has a big enough frame and his weight distribution is good.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Ben McLemore at KU = Ray Allen at UConn?:manny:

I don't see it. That's what these bloggers and a couple scouts are trying to say. I don't see it. I do not think he will ever be the shooter Ray is but he's a great athlete. His style is different as well. I think I got it. He's a taller less dynamic Eric Gordon from IU.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I don't see it. That's what these bloggers and a couple scouts are trying to say. I don't see it. I do not think he will ever be the shooter Ray is but he's a great athlete. His style is different as well. I think I got it. He's a taller less dynamic Eric Gordon from IU.

This reminds me of Ray Allen at UConn though. This scouting report is true as well:

An outstanding weapon in the open court due to his speed and explosiveness, McLemore gets out in transition regularly, although he struggles at times when forced to lead the break himself.

He sports excellent shooting mechanics, being very reliable with his feet set, and showing solid range. Blessed with the athleticism to elevate and create separation from defenders, he's capable of coming off curls and getting a clean look off, even if he's still working on the consistency of his release point. This shows up primarily in his struggles shooting the ball off the dribble this year, where he's been far less effective than he has with his feet set. All in all, McLemore is not yet a knockdown shooter at this stage of his career, but he shows all the potential to get there down the road if he continues to put the work in.

Defensively, McLemore similarly shows excellent potential, with his quick feet, decent length, solid frame and ability to cover ground quickly. He is very elusive getting over the top of screens, and can stay in front of even the most athletic shooting guards he matches up with his strong lateral quickness. At the same time, McLemore is still figuring out how to maximize himself on this end of the floor consistently, which is a common problem with young players making the transition from high school to college basketball, especially those not known as fiery competitors. His positioning, awareness and focus leaves a bit to be desired at times, as it occasionally looks like he's only going at half speed and will get lost off the ball. With the tools he shows, though, there's little doubt that he has the ability to be a terrific option here, as long as he puts his mind to it.

As a ball-handler, McLemore is still very much a work in progress, as he struggles to create high percentage shots for himself in one on one situations in the half-court, especially when forced to dribble or finish with his off (left) hand. McLemore has an outstanding first step, but is not very fluid with the ball in his hands, struggling to change speeds and directions, and rarely getting all the way to the rim in the half-court, instead being forced to settle for floaters from 5-8 feet out, which are much lower percentage shots. He doesn't deal very well with contact around the rim, and doesn't do a great job drawing fouls inside the paint, not always getting to the free throw line as often as you might hope.

113836165_display_image.jpg

1356362843.jpg

He does look like Baby Jesus with that form too:yeshrug:

I'm just saying though. He's closer to a "Ray Allen" than an "Elgin Baylor" to me.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I like this draft more than some...but I think he's only got pieces of Wade's game not nearly as directly related

I understand the explosion aspect...but Oladipo I believe is a better defender...he's able to stay in front of his man easier than Wade...but Wade was really great at knowing when to gamble and how to play the passing lanes

and Wade is a superior playmaker...and a much better scorer...this is Oladipo's third year and he's at 14 ppg...Wade was at 18 and 21 ppg in his two years at Marquette

Wade also averaged four and a half assists a game...Oladipo I believe is around 2

With Wade we're talking about a player at his peak that was dropping triple doubles in the NCAA tournament...Oladipo doesn't have that kind of court vision...I couldn't imagine him getting that kind of assist total

now...I dont have a better comparison because I don't follow the NBA nearly as closely as I follow college...so maybe Wade's the closest...but I see more differences than similarities in their games.

Wade played on a different team than Indiana. Indiana is about ball movement and their #1 option is Zeller. Victor's PPP is 1.27 to Wade's 1.16. Victor is in Michael Jordan Jr. year UNC territory. Wade offense was based around getting the best shot, Wade Iso and Jackson post up. In all statistical basis Victor is a better scorer than Wade. Most efficient, better shooter, better at the basket as well. Wade has the advantage in FGA and FTA.

