Very Very Very Important Question For Those Of You Who Considers Yourself "Pro-Black/Conscious"

Sithlord Piff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
C08YQ6-VEAArssS.jpg:small

C08YhKvUAAAwlEC.jpg:small

C08YXIJUAAA7qQn.jpg:small

C08YVHeVQAAbTEI.jpg:small

That word was inherited to us by the OG's that came before us. People act like the hiphop generation are the sole creators of it. I say it cause Pops said it, not just my homies..knowing your true black history, practicing black economics, building with the black woman, these are the things that will impact our future..more than any slang word.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Back in the day the entire Continent of Africa was called Ethiopia, thats where the Moors got it from

I know it was called that way by Euros, doesn't explain why the Moors would use that word. Moors mostly came from Northern Africa, that already spoke Arabic, or local languages like Berber, Tamashek, etc.

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I know it was called that way by Euros, doesn't explain why the Moors would use that word. Moors mostly came from Northern Africa, that already spoke Arabic, or local languages like Berber, Tamashek, etc.
There is many versions of nikka that may pronounce a lil difrent but means the same thing

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
****** comes from Latin .

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
****** comes from Latin .

That's what I'm saying (see previous post quoted below) but @SmokyQuartz says it's the Moors that introduced the term to Spain, but I'm thinking it came from Latin (as for other romance languages). Could be that Ancient Romans got it from Ethiopians though.

So you're saying that the spanish word "negro" comes from Negus? First time reading this. Everywhere else I've read that it comes from the latin niger that also gave "noir" in french, "nero" in italian.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

Ninjaz In Paris

ehyeh ašer ehyeh
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Arcturus
I agree...and I'm working on that myself. Actually trying to rid ALL vulgar language. But we gotta be realistic. 400+ years of branding that word into our psyches...EVERYDAY its circulated through the airways via music/television/the internet. This is an uphill battle that will take decades if not centuries to get rid of.

We start by eliminating it from our personal vocabulary. Leading by example in our language/posts etc. That's how I personally started to understand I shouldn't use it by seeing other brothers consciously not using it.
:salute:

I decided to do some internal changes myself a few years back & I can honestly say it's been extremely benifical especially from a respect level...

It's one of those things that's only understood once you experience it... internal changes bring about external changes...

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
That's what I'm saying (see previous post quoted below) but @SmokyQuartz says it's the Moors that introduced the term to Spain, but I'm thinking it came from Latin (as for other romance languages). Could be that Ancient Romans got it from Ethiopians though.
Unlikely, it comes from Latin and that Latin word comes from an earlier info-European language

Hoteps like negus because it feeds into the wevwere kings and queens sentiment which is nice but false

Also negus was and is strictly a royal title and never used to describe color

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
I use the word for what its designed for..when Im talking about black men I will refer to them as such...just like the term bytch describing a woman.

When im talking about niccas...well...you know who Im referring about..and its not black men.

YaBoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nikka & ****** are two different words. I hear "nikka" all the time & it doesn't even phase me, but "******" is like nails on chalkboard. They have different meanings in different contexts. ****** is pretty much always bad. nikka can be good, bad, or neutral depending on the context.

People acting like words & language aren't constantly evolving. Like the word "dikk" used to just be a name, but now it has a whole new meaning depending on the context.

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Unlikely, it comes from Latin and that Latin word comes from an earlier info-European language

Hoteps like negus because it feeds into the wevwere kings and queens sentiment which is nice but false

Also negus was and is strictly a royal title and never used to describe color

That's what I'm thinking too, even more so that I've never heard any African use a similar word in local language. If it had transitionned to Spain by the Moors it would mean that that word was used in Africa first, and my guess is it would've remained in african languages. Only resembling word is "negres" used by some francophone African intellectuals (as in "La négriude" movement of Senghor and them), coming from french.

FeloniousMonk

Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
Has nothing to do with white people breh. I don't understand how you can gain a sense of pride and still want to call yourself that. I mean if we DID truly flip it as a term of endearment than maybe I could understand but I rarely see or hear it used like that. B1tch n1kka, pu55y n1kka, etc. Its still degrading each other.

And when did white people declare it bad? I'm confused
Whats so fukked is, you dont hear other races calling themselves derogatory names as terms of endearment, so the word solely loans itself out of urban identity.

AintNoCrampInYaMouthTho

Her: I'm On My Monthly :Wakaokay: Your Mouth Not
Daps
Keep thinking the white man created the word nikka brehs :francis:.

If you were self conscious you would know that the word nikka comes from Ethiopia (Africa) and it means black God/king. Know thy self Black Man
giphy.gif
:skip:The actual term is Negus, and most folks aint even know that when saying it.

FeloniousMonk

Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
Keep thinking the white man created the word nikka brehs :francis:.

If you were self conscious you would know that the word nikka comes from Ethiopia (Africa) and it means black God/king. Know thy self Black Man
giphy.gif
I was under the impression nikka is derived from the Spaniards/Portuguese term negro which is used to describe color.

Can you break down/post info were negus was appropriated to describe skin tone and not hierarchical Ethiopian lineage.

Thank you in advance.