Vice ETHERED Troy Ave UPDATE: (Troy Responds In Angie Martinez Interview)

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Let me cut through the politically correct responses and red tape and get to the heart

If you're a CAC and grew up outside of urban areas and never been entrenched in the rap culture, your opinion means NOTHING. At all. You're allowed to voice it but nobody gives a fukk. You're not apart of rap culture. Facts of life. Deal with or don't, won't change these facts.

sun raw

All Star
Daps
Have a lack of understanding of context brehs :comeon:

Nah, question all supposed markers of authenticity, accept that not all experiences are shared. I don't know if Roland Barthes ever wrestled a day in his life, didn't stop him from writing about wrestling.

Look, it's easy to tell when you have an outsider coming in and spewing opinions all over the place. There's going to be a very obvious lack of knowledge of shyt. The worst example I can think of in recent memory is Richard Roeper reviewing New Slaves back when Kanye dropped it. Who the fukk cares what Richard Roeper has to say about rap music, he reviews movies. In your hypothetical example, if Sway, Charlamagne, whoever, grew up listening to country and has an understanding of country music and its history, that should be enough regardless of whether or not they can check off these boxes that make them authentically about that life. Would country fans take them seriously? fukk if I know. What does seem evident is that rap fans are probably the most insular of music fans. Fickle, too.

Last edited:

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love

troy-ave.jpg

Troy Ave takes a selfie while wearing a hat while bringing New York back.

Who this nikka think he is? Me? :heh:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Unless the opinion on rap is laced with racism or elitism I guess I just don't give a fukk and this article had neither of those things:manny: this was just a guy giving his opinion on an artist and it was justifiable in every single way.
As a consumer and lover or music his opinion is completely valid in my opinion, that's only strengthened by all the people on here hating on it just because he's white even when this post contains no hipsterism especially if you consider that in this article he pushed incredibly mainstream artists.
Rap will always be a predominately black genre and if it isn't I don't care because anyone should be able express themselves through the spoken word.
You all are making something out of nothing.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Let me cut through the politically correct responses and red tape and get to the heart

If you're a CAC and grew up outside of urban areas and never been entrenched in the rap culture, your opinion means NOTHING. At all. You're allowed to voice it but nobody gives a fukk. You're not apart of rap culture. Facts of life. Deal with or don't, won't change these facts.
Lets just drop this shyt.

I'm GLAD I didn't grow up "in the hood"...GLAD.

I'm not white, but you gotta drop this "urban" glorification as if that means something.

The Kanye movement is the best thing to happen to black rap music probably since its inception.

sun raw

All Star
Daps
As for Troy himself, dude is mediocrity personified. Weirdo shyt could be good for New York, weirdo shyt is interesting even when it's terrible. At the very least, a terrible rapper gets some response out of me. A mediocre one just exists.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

I'm not white, but you gotta drop this "urban" glorification as if that means something.

The Kanye movement is the best thing to happen to black rap music probably since its inception.
it has it's positives and it's negatives, stopped alot of people from faking the extra'd out thug persona, but at the same time the feminine shyt that was created from that movement aint helpin NOBODY either. nikkas went from extra'd out thugs to extra'd out fashion models drug addicts (who at the same time still try to act tough :mindblown:)

shyt slowly moved from one extreme to the next imo :manny:

Last edited:

W.I.Z.E.

Wise poster
Daps
Reppin
Bronx

How can you go and neglect rap history? How can you say Kanye has more impact than Rakim did? Than public enemy?! Than ice T and then NWA? Your statement lack knowledge of the very avatar u claim to represent.

Kanye hasn't even had a bigger impact than Pac, Big..hell he isn't even as impactful as Puff or Jay. And before you hide behind the word "movement", all the aforementioned created their own movement I can school u on if u still lacking the knowledge.

Disgust at this fool b*stardizing my culture with some Kanye shyt.