Variety Estimating Fate Of The Furious to break Star Wars BO Record With $534 Million

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
What does this have to do with Disney :dead:
Because people are constantly bytching about this franchise on this board,bytching about no diversity in films,while at the same time worshipping every white male Disney puts a cape on :hhh:

You never hear why are they making these films,stop making these,about that company :mjpls:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $100,181,640 18.8%
+ Foreign: $432,300,000 81.2%
= Worldwide: $532,481,640

First Estimates, amazing opening. But I'm a numbers guy, can't help to look at that domestic drop. Overseas will save this movie. As I was staying, look at Domestically. That's a 50 Million drop from "Furious 7" here in the states. You can't tell me Paul had nothing to do with that. "Furious 7" made 392 Million OW worldwide but it opened in less markets as "Fast 8". So to offset the loss of Paul, they opened in more international markets. Again smart stradegy but domestically or internationally it's not going to outgross "Furious 7" so this will be the first "Fast" film to drop in box office after 4 straight movies. Basically "Furious 7" is the pinnacle of the franchise at the box office. Yes it's downhill at this point. My final takes will be 1.1-1.2 Billion. 300-400 Million decrease from "Furious 7". Again icing on the cake at this point.

Bruh.. I think Furious 7 was just the peak of the series. It had other shyt going for it like Paul Walker's death which I find funny on here because some people say Paul Walker don't mean shyt but then you look at the numbers and obviously he was a big deal to this franchise.

You look at any series... even Marvel where Avengers made as much as it did. Now Age of Ultron was in more theaters and more expensive seating, more IMAX showings and it still did less. Then Civil War did less than that one.

$1.5 billion was the peak of the Fast franchise which makes it a top 5 or 6 movie all-time. This will easily clear a billion. They will be in great shape for part 9.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Bruh.. I think Furious 7 was just the peak of the series. It had other shyt going for it like Paul Walker's death which I find funny on here because some people say Paul Walker don't mean shyt but then you look at the numbers and obviously he was a big deal to this franchise.

You look at any series... even Marvel where Avengers made as much as it did. Now Age of Ultron was in more theaters and more expensive seating, more IMAX showings and it still did less. Then Civil War did less than that one.

$1.5 billion was the peak of the Fast franchise which makes it a top 5 or 6 movie all-time. This will easily clear a billion. They will be in great shape for part 9.

Not one lie

Hejdå

Inactive
Daps
It's crazy how this franchise keeps making money

I mean superheroes moviee at least have history, this franchise doesn't have any history :wow:

I was watching double toasted review and one of the dudes commented on that fact and thought that was one of the many reasons why it's so successful. Superheroes have references on what they can and can't do but with this series the sky is the limit lol add in multicultural characters with a variation of relatable personalities, throw in the word family so you can feel even more connected to them and you have a successful franchise.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This series doesn't even need domestic anymore you realize that?

The last film grossed over a billion without counting domestic.

The film already set records in a bunch of territories this weekend. It's going to make another billion overseas.

Every year that goes by domestic means less and less. Less people are going to films here while other countries keep expanding.

And 100 million stands as the 2nd highest debut for a fast film.

Nobody expected this to match fast 7.

A lot of people said Paul walker was the star and the franchise wold flop without him.

I'm not sure what you are debating as I never said the box office was bad or this wasn't a success. The film dropping domestically OW is what happen. Right now they are saying 48 Million less than "Furious 7" Opening weekend in the US. Estimates could increase or drop we will see on Monday. It increased domestically the last 4 films after Tokyo Drift to "Furious 7" and yes all those films did feature Paul. Also Paul did headline "2 fast" which outgrossed the original globally. That's a significant thing to report as it would be the first drop domestically in 11 years. Even the Hollywood sites are reporting the drop domestically. Also if the US market didn't matter as you implied then the film would not have been released in the US,

The US Market is the #1 movie market in the world. Studios don't get large profits shares from overseas dollars because each country has their own currency. "Furious 7" grossed 1.5 Billion Globally but made about 350 Million Profit when all was said and done. Where as in the US, Studios get a larger share of the profits. This same thing is happening to "Pirates" and 'Transformers" right now. Domestically both franchises are starting to fall off from their predecessors but worldwide has exploded. And nobody said it was going to flop because Paul was gone but people were saying including myself there would a drop off slightly. If it can match "Furious 7" globally then the drop off won't be too bad but Domestically it could be 3rd or 4th in the Franchise: "Fast and Furious" only have decent legs after OW there's always a rush factor so it has about 2 weeks to clean up before summer season kicks off.

1 Furious 7 Uni. $353,007,020 4,022 $147,187,040 4,004 4/3/15
2 Fast & Furious 6 Uni. $238,679,850 3,771 $97,375,245 3,658 5/24/13
3 Fast Five Uni. $209,837,675 3,793 $86,198,765 3,644 4/29/11
4 Fast and Furious Uni. $155,064,265 3,674 $70,950,500 3,461 4/3/09
5 The Fast and the Furious Uni. $144,533,925 2,899 $40,089,015 2,628 6/22/01
6 2 Fast 2 Furious Uni. $127,154,901 3,418 $50,472,480 3,408 6/6/03
7 The Fate of the Furious Uni. $100,181,640 4,310 $100,181,640 4,310 4/14/17
8 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $62,514,415 3,030 $23,973,840 3,027 6/16/06

I think with any franchise you have the main players and the draws. It's been Vin and Paul as the main draws of the franchise. Yes adding Jason and Rock has helped tremendously as they bring in their own built in fanbase. I think the Domestic drop does have to do with Paul not being in it for the first time in 4 straight movies. That's obviously not Vin, F Gary Grey or the crew's fault.

The same thing happen with the Domestic drop from the "The Dark Knight" Trilogy as "Rises" dropped over 100 million domestically post Heath Ledger after "The Dark Knight" broke records but increased worldwide. 9 and 10 are looking good and could very well be 2 more Billion dollar films as long as the worldwide keeps strong. But there are franchises that increase domestically each film like "Lord of the Rings", "Captain America" and "Toy Story" to name a few but once you get up to the 8th installiment things change.

Last edited:

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

His death was big but he didn't carry the franchise..lol

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
His death was big but he didn't carry the franchise..lol

where I say he carried the franchise, his death was huge and it led to a huge uptick on the domestic number. Now the domestic number is settling back into where it was. Regardless, the rest of the world is fukkin with the series more and more :manny:

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't get why these movies make so much money but Im happy for The Rock and everyone else thats made boatloads of cash from them :manny: