Vice ETHERED Troy Ave UPDATE: (Troy Responds In Angie Martinez Interview)

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
As soon as I started reading I figured he was some fakkit who didn't even come up listening to hip hop during the rocafella era so he wouldn't even understand. People who genuinely have respect wouldn't try to take a shot at Bleek because even though his success wasn't as good as it should've been, he stood on his own 2 in the shadow of Hov at Hov's lyrical peak which is a feat in itself. The fact that the writer had valid points was overshadowed by his obvious desperation for approval. I can't stand Troy Ave but I'd rather support Troy on this then co-sign this culture vulture's supposed ether to take an opportunity to get cred he doesn't deserve.

I always say Bleek shoulda been a legend,if he could've just rejected the idea of having a New York sound he coulda been way bigger imo...His voice and delivery is perfect for west coast beats:banderas:...had he been able to watch 50 work I think a lightbulb mighta went off for em:ohhh:

sun raw

All Star
Daps
it has it's positives and it's negatives, stopped alot of people from faking the extra'd out thug persona, but at the same time the feminine shyt that was created from that movement aint helpin NOBODY either. nikkas went from extra'd out thugs to extra'd out fashion models drug addicts (who at the same time still try to act tough :mindblown:)

shyt slowly moved from one extreme to the next imo :manny:

Yeah before Kanye, rappers never cared about clothing or drugs.

2manyFCKNrappers

mentally i measure kilos
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I always say Bleek shoulda been a legend,if he could've just rejected the idea of having a New York sound he coulda been way bigger imo...His voice and delivery is perfect for west coast beats:banderas:...had he been able to watch 50 work I think a lightbulb mighta went off for em:ohhh:

:wow:

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't want to limit the options people have available for purchase, or what they can listen to. I don't wan't to stop them from having an opinion, nor do I want to prevent them from expressing their opinions. However, I don't want them expressing their opinions through formats that potentially drives which direction the music and culture will take. Regardless of what specifics in the article that I might agree with, the tone of it, and the background of the writer are indicative of an outsider who has gotten entirely too comfortable within a culture that he's a guest within. I can't believe I just typed that by the way, like damn I'm on the same page with Lord Jamar. This writer, and far too many other hipsters are way too comfortable critiquing and speaking on this art and culture as if they're entitled to it. They're not showing a proper respect for it. Let the market decide whether or not Troy Ave isn't worthy, and when I say the market, that includes hipsters as well.

What hipsters should not be given is a free pass in positions where they can make or break an artist through the pen, or other media. In other words, they can feel free to express themselves privately, or a message board, even a sh!tty little blog, but they need to earn their stripes before they can critique artists like Troy Ave flagrantly, much in the same way white rappers had to earn the respect of the Hip Hop community before acceptance. This writer is a hipster fukk, and you know I've never used cac before on here, but in this case, it's appropriate because it's a symptom of the larger problem. This hipster cac should not be given a pass to sh!t on any legitimate rapper on the come up. Let the market decide Troy Ave's fate. Let NYC decide if he's worthy to hold the crown. But under no circumstances should a Drew Millard play a major role in deading an artist's grind.

As much as I agree with the author's critique of Troy Ave, I think your spot on in this post.

BOLO

disobayish
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
racism will never die because different color humans can never get past the colors and realize we and the world are all grey. that's what i got from this thread.

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
If sway grew up on those artist, but he lived in the queens projects his whole life. But never rode a horse, didn't grow up on a farm, a ranch, never been to a rodeo, never rode in a pick up truck, was never socially or culturally attached to country music lifestyle, he would be disqualified and disconnected from that culture
Let me cut through the politically correct responses and red tape and get to the heart

If you're a CAC and grew up outside of urban areas and never been entrenched in the rap culture, your opinion means NOTHING. At all. You're allowed to voice it but nobody gives a fukk. You're not apart of rap culture. Facts of life. Deal with or don't, won't change these facts.

repped :wow:

thats why its always fukk complex, fader, vice, and every hipster mag in terms of hip hop reviews