Variety Estimating Fate Of The Furious to break Star Wars BO Record With $534 Million

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
It's going to have a fantastic global opening because they were smart and opened in more markets (65) including China. They saw the global explosion of "Furious 7" and made sure they dropped it in the biggest international markets opening weekend. So again smart business and strategy but sadly "Fast 8" will gross less than "Furious 7" because here in the US Domestically "Fast 8" is already underperfoming "Fast 7" and will probably make 100 Million less stateside. This means that sadly yes there was a drop off and I predicted this would happen minus Paul. Overseas was always going to do good but Domestically it seems to be headed downward. With all that said how can anyone hate? "Fast and Furious" disproves so many hollywood excuses about Diversity it's pathetic.

This series has had 2 Black Directors and 2 Asian Directors. Every culture and race is represented. The idea that diverse cast "Don't make money overseas" is B.S. I'm very happy for Vin and F. Gary Grey. Remember, John Singleton biggest grosser was also "2 fast, 2 Furious". So props to Vin and the team for keeping diversity so strong. But if we are talking numbers, the series has lost some thunder domestically here in the U.S. but internationally it seems to be holding just fine. So having the "Biggest International Opening" is hard to judge as different movies open in different markets. "The Force Awakens" did not open in China opening weekend. Just like "Suicide Squad" was banned in China and did not get that box office. But that's neither here nor there because every dollar "F&F" makes post Paul is icing on the cake. "Fast 8" will pass a Billion globally so it's true that F. Gary Gray will have the biggest film for a Black Director in History.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Rhetorical question. My best friend loves these movies. I roast him about it every time he tries to convince me they are watchable. I don't understand how ppl find this nonsense enjoyable :hubie:.
Connection to the characters man. When characters of any story hook you, you'll go along with anything that happens to them. Speaking for myself, when I can't get into the characters I don't care about anything else no matter how cool or awesome some stuff may be. That's the reason certain shows cats rave about on here I have no interest in because I've watched long enough to know I don't care about any of the people involved. So because we care about Dom and Hobbs and Letty and Roman etc the nonsense becomes enjoyable since we're invested. It's the reason why Paul walker being gone bums me out and still bums out a lot of people because he was Brian and we care about Brian. A lot.

These flicks aren't high art. No one would think that lol but it is an action franchise that pays a lot of attention to character, which is rare these days. It's the reason people sat through five die hard movies because they care a lot about john mcclane. No matter how ridiculous the franchise got. Any writer will tell you the most important thing to any story is character and if you don't have that, nothing else you do matters. Chris Morgan and crew have mastered that

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
Fast Five took the franchise from a niche genre (car chase/heist movie) to a bonafide summer blockbuster. For as much as people like to shyt on Chris Morgan (writer since Tokyo Drift), him and Justin Lin knew exactly what the franchise needed with being able to bring back the OG cast, then moving the entire series into a different direction.

Side-note: that Asian box office is only going to get bigger when they bring Han, Johnny Tran and DK back.:russ:
Johnny Tran my dude.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $100,181,640 18.8%
+ Foreign: $432,300,000 81.2%
= Worldwide: $532,481,640

First Estimates, amazing opening. But I'm a numbers guy, can't help to look at that domestic drop. Overseas will save this movie. As I was staying, look at Domestically. That's a 50 Million drop from "Furious 7" here in the states. You can't tell me Paul had nothing to do with that. "Furious 7" made 392 Million OW worldwide but it opened in less markets as "Fast 8". So to offset the loss of Paul, they opened in more international markets. Again smart stradegy but domestically or internationally it's not going to outgross "Furious 7" so this will be the first "Fast" film to drop in box office after 4 straight movies. Basically "Furious 7" is the pinnacle of the franchise at the box office. Yes it's downhill at this point. My final takes will be 1.1-1.2 Billion. 300-400 Million decrease from "Furious 7". Again icing on the cake at this point.

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
When you pigeon hole foreign audiences as being stupid or lazy because they don't speak English there's no limit to the things you can think of. :mjpls:

Couldn't possibly be because of the diverse cast and it embracing the entire world in its locations.
nope, ethnic chinese are known for their love of diversity breh? :mjpls:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Asians fukkin love cars. did it not even open in those countries yet? jesus, these shytty movies print money

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Deadline says that even if it weren't released in China and Russia, its worldwide box office would still have beaten Furious 7's opening weekend (which didn't include a release in China and Russia). So even if the franchise is slowing down domestically, it's still gaining ground internationally even without the expanding China territory.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $100,181,640 18.8%
+ Foreign: $432,300,000 81.2%
= Worldwide: $532,481,640

First Estimates, amazing opening. But I'm a numbers guy, can't help to look at that domestic drop. Overseas will save this movie. As I was staying, look at Domestically. That's a 50 Million drop from "Furious 7" here in the states. You can't tell me Paul had nothing to do with that. "Furious 7" made 392 Million OW worldwide but it opened in less markets as "Fast 8". So to offset the loss of Paul, they opened in more international markets. Again smart stradegy but domestically or internationally it's not going to outgross "Furious 7" so this will be the first "Fast" film to drop in box office after 4 straight movies. Basically "Furious 7" is the pinnacle of the franchise at the box office. Yes it's downhill at this point. My final takes will be 1.1-1.2 Billion. 300-400 Million decrease from "Furious 7". Again icing on the cake at this point.
This series doesn't even need domestic anymore you realize that?

The last film grossed over a billion without counting domestic.

The film already set records in a bunch of territories this weekend. It's going to make another billion overseas.

Every year that goes by domestic means less and less. Less people are going to films here while other countries keep expanding.

And 100 million stands as the 2nd highest debut for a fast film.

Nobody expected this to match fast 7.

A lot of people said Paul walker was the star and the franchise wold flop without him.