“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
shyt just didn't make sense

Like the technical details of supplies and logistics. Reproduction.

That KILLS the movie for me

Do the doubles or whatever exist in your hometown then follow you to the vacation town?

If you take a.plane, do they just walk until they catch up? If you flew there, you'd be back home before the double even made it to the vacation spot

Anyway

I had a little fun with it as a zombie movie but I think this is

Gasp

A

2/5 mics for me

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Just saw it and enjoyed it. Wasn't scary at all but even as a suspense movie, I almost saw where it was headed but I wasn't sure on a few things.

The whole movie could be tied to Alice In Wonderland yes? The white rabbit, Red queen, alternate versions of themselves = through the looking glass? Even the Beach Boys queue I knew the attachment to Mason was incoming.

People seem a bit divided online. So are they reading too much into it and calling it bad or is just a good movie that requires a rewatch to catch everything? Saw some mention plot holes.
Like honestly it's not a hard movie to read, there's just a few unanswered questions but I see the plot holes now.

Like where did the tethered get the clothes from?
What was the plan after they took over, they just joined hands and then what?
Did Jason know who Adelaide was at the end?

Note: I haven't gone through the thread so maybe my questions been answered.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Just saw it and enjoyed it. Wasn't scary at all but even as a suspense movie, I almost saw where it was headed but I wasn't sure on a few things.

The whole movie could be tied to Alice In Wonderland yes? The white rabbit, Red queen, alternate versions of themselves = through the looking glass? Even the Beach Boys queue I knew the attachment to Mason was incoming.

Like honestly it's not a hard movie to read, there's just a few unanswered questions but I see the plot holes now.

Like where did the tethered get the clothes from?
What was the plan after they took over, they just joined hands and then what?
Did Jason know who Adelaide was at the end?

Note: I haven't gone through the thread so maybe my questions been answered.
The clothes or scissors aren't explained. Definitely a plot hole but not a big deal IMO.

As far as the plan afterwards: The way I saw it, the plan was never to take over, but to expose the truth to the world which is why they held hands and stood still. One point that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it seems a tethered can only harm their counterpart. We saw proof of this by the multiple times tethered tried to hurt other people but couldn't. The white woman even tried but found herself stopping and hurt herself instead.

Yes Jason knew the truth, and was possibly a tethered himself since he was able to control his counterpart. The burns on who we believe to be his tethered might have come from him trying magic tricks with fire near his face over the years.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The clothes or scissors aren't explained. Definitely a plot hole but not a big deal IMO.

As far as the plan afterwards: The way I saw it, the plan was never to take over, but to expose the truth to the world which is why they held hands and stood still. One point that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that it seems a tethered can only harm their counterpart. We saw proof of this by the multiple times tethered tried to hurt other people but couldn't. The white woman even tried but found herself stopping and hurt herself instead.

Yes Jason knew the truth, and was possibly a tethered himself since he was able to control his counterpart. The burns on who we believe to be his tethered might have come from him trying magic tricks with fire near his face over the years.

Nah....

The black daughter's tether killed the dude that was yelling at her to get off his car.

The white chick tether (if it's the scene I think you're talking about) cut her face because the original got plastic surgery. She was trying to alter her appearance.

As far as the plan....there was no grand plan. The tethered's entire way of life was built around a t-shirt. With