“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
One of the most important aspects in the movie imo is the husband. Even tho dude was apparently successful and went to an HBCU he was still pressed to get acceptance from the white dude. Also he was wounded by himself and became completely dependent on a black woman. But all of it stemmed from him wanting to gain white acceptance which is why they went on the trip in the first place

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got done seeing this about an hour or so ago.

Really enjoyed it. Went in mostly blind, didn't check for reviews it theories, or anything like that. Made it far more enjoyable, since I went into it thinking of it as a thriller/horror movie first.

I called the twist ahead of time, but that was mainly because I expect those out of horror movies.

Peele did one of my favorite good director tricks with giving you just enough backstory on everything to want to know more, and think up your own stories. This really does have enough legit unexplored content that a sequel/prequel/spinoff, if done well, would actually be pretty good.

I explained it to my girlfriend that Get Out is by far a better movie, but I have no desire to watch it again, since the base of the horror is built around things I encounter in real life. I'd be glad to see Us again because the base level of what they were getting at (essentially nature vs nurture) isn't something I see or encounter every day. Overall still a really good movie, and something I hope leads to continued success for Peele.

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Finally saw it last night.. I enjoyed it and think it should be a movie watched in a movie theater.. while I don’t think the execution at the end was done without plot holes or head scratching moments, you gotta just take it as entertainment for what it is. Obviously some of it is open to interpretation. At some point there are no right or wrong answers. Maybe like others have suggested, not everything has to be explained. It would’ve been just fine watching the tethered terrorize the family for no rhyme or reason, just for the scares. Regardless I gotta give Peele props for the creativity and look forward to his future projects.

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
Saw it yesterday. Good entertaining flick. Overall message is pretty clear. Whether or not the twist was predictable, I think still lends itself to making you reconsider on who you feel is the victim/protagonist which is pretty cool. Looking at anything deeper than those two things it's just pretentious and silly IMO

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Spent most of the movie on the edge of my seat and was VERY disappointed with the ending.
Left the theater with a few questions that YouTube cleared up quickly.
In retrospect, I feel like too much time was spent on building moments of tension and too little time was spent developing and resolving the major plot twist.
You could argue that the entire movie was a build up to the twist and that alone should be sufficient, but to me, I wanted way more questions answered and felt they had plenty of time to do so if they trimmed some of the fat.
Lupita steals the show hands down. I can't say enough about how incredible her performance was.
Cinematography wise, the movie was a blast to watch. The lighting, the camera framing, everything was like a masterclass in how a movie should be filmed and edited.
I want to see it again but not necessarily enough to buy another movie ticket.

Sidenote: Dolby Digital is the freakin standard for me from now on.
I didn't even realize this even existed. Huge leather chairs fully recline-able, huge speakers everywhere that shook the entire theater . I'm talking shook to the point that it felt like one of those movie rides at a theme park. Made the entire experience immersive as hell.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Instant classic for me.

I'm not sure its better than Get Out, but I have more desire to rewatch this in a few months or a year because its so packed with interesting details and symbolism. The story also appeals as a comedy and a gore flick. Peele is at the start of a very interesting career and hes already throwing out auteur level shyt.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Spent most of the movie on the edge of my seat and was VERY disappointed with the ending.
Left the theater with a few questions that YouTube cleared up quickly.
In retrospect, I feel like too much time was spent on building moments of tension and too little time was spent developing and resolving the major plot twist.
You could argue that the entire movie was a build up to the twist and that alone should be sufficient, but to me, I wanted way more questions answered and felt they had plenty of time to do so if they trimmed some of the fat.
Lupita steals the show hands down. I can't say enough about how incredible her performance was.
Cinematography wise, the movie was a blast to watch. The lighting, the camera framing, everything was like a masterclass in how a movie should be filmed and edited.
I want to see it again but not necessarily enough to buy another movie ticket.

Sidenote: Dolby Digital is the freakin standard for me from now on.
I didn't even realize this even existed. Huge leather chairs fully recline-able, huge speakers everywhere that shook the entire theater . I'm talking shook to the point that it felt like one of those movie rides at a theme park. Made the entire experience immersive as hell.

I've been on the Dolby Cinema wave for a few years now. To the point where I legit get a little annoyed if I can't find a Dolby showtime I like for a movie I want to see.

When you hear people go on and on about the "magic" of movies, and how immersive they can be, this is a recreation of that. I really can't think of a better way to go see a movie these days.

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I've been on the Dolby Cinema wave for a few years now. To the point where I legit get a little annoyed.ifni can't find a Dolby showtime I like for a movie I want to see.

When you hear people go on and on about the "magic" of movies, and how immersive they can be, this is a recreation of that. I really can't think of a better way to go see a movie these days.
100%
I'm HUGE on audio and Dolby really did change the way I experience movies.
I actually saw Dumbo with the family over the weekend and while that movie was straight trash, the audio kept me interested enough not to walk out of the theater.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
100%
I'm HUGE on audio and Dolby really did change the way I experience movies.
I actually saw Dumbo with the family over the weekend and while that movie was straight trash, the audio kept me interested enough not to walk out of the theater.

Dumbo was that bad huh?

Wasn't really interested in seeing this live action remake regardless, but damn. I saw it underperformed too.

Is Tim Burton Washed? :patrice:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Dumbo was that bad huh?

Wasn't really interested in seeing this live action remake regardless, but damn. I saw it underperformed too.

Is Tim Burton Washed? :patrice:
CGI was grossly overused. Off rip the entire movie looked phony as hell. Might as well have been a cartoon. Only decent actor was Danny Devito. I think some kids might like it because they made Dumbo cute in a child like way but honestly, the story was weak as hell and developed slow with no real climax point. Michael Keaton was a complete missed opportunity here too. I’m a fan of his but his character was too 2-dimensional for me.