“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

darryl

Superstar
Daps
I don't get grown people talking about a movie wasn't scary.

I haven't been scared watching a movie since I was a child. No movie is scary to me.

Now some movies are intense and I think saying this movie wasn't intense is arguing in bad faith.

But I don't jump in my seat at theaters or shield my eyes because something is scary. What grown people (especially men) are expecting to be legitimately scared by fictional movies?
Man shut up

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Okay, I have to say something about the "twist" because that word is overused as fukk and people seem to misunderstand what it actually means, because it was not a twist, it was a reveal (small big difference).

In terms of the narrative the reveal changes nothing about her being the tether all along other than it explaining why 'Red' was special compared to the other tethers. It's not meant to be an 'Oh, it was her all along' shock, it was a narrative conclusion.

Second, what it really means in terms of the movie's themes is that it goes back to what 'Red' said about the tethers. They could copy the body but there remained one soul, assumed to be in the original, making the doppelgangers tethered to the originals. But Adelaide and Red switched places, and Red ended up living a normal life.

The implication of the switch is that the "soul" of a person is a manifestation being raised with love and care, which her parents did after the traumatic event, while the "soulless" are those forgotten by society and treated as pariahs. Since the tethers represent those ignored by the government (and in a way society), they represent the state of a soulless America (hence the "we are Americans" line).

This also ties into Hands Across America which was to bring awareness to homeless people, the oft forgotten and ignored shadow side of society, one that is almost as big as modern society in itself.

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man shut up

You shut up, you scary ass clutching your pearls in the movie theater ass nikka. If a movie scares you as a grown man, bring your boyfriend next time so you can have someone to hold you in his arms whenever something “scary” happens. Matter of fact, bend over so you won’t see the “scary” parts, suck his dyck, and swallow. Won’t even have to waste money on refreshments. You’re a whole bytch. :wrist:

Who the fukk are you anyway, fakkit, and what made your bytch ass think you could address me period, let alone tell me to shut up? You shouldn’t be afraid of some fictional entertainment on the big screen, you should be afraid of thinking your bytch ass is anonymous on this forum and making the mistake of getting yourself involved in a real life horror. :demonic:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This is exactly why I quoted @NobodyReally 's Chris Stuckman review with the Screen Junkies review.

Because they made the case its very similar to Unbreakable being the follow up to Sixth Sense. Its just different. Needs time to unpack, accept, etc. (Remember Unbreakable was VERY mixed when it first dropped. A lot of people saying "its no Sixth Sense"

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Saw it last night. Answer me this
did Red kill the original Adelaide at the end? During that whole transaction of Red stabbing her and then breaking her neck with the cuffs, that shyt was weird and I feel like the original Adelaide soul hopped in her body

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
You shut up, you scary ass clutching your pearls in the movie theater ass nikka. If a movie scares you as a grown man, bring your boyfriend next time so you can have someone to hold you in his arms whenever something “scary” happens. Matter of fact, bend over so you won’t see the “scary” parts, suck his dyck, and swallow. Won’t even have to waste money on refreshments. You’re a whole bytch. :wrist:

Who the fukk are you anyway, fakkit, and what made your bytch ass think you could address me period, let alone tell me to shut up? You shouldn’t be afraid of some fictional entertainment on the big screen, you should be afraid of thinking your bytch ass is anonymous on this forum and making the mistake of getting yourself involved in a real life horror. :demonic:
giphy.gif

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Okay, I have to say something about the "twist" because that word is overused as fukk and people seem to misunderstand what it actually means, because it was not a twist, it was a reveal (small big difference).

In terms of the narrative the reveal changes nothing about her being the tether all along other than it explaining why 'Red' was special compared to the other tethers. It's not meant to be an 'Oh, it was her all along' shock, it was a narrative conclusion.

Second, what it really means in terms of the movie's themes is that it goes back to what 'Red' said about the tethers. They could copy the body but there remained one soul, assumed to be in the original, making the doppelgangers tethered to the originals. But Adelaide and Red switched places, and Red ended up living a normal life.

The implication of the switch is that the "soul" of a person is a manifestation being raised with love and care, which her parents did after the traumatic event, while the "soulless" are those forgotten by society and treated as pariahs. Since the tethers represent those ignored by the government (and in a way society), they represent the state of a soulless America (hence the "we are Americans" line).

This also ties into Hands Across America which was to bring awareness to homeless people, the oft forgotten and ignored shadow side of society, one that is almost as big as modern society in itself.
I loved the ending reveal because it answered why Red was the only Tether that could speak and it gave explanation to why there were so many moments where Addie seemed to be enjoying the violence she was inflicting. I was coming up with all sorts of ideas in my head so I appreciated what Peele did and it also made Red an even more sympathetic character upon reflection.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
When did the son switch places???
I didn't see Jason's behavior as him switching places with his double but more of him peeping who his mom really is or at least what she is capable of and how she seems to enjoy it. Remember he saw her kill Red and one of the twins and in both of those situations she seemed to be relishing the kills.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps

Jesus Christ:picard:

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
I hope to watch this sometime tonight. To see the Rotten Tomatoes ratings, and other critic reviews, in comparison to a lot of y’all reactions...I legit don’t know what the hell to expect :russ:

....I Am surprised that out of all of these big review quotes that I’ve yet to see one of them goofy, stereotypical, cac ass ones that proclaim the movie to be “Get Out meets Slipknot!” :francis:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
I loved the ending reveal because it answered why Red was the only Tether that could speak and it gave explanation to why there were so many moments where Addie seemed to be enjoying the violence she was inflicting. I was coming up with all sorts of ideas in my head so I appreciated what Peele did and it also made Red an even more sympathetic character upon reflection.

True. By the end, having seen the explanation, the mirrored images of the night where the "privelged" we're enjoying a roller coaster while the shadows we're slamming into walls, the concept of this population being the down trodden of the US, of mankind, of whatever you want to call it hit home and it really made them sympathetic - finding out about the switch, even that suspected it throughout, made it that much more impactful. That smirk at the end just left me like :wow: this bytch. Immediately I felt bad for supporting her throughout the movie.

This shyt wasn't scary in the typical sense, much like Get Out, but in a whole psychological fukking you up kind of way of just what we do to our own (humans) that left me just like :jbhmm: the rest of the night. It wasn't at all what I was expecting and I was pissed that it took until the end for all of the pieces to come together but fukk I loved how it was wrapped up.