“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
But how did red control Ade? Reds experience below didn't have control of Ade above, it seemed the other way around

but dig - this is how I saw it:

When Ade's folks were in the doctors' office, she could hear what they were saying.
As I heard it, the doctor told them to encourage her with "her dancing" - implying that
Ade was already a dancer before.

So New Ade prolly took up dancing just to look normal above ground,
but when Red/OG Ade mirrored the dancing, she caught flashback of who she used to be - which was the trigger to her other memories. Especially if everybody else underground could see her execution of dancing was different than the way they executed their actions down there. Remember, Red lowkey thanked Ade for choosing to dance so that she could.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:mjlol:"YO WHY DIDNT THE 7 YEAR OLD GIRL
WHO WOKE UP HANDCUFFED UNDERGROUND
JUST LEAVE?

IM SURE SHE KNEW HOW TO GET OUT OF THERE."

IM SURE IT TOOK HER YEARS
TO FIGURE OUT WTF HAPPENED.

REMEMBER HER PARENTS DOWN THERE
LOOKED JUST LIKE HER PARENTS UP TOP.
:devil:
:evil:

I dont see it breh:yeshrug:. Honestly. Even if it was after some time, she couldve left

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
But you have to remember
even in that case she didnt have trauma. She couldnt talk cause she was a clone. Not due to any trauma
I wasnt talking about her. I was talking about OG girl. He was saying that in regards to the clone, but the trauma was actually happening with his real little girl. That 15 minute window was enough time for her to be "stuck there"

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I wasnt talking about her. I was talking about OG girl. He was saying that in regards to the clone, but the trauma was actually happening with his real little girl. That 15 minute window was enough time for her to be "stuck there"
yeah I just disagree. 15 minutes to develop full blown Stockholm syndrome and be stuck for 30 years? Like you dont see how that's a stretch? That's my point. You can make a case but that's a mr. Fantastic stretch imo. And that's what I mean by giving Peele a pass. I just dont see that has plausible

BlackDynamite310

All Star
Daps
I don’t see how people just figure red would know how to get out as a child. She literally wakes up chained to a bed. Doesn’t know where she is surrounded by people that look exactly like the people she just saw outside including her parents. That is trauma on a whole other level.

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
You have the right to be entitled to your fukking feelings all you want, breh. But if a movie is shyt, I call it shyt. If a movie is trying to fake depth, I call that shyt out too.

This is neither. This is an intellectual flick that’s liable to go over a lot of people’s heads. Like I said, it took some reflection for me to realize this was deeper and had a profound message. Get Out I’ve seen four times. It requires no reflection to get the message. But just thinking about US from one watch has me realizing the deeper shyt within it. Some may never get it. But for those who understand it, the shyt is fukking amazing
Lol you one of them fake deep mfs I can tell .. have fun analyzing a movie that doesn’t need any smart dumb mf

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
I don’t see how people just figure red would know how to get out as a child. She literally wakes up chained to a bed. Doesn’t know where she is surrounded by people that look exactly like the people she just saw outside including her parents. That is trauma on a whole other level.
shyt didn’t the other child get out?

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
However, as for the portrayal of the black father...:francis:

Peele has a hulking, married black father acting like a scared deer throughout the film (fresh off of Winston Duke playing the great warrior M'Baku), while making the black/Kenyan mother the SOLE, strong heroic figure. It is one of the most emasculating portrayals of a black father that has ever seen on screen. And Howard U folks should be mad, too, for the use of their logo sweatshirt being tied to weakness and fear.

Okay but I thought that was real dope.

That happened when I thought the movie was gonna be on some Black chit.

But isn't that scene indicative of the Black American woman?

- The Black woman was the shot caller and mouthpiece for the family.
- When the Black woman snapped her fingers, everybody jumped into action.

- The Black man/fathers' task was to put on what Surface man had on, and try do what he does.
- The Surface girl was given a head start free to run wherever she wanted, the Black girls job was to catch up to her.
- The Black woman just wanted her boy to be able to go play with the Surface boy.
- When asked what she wanted, the Black woman said she just wanted to take her time and enjoy herself; to have the option of deciding what she wanted to do, and not be linked with the Surface woman anymore.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Honestly tho. This is one of the most polarizing movies I've ever seen. I've watched it 3 times. 2 with groups. Personally I dont like the movie at All. I do think there are messages but I dont think the base movie was good enough to get past on solely having "a deeper meaning". At the end of the day your story needs to make sense. Then you can add on your symbolism. A lot of people are given Peele excuses and a ton of plotholes the benefit of the doubt because he had some allegories sprinkled in. But until I can get a truly validate answer to glaring plotholes like
why Red didnt just leave
I'm gonna consider this movie the middest of midpacks. Just way too many poorly written conveniences we just have to suspense our belief for as an audience imo. Very disappointed in his sophomore effort
STOP

Do you realize little kids get kidnaped all the time in situations where adults can dismissively say “why didn’t they just leave”:dwillhuh:

I little kid can get lost in public in regular life and completely shut down if there are no familiar or trusting faces around.

It’s not hard given ALL THE BIZARRENESS of her situation and what she was seeing to think that she could be immediately traumatized.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I asked this earlier. And someone answered, but I can't find their post. So, I'll ask again.

How can the Clone People below, without meeting or seeing their "SURFACE COUNTERPARTS", do the same actions as the Surface People? How is that possible? Or, are we just supposed to go with it's "a movie" and believe the Underground People, "just knew" how to do exactly what their Surface counterparts did?