“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
People can try to elevate this into some genius piece of work, but the shyt was light. The writing was horrible. So many cringe worthy lines. Set traps like home alone....really breh :comeon:

Actually all the characters were poorly written. We already knew Peele was gonna have an underlying message, but simply having a message isn't what makes a movie great. It's how you convey that message that matters. And this movie was all over the place and super corny at times. It feels like Peele just threw it all together and left it to the audience to make something out of it.

Nah breh....if you have a message then it's up to you to get that message across. Peele did that to perfection with Get Out. It was clear. It was unique. It was something brand new. But this film was just sloppy. The terrible writing is what really brought this film down though. shyt was tyler perry bad....so much forced humor and cheesy jokes. People are gonna keep searching for all the hidden meanings, but you shouldn't have to spend hours dissecting something to find the genius in it. The film is supposed to do that itself. I'll still give Peele the benefit of the doubt and check out his next one, but he overplayed his hand with this one.

I feel the same way, but maybe it all went over my head :yeshrug:

I gotta go fire up that Zima Blue to get my mind right now. Get me in my feels in 10 minutes:wow:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Thread is proving my point. This is TPOB, Yeezus, etc of discussion in movie form. Depends on what you're looking for. If it does flop after the initial weekend, then he she pull a Kendrick and make his next commercially entertaining. And at the same time please the nerds like Kendrick did by the album being played in reverse. Message plus entertainment pleases both sides.

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If people think this is poorly written, I would love to see their example of something that’s well written.

Dudes talking about the dad saying corny lines when the point of his character was WRITTEN to be a corny black guy. :mjlol:

There’s no character development but yet there’s two sides to literally every main character in the movie :stopitslime:. Did you want a backstory on how the father got into Howard or how the daughter made her first track team?

I can see how you can say ideas weren’t fleshed out or explained (Hands Across America I still don’t get the big tie-in) but I had no issue with the characters or writing.

Marco Zen

Black Privilege
Daps
Reppin
The Other A
Some helpful videos. Made me like the movie more

]

This is all well and good and yea after watching this it makes me give the movie a few more points than I originally did (originally thought the movie was just dumb)

I still should've caught all this during the movie, and its not my fault I didn't...

Good movies don't have to be explained to you after the fact for them to be good..

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
If people think this is poorly written, I would love to see their example of something that’s well written.

Dudes talking about the dad saying corny lines when the point of his character was WRITTEN to be a corny black guy. :mjlol:

There’s no character development but yet there’s two sides to literally every main character in the movie :stopitslime:. Did you want a backstory on how the father got into Howard or how the daughter made her first track team?

I can see how you can say ideas weren’t fleshed out or explained (Hands Across America I still don’t get the big tie-in) but I had no issue with the characters or writing.
Yea man everything that needed to be explained was explained in plane sight. :russ:

We didn’t need to know who was cloning them cause that wasn’t important in the story.

Next thing dudes gonna wanna know what was the parents jobs for them to have money like that

The shyt he was saying was corny cause he was corny :dead:

And all I got from the hands across America part was that the program was going on when she first was switched so it stuck with her, and the original shirt she had on before her pops won the thriller shirt was a hands across America shyt.

So that was the only example of revolution she knew so she based hers off it

The stuff that needed to be explained all was explained right in the movie tho

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
This is all well and good and yea after watching this it makes me give the movie a few more points than I originally did (originally thought the movie was just dumb)

I still should've caught all this during the movie, and its not my fault I didn't...

Good movies don't have to be explained to you after the fact for them to be good..
:yeshrug: I’m not sure how you didn’t catch everything said in the video tho. It was clearly explained

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I got that but it seemed like the humans had no conscious feeling of the clones. I know it's a conspiracy but maybe that's what that flouride in the water scene was for..maybe they were implying that it weakened the humans ability to sense the tethers?

The "above grounds " were never supposed to sense their shadows. That would defeat the entire purpose of cloning them secretly.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After further reflection, US > Get Out.

It was just more ambitious, more entertaining, and the humor in the movie didn’t rely on a fukking TSA agent.

Get Out was good as hell, don’t get me wrong. But it relied heavily on Hollywood tropes, especially with the protagonist taking out each villain in order and being saved by Deus Ex Machina.

US is not for simple-minded people, who could easily understand something like Get Out. This is a spoiler thread so if you haven’t seen it, spoilers ahead.

People are asking dumb as shyt questions like what the rabbits were for or why a little girl chained to a bed surrounded by abnormal humanoids couldn’t just escape. People are complaining about why Red monologued with Adelaide instead of just killing her family outright when it should be fukking obvious given the circumstances.

Motherfukkers are even asking why this is R. Nikka, my post would be rated R and it has less F words than US. We hear the unedited version of “Fukk the Police”. We see the white family get fukking slaughtered with plenty of blood. We see a fireplace poker in someone’s head with a shytton of blood. A doppelgänger cuts her own face with bloody results. We see a clone bent in fukking half in a tree, also with blood. We see a child on fire. The final fight was bloody as hell.

This was way bloodier than Get Out and they don’t allow more than one F word in PG-13 films (they MIGHT allow up to four depending on the theme of the film, but that’s extremely rare).

This earned its R rating.

US was just deeper than Get Out. Yes, Get Out was a damn good movie with a lot of food for thought. But the more I reflect on US, I realize how much more pertinent the message is in the movie without being so overly blatant like Get Out was. US wasn’t about the twist. It was about what the twist MEANT and I think a lot of people aren’t smart enough to appreciate that. :francis:

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
After further reflection, US > Get Out.

It was just more ambitious, more entertaining, and the humor in the movie didn’t rely on a fukking TSA agent.

Get Out was good as hell, don’t get me wrong. But it relied heavily on Hollywood tropes, especially with the protagonist taking out each villain in order and being saved by Deus Ex Machina.

US is not for simple-minded people, who could easily understand something like Get Out. This is a spoiler thread so if you haven’t seen it, spoilers ahead.

People are asking dumb as shyt questions like what the rabbits were for or why a little girl chained to a bed surrounded by abnormal humanoids couldn’t just escape. People are complaining about why Red monologued with Adelaide instead of just killing her family outright when it should be fukking obvious given the circumstances.

Motherfukkers are even asking why this is R. Nikka, my post would be rated R and it has less F words than US. We hear the unedited version of “Fukk the Police”. We see the white family get fukking slaughtered with plenty of blood. We see a fireplace poker in someone’s head with a shytton of blood. A doppelgänger cuts her own face with bloody results. We see a clone bent in fukking half in a tree, also with blood. We see a child on fire. The final fight was bloody as hell.

This was way bloodier than Get Out and they don’t allow more than one F word in PG-13 films (they MIGHT allow up to four depending on the theme of the film, but that’s extremely rare).

This earned its R rating.

US was just deeper than Get Out. Yes, Get Out was a damn good movie with a lot of food for thought. But the more I reflect on US, I realize how much more pertinent the message is in the movie without being so overly blatant like Get Out was. US wasn’t about the twist. It was about what the twist MEANT and I think a lot of people aren’t smart enough to appreciate that. :francis:
Okay genius what did the twist MEAN then