“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
Just seen this. 9/10 easily. Mental midget ass nikkas saying it was trash because they couldn't understand the symbolism :mjlol:.
Lupitas sexy ass self:ohlawd:

Winston Duke was funny af:mjlol:

All the literary devices were on point from the symbolism to the foreshadowing to the themes:whew:

Better than Get Out to me:yeshrug:

Last edited:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Movie was a 7/10 for me. Very dope cinematography. Movie didn’t explain enough for me though and the families both did stupid horror movie dumb stuff. Also, I figured the big twist out within the first 20 mins or so due to them omitting something they showed repeatedly in the trailer.

In the trailers they always showed the little girls meeting in the mirror house and it showed the little girl choking the other one. At the beginning of the movie and every time they showed them meeting up in the flashback they never showed the choking part. Then Red shows up and talks but talks like her throat got crushed in the past. :snoop:

Like, okay that’s just too obvious that the girl choked the other and took her place when you factor in she wouldn’t talk when she went back to her family. If that’s such a crucial part to the story and it’s also a really surprising/impressive scene, LEAVE IT OUT OF THE fukkING TRAILER. Use another shot goddammit. I shouldn’t be able to use basic ass deductive reasoning to figure out a major plot point that early on because you got lazy with deciding what to put in the trailer and what not. Why do studios keep doing this type of shyt man? It low key took me out of the movie a bit.

Anyways, good flick. Somewhat safe, but that’s okay. Will prob watch a few more times when it leaks. Curious to see what Peele comes up with next. No idea why it got the crazy reviews it did but don’t let them overhyping it detract from your enjoyment. Movie reviewers are fukking stupid

You're right about the trailer I completely forgot about it but thinking back they did show that. Though in retrospect, they did the same thing in Get Out seeing his girl on the porch with a shotgun. I'll take that as them not being so much worried about the twist as the message, although it certainly can cause a hit to the experience for those that remember it.

Tying that shyt back to the voice though? Crazy. I just looked at it as her losing her capacity to speak in her formative years being around the shadows after all that time because no one else could. If she got her fukkin larynx crushed as a child, that might do it too :russ:

Respect.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
The movie explained in my understanding:

The tethered or underground people were pretty much a representation of the poor. The reason they couldn't speak is because like poor people in real life there voices are never heard. Lupita's tethered character was able to talk because she was once on top. Throughout the movie Jeremiah 11:11 is shown. In the bible Jeremiah was a leader who was able to set his people free or something like that, which is what Lupitas tethered character was supposed to embody. During the very first scene in the movie the commercial is showing red cut outs holding hands and the commercial talks about all the hungry and poor people around the world and in the movie the tethered people hold hands and wear red as well so again that was foreshadowing and saying the tethered are an underclass group. The rabbits is symbolism of being pure. They ate the rabbits symbolizing they lost their pureness and had to do whatever it takes to survive. The rabbits also symbolize the tethered themselves, the test rabbits the government uses during experiments often get abandoned just like the government abonened the tethered when their experiment failed. Lupitas tethered character is seen as the bad guy despite the fact she was the one who was wronged in reality, so she's just misunderstood really and just wants to live the life she was supposed to live. Just like how poor people in real life just want to live life like the privileged people of society.

Theres ALOOOOTTTT more to it than that but that's the basic idea. Again genius movie:ehh:.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Another small thing...
Was Red's dad in the beginning of the film suppose to be an alcoholic? Or a good dad but a dude with flaws? He was acting and moving weird as hell at the theme park. Were they trying to insinuate he was a sloppy drunk? And even at the counseling he appeared pretty :manny: about the daughter while the mom was in shambles
I think the point was that they weren't a perfect model family, but...

... still Adelaide was raised by this not perfect family and turned into a normal person. It also allows it easier to accept they didn't realize how much their daughter had changed, because he may never have paid too much attention to her and her mom just felt guilt.

Either way, the normal girl who is lost and forgotten (Red) becomes a monster, but the doppelganger destined for madness and ruin (Adelaide) comes out okay. The tethers weren't mad creatures because they were "empty" clones of humans, they were mad because they were locked away, ignored and had no say over their lives.

The only thing that makes the originals different from the tethers is that they could experience life freely, even from a lesser than perfect upbringing as is implied might have been the case with Adelaide's parents.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This movie is dope thematically if you don’t read books in general. Otherwise the hamfisted takeaways are just generic tropes.

Lupita is an amazing actress. This might be her best role ever.

But the movie doesn’t deserve the R-rating.

Part of me feels like the 90s has r-rated movies harder than this.

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
It was cool I’m gonna have to read breakdowns online. Definitely not fukking with Get Out though.
why read the breakdowns..

that are opinionated and far of from what Jordan made...wait until he break it down vs a critic..

its on kodi..rewatch it n come up with ya own narrative..

critics killin it like they do albums...

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
This movie is dope thematically if you don’t read books in general. Otherwise the hamfisted takeaways are just generic tropes.

Yeah. There really wasnt no OUTRAGEOUS violence like that in this.
shyt was wild tame to be honest.
It was more about the tension if anything.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies

90’s was still for the most part a literally film era, had to do more with less in some aspects, and the society as a whole in terms of movie goers expected diffferent things back then, I feel like back then things were written to be immensely more open to interpretation and dialogue was meant to be followed to a fault you could get lost in it if you didn’t focus

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I’m surprised the dad isn’t getting more hate on here: super emasculated character, beyond flabby and sick, cac-cent, cornball brother, etc. He’s like the antithesis of the “coli breh,” trope. :mjlol:

Even I hated that dude by the end of the movie. Lol

Last edited: