“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I saw it a 3rd time yesterday:
Forgot to mention a connection: Red & Chris spent a lot of time watching tv as kids...

-And the tunnels mentioned at the start of the movie are rabbit holes that connected the under ground people.

-I think the under ground people were like the Id of everyone (Id, ego, super ego) because they were like cavemen.

-The basement is also where the main character had the big battle... maybe I’m reaching for the basement with Get Out & in Us but the basement leads to a great deal with the plot.
-Jason also referred to underground family in the yard as the boogie mans family. I also think the sons were somehow switched...
Yeah I think this is possible too. The way he looks at his mom at the end could be that he was acknowledging to her that he knew her secret because he was from the same place.

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I havent seen this film yet, but Im interested to watch it cause considering what just transpired in the black community this past week, the undertones suggested by reviews of the feature from others has heightened my curiosity.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
One of the most important aspects in the movie imo is the husband. Even tho dude was apparently successful and went to an HBCU he was still pressed to get acceptance from the white dude. Also he was wounded by himself and became completely dependent on a black woman. But all of it stemmed from him wanting to gain white acceptance which is why they went on the trip in the first place

He was one of the biggest pieces that related back to Get Out. He was in the Sunken Place. He didn't recognize the dangers his family was in and half heartedly protected em. Spent the entire first half of the film trying to live up to be the white man instead of walking in his own Truth.
To me, the clone Lupita was also a representative of a Black person being in the Sunken Place, full mind body and soul was gone and the original her was broken.
I also interpreted the son "seeing her" as his awakening.

The "Native American" imagery with the lil girl Lupita walking under the sign "Find Yourself" led me down this rabbit hole. Along with the proclamation "We're Americans"

I really enjoyed this film. :ehh:

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Side note, the musical choices in this movie are why we need diverse groups of people making movies. I'm white but I'm just being real here....most white directors, even if they're hip-hop fans, would never think to turn "I Got Five On It" into a horror anthem. Not to mention the "fukk The Police" scene. I see some people saying they didn't like that scene....I fukking loved it just based on how random it was. The Beach Boys shyt was cool prior to that....but a gang of horror movies use happy and/or upbeat songs in a creepy/scary way....but a gangsta rap song? It's damn near unheard of.

Fred.

fukk The Police being played during that scene, especially when the kids were just looking at each other and heading upstairs was some fantastic cinema, and I have no idea why these dweebs on here thought otherwise.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Why do y’all keep thinking the son was switched
I think the son was switched due to his clone having the burned face. They mention the fire and I believe that the grandmother died in a fire the year before. I think that the son started that fire doing his magic trick and was burned as a result. I think that’s when the switch took place. If you remember they said they’d been waiting for them to come back. The son spent damn near the entire movie trying to do the trick and couldn’t. At one point the daughter even mentioned how he couldn’t do it anymore. Also the son didn’t really have too many lines in the movie except for some basic shyt. And he kept saying bad words. Which had me thinking maybe he’s still learning how to talk. His clone who was the original him was acting like an animal almost basically becuz he was going crazy from living underground. At the end of the movie him and Lupita gave each other that look like they both knew what time it was

Anyway that’s how I interpreted it. I’m prolly wrong tho
:russ:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I think the son was switched due to his clone having the burned face. They mention the fire and I believe that the grandmother died in a fire the year before. I think that the son started that fire doing his magic trick and was burned as a result. I think that’s when the switch took place. If you remember they said they’d been waiting for them to come back. The son spent damn near the entire movie trying to do the trick and couldn’t. At one point the daughter even mentioned how he couldn’t do it anymore. Also the son didn’t really have too many lines in the movie except for some basic shyt. And he kept saying bad words. Which had me thinking maybe he’s still learning how to talk. His clone who was the original him was acting like an animal almost basically becuz he was going crazy from living underground. At the end of the movie him and Lupita gave each other that look like they both knew what time it was

Anyway that’s how I interpreted it. I’m prolly wrong tho
:russ:

There was no "learning how to talk" breh. The tethered people couldn't talk at all. The reason Red was able to organize them and seen as a savior is partially because she was the only one that could talk.

The fact that the son could talk means he wasn't switched.

Fred.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
There was no "learning how to talk" breh. The tethered people couldn't talk at all. The reason Red was able to organize them and seen as a savior is partially because she was the only one that could talk.

The fact that the son could talk means he wasn't switched.

Fred.
But when Lupita was switched as a girl she couldn’t talk at first. Even in that scene at the beach she explained to the whites lady that she had trouble speaking sometimes

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
But when Lupita was switched as a girl she couldn’t talk at first. Even in that scene at the beach she explained to the whites lady that she had trouble speaking sometimes

Yeah but Lupita lived her whole life above ground.

The son ain't gonna get switched, not talk, then learn to talk all in a couple years. He's too young. If he went years without talking and they mentioned it then I could maybe see how that's possible.

Fred.