“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
And where were they getting clothes and fukking scissors? Did they not shyt? Shouldn't there be blood and human waste all over the floors? What about babies? They couldn't eat rabbits. The movie was smart dumb. A lot of metaphors and imagery for the sake of bad performance art... Too much technical detail missing and forced suspended belief for me to take this movie as a serious horror film. It's a long episode of the twilight zone with fine ass Lupita. The character interaction while dealing with the tethered was weak and didn't reflect a realistic and horrifying event. They left each other alone and made stupid jokes and never seemed to really give a fukk that the world was ending. The soundtrack was great and the cinematography was top rate.
The movie had no emotion. Felt rushed and took my patience for granted with a weak ending.
I would see it again for the hidden symbols.
There's hint in the writing that they've been secretly taking trips.

The dad mentions to the daughter that she needs to train on the sand. The traction is what can make her faster. The doppleganger happens to be fast as shyt. She "grew up" right by the beach. So I don't think this was the first trip.

This was an uprising planned for years...

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Could make the case there are plenty of kids "kidnapped" and the trauma of that keeps them from simply leaving the house
And this is another inherent problem I have with this movie. Way to much of the "you can make the case". I could postulate any plothole of any movie away. At a certain point it's the writers duty to IMO to explain more with a plot point that significant. And that's what I mean by I think people are giving Peele a pass.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Did they cook the wabbits?
Or eat them shyts alive?
:jbhmm:

That has to be problematic to someones health if they ate them live.
:patrice:
They at them raw, thats why Red was so angry when explaining her motives at the start.
She experienced every Christmas and all the joys in life of being a kid. Good dinners and what not but only for raw rabbit for every damn meal. That would drive any person who didn’t belong there to the point of planning a way to get to where they belong

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
She was chained up at first.

And the girl obviously got Stockholm Syndrome at some point because she led a clone revolution.
You see, I truly dont see that has a valid excuse. Especially when you consider the anger she clearly had in her heart for being left there. Reasonably speaking, how long would she have to be chained up there to develop Stockholm syndrome long enough to not get out? I would guess long enough to starve

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a dikk. If you like you movie, fair enough. Just me, as an audience member needed Peele to do more to support my suspension of disbelief

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
And this is another inherent problem I have with this movie. Way to much of the "you can make the case". I could postulate any plothole of any movie away. At a certain point it's the writers duty to IMO to explain more with a plot point that significant. And that's what I mean by I think people are giving Peele a pass.

Lol. What I posted is a REALITY for people. The whole time the movie was discussing "trauma" but we didn't get it later who had it.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
Prolly by then she was already mind fukk by what she was seeing on a daily basis, down there by all the tethered people

keep in mind the main theory that keeps getting thrown around (At least in this thread)
is that Adeline was raped by Gabe's tethered version, No woman is the same after
having to go through something like that.

she wasn't chained to the bed for 25 plus years. we see her dancing when she is around the same age as the above-ground girl. the fact that she stayed down there so long is a major plot hole.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:mjlol:"YO WHY DIDNT THE 7 YEAR OLD GIRL
WHO WOKE UP HANDCUFFED UNDERGROUND
JUST LEAVE?

IM SURE SHE KNEW HOW TO GET OUT OF THERE."

IM SURE IT TOOK HER YEARS
TO FIGURE OUT WTF HAPPENED.

REMEMBER HER PARENTS DOWN THERE
LOOKED JUST LIKE HER PARENTS UP TOP.
:devil:
:evil:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Also a good point that I didn’t really reflect on. I recognized the rabbits as their source of food, but the utility of how fast rabbits reproduce slipped my mind. This movie has a bunch of hidden gems

Rabbits are also historically used for testing, then discarded like they ain't chit. So sending them underground for the Tethered is killing two birds with one stone...

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You see, I truly dont see that has a valid excuse. Especially when you consider the anger she clearly had in her heart for being left there. Reasonably speaking, how long would she have to be chained up there to develop Stockholm syndrome long enough to not get out? I would guess long enough to starve

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be a dikk. If you like you movie, fair enough. Just me, as an audience member needed Peele to do more to support my suspension of disbelief

Well, we know there were kid clones. If a disoriented little child like she was gets freed from her chains with no real idea where the hell she is, she could have easily connected with the clones her age to cope with the situation. Plus I'm sure the adult clones intimidated her.

Plenty of fukking reasons why a little baby girl would be stuck in that situation. Then after years of it, it becomes normal until you have the opportunity to do something about it when you get older

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Is tethering control though? Because it seems like both the human and clone are sorta forced to do whatever their counterpart does. I only say this because, like you said, Red was dancing, but it appeared as though she was dancing during one of Adelaide's dance recitals.
She told her
if it wasn't for you I never would have danced

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Lol. What I posted is a REALITY for people. The whole time the movie was discussing "trauma" but we didn't get it later who had it.
Yeah it's a reality for people with Stockholm syndrome. I dont think she had Stockholm syndrome :yeshrug:. Dont you need to be captive or held hostage to develop that? My whole point is nothing was holding her hostage and she wasnt being held captive. I might be wrong but I dont think you can develop Stockholm syndrome in a house with an open door

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Yeah it's a reality for people with Stockholm syndrome. I dont think she had Stockholm syndrome :yeshrug:. Dont you need to be captive or held hostage to develop that? My whole point is nothing was holding her hostage and she wasnt being held captive. I might be wrong but I dont think you can develop Stockholm syndrome in a house with an open door
Peele's writing actually got you as well.

The father said
"People in Nam get trauma. She was gone for 15 minutes"

The dismissiveness by the father sort of highlighted how people don't realize that all this stuff is relative. To her that was enough time for her to have serious issues.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Well, we know there were kid clones. If a disoriented little child like she was gets freed from her chains with no real idea where the hell she is, she could have easily connected with the clones her age to cope with the situation. Plus I'm sure the adult clones intimidated her.

Plenty of fukking reasons why a little baby girl would be stuck in that situation. Then after years of it, it becomes normal until you have the opportunity to do something about it when you get older
Ehhhh you see that a reach to me. Has a normal, fully functioning girl you really think she'd stay because she made connections with deranged clone children? I honestly dont see it fam.

I bet the adults did freak her out before visually but it's not as if they'd actively spot her from going. After her dance, where we know she wasnt chained up and we know she wasnt intimidated by the tethered would have been a great time to get the hell out imo

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Peele's writing actually got you as well.

The father said
"People in Nam get trauma. She was gone for 15 minutes"

The dismissiveness by the father sort of highlighted how people don't realize that all this stuff is relative. To her that was enough time for her to have serious issues.
But you have to remember
even in that case she didnt have trauma. She couldnt talk cause she was a clone. Not due to any trauma