It's hard to say Wade is a superior playmaker considering the system Oladipo plays isn't adjacent to SG's or SF's getting high assist totals. Even Michael Jordan in his best year only had 2.1 which is still solid for a SG in the NCAA.

We already went through the stats, 2.3 assists per game.

He dropped one triple double that season and that was beautiful. Complete domination from D. Wade. Got his name on the map. Dudes were talking like Hinrich was a superior player to Wade because Marquette weak conference at the time. :to: Once again, Oladipo offense isn't structure for him to get those assists numbers. His usage rate is quite low as well compared to Wade. To average 2.3 assists with his usage is pretty damn good.

I am extremely confident in saying Oladipo is similar to Wade. This isn't McLemore. I really believe Oladipo is a better prospect than Wade. I really think he's closer to a prospect from the 80's who Wade's game is similar too but I am not trying to get flamed right now. I want to wait till March Madness before I go any further.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
This reminds me of Ray Allen at UConn though. This scouting report is true as well:

113836165_display_image.jpg

1356362843.jpg

He does look like Baby Jesus with that form too:yeshrug:

I'm just saying though. He's closer to a "Ray Allen" than an "Elgin Baylor" to me.

Anyone can see the obvious Jay-Z-Biggie biting but they score a differently. I remember Ray at UConn, it was just different. Ray Allen spot ups were murderous. Ben's attacking the paint off a screen is something I didn't see from Ray till he got to Milwaukee. Elgin was a great shooter as well. Like Ben, academically struggled.

Skilltastrophy

Mizzou Mafia
Daps
Wade played on a different team than Indiana. Indiana is about ball movement and their #1 option is Zeller. Victor's PPP is 1.27 to Wade's 1.16. Victor is in Michael Jordan Jr. year UNC territory. Wade offense was based around getting the best shot, Wade Iso and Jackson post up. In all statistical basis Victor is a better scorer than Wade. Most efficient, better shooter, better at the basket as well. Wade has the advantage in FGA and FTA.

It's hard to say Wade is a superior playmaker considering the system Oladipo plays isn't adjacent to SG's or SF's getting high assist totals. Even Michael Jordan in his best year only had 2.1 which is still solid for a SG in the NCAA.

We already went through the stats, 2.3 assists per game.

He dropped one triple double that season and that was beautiful. Complete domination from D. Wade. Got his name on the map. Dudes were talking like Hinrich was a superior player to Wade because Marquette weak conference at the time. :to: Once again, Oladipo offense isn't structure for him to get those assists numbers. His usage rate is quite low as well compared to Wade. To average 2.3 assists with his usage is pretty damn good.

I am extremely confident in saying Oladipo is similar to Wade. This isn't McLemore. I really believe Oladipo is a better prospect than Wade. I really think he's closer to a prospect from the 80's who Wade's game is similar too but I am not trying to get flamed right now. I want to wait till March Madness before I go any further.

alot of those offensive numbers assume Oladipo's not simply going to regress back to his shooting norms right?...he's shooting 52 percent on his threes...that seems like a ridiculous leap considering he shot 20 and 30 percent in the years previous...if he keeps it up then sure...but it seems much more likely he's going to regress back to the mean as a shooter

and is he really going to shoot 65% from the field all season long?...that seems like a stretch...he's shot 54 and 47 percent in the past two seasons...that's another massive leap

now...maybe he's made a huge development as a shooter and this is here to stay...but I'd like to see these numbers play out for the whole year before I put him on Wade's level offensively...and while system plays a role in raw stats for sure...Oladipo's never shown the court awareness to be a guy to rack up many assists...at least not in the games I've watched.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
alot of those offensive numbers assume Oladipo's not simply going to regress back to his shooting norms right?...he's shooting 52 percent on his threes...that seems like a ridiculous leap considering he shot 20 and 30 percent in the years previous...if he keeps it up then sure...but it seems much more likely he's going to regress back to the mean as a shooter

and is he really going to shoot 65% from the field all season long?...that seems like a stretch...he's shot 54 and 47 percent in the past two seasons...that's another massive leap

now...maybe he's made a huge development as a shooter and this is here to stay...but I'd like to see these numbers play out for the whole year before I put him on Wade's level offensively...and while system plays a role in raw stats for sure...Oladipo's never shown the court awareness to be a guy to rack up many assists...at least not in the games I've watched.

It can happen. I am a prime example of working extremely hard in high school and college. I came in with no range outside of the paint to hit 100 shots in a row around the perimeter and being able to shoot threes decently. Victor has elite tools though. Elite first step, freakish athleticism, Big hands, extremely smart player. He has everything you want in an elite SG. On top of that, he plays the game harder than everyone else on the floor. He's like a smaller Michael Kidd-Gilchrist but much better offensively. If I am MJ, I am drafting Oladipo and dominating for the next 10 years. I really believe you can give this man 14 FGA a game and get 18 PPG as a rookie. He can give you more than Dame Lillard. I will put it on the line. This kid will make a GM look like a genius.

Daps
A rich man's Gerald Green.

Gerald Green =

Gerald's biggest strength is his athleticism--primarily his leaping ability.

Not just a one trick pony, Gerald has other strengths aside from his dunking prowess. Green has a terrific shooting stroke from anywhere on the court. He's already shown, as young and undeveloped as he is, the knack of knocking down pull up midrange jumpers and spot up three point jumpers, and even coming off of picks and executing catch and shoots were a part of his repertoire this season. A few years ago, Chris Wallace drafted Kedrick Brown, a player with similar potential to Gerald Green. Like Gerald, Kedrick had nasty hops that allowed him to sky up high in the air and throw down monstrous dunks. And like Gerald, he had the smooth shooting stroke to be a threat on the perimeter.

He's got a great stroke and can knock down jumpers off of curls, in spot up situations, and open 3s.

His shot is just as good as his athleticism.

His primary weakness at this time is his ball handling. For any wing player, ball handling is paramount to their ability to have success in the NBA. As often as Gerald will have the ball in his hands, its vital for him to be able to use his dribbling to get to any spot on the court to execute his game plan.

Lastly, Gerald needs to focus on defense this offseason. He does have the ability to be a solid defender cause he does have the athleticism, the quickness, and the long arms to disrupt his man. To be a shut down defender, a player needs to shadow his man well, and that comes from shuffling and moving the feet well. Just like how Green needs to work on his footwork on offense, the same applies for his defensive game as well. Balance and footwork are important to be able to stay with his man, as well as staying low and making himself wide.

And that doesn't sound similar to McLemore?

He's a "rich man's Gerald Green" in that, he has higher chance of fulfilling that kind of 'super athletic wing/elite perimeter threat' type potential. Only differences are: Green is more capable of creating his own offense and is better at finishing (and Ben thrives more in catch and shoot/spot up situations), other than that, their player make-ups are basically the same.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Oladipo will probably go in the top ten but i don't think he'll be the number one pick. And the comparison to Wade is fair in my opinion. No one knew Wade was gonna be as good as he was. They figured he's be a 20 point a game scorer but not become the superstar that he has become. If Victor works on his ballhandling (cats acting like he can't improve that) then the sky is the limit for him. Because his athleticism is elite and he is an excellent defender. And he will probably mearsure out just as big as D-Wade if not better. But i still think Nerlens or Shabazz will be the number one pick when it's all said and done. Or maybe even McLemore. I think Nerlens offense will improve and he's made a couple of moves on that end that makes me thinks he'll be a consistent double figure scorer on that end eventually. And an elite center usually wins out over an elite guard come draft time. I think Zeller will be a top 10 pick but while he'll be a good player i don't see stardom in his future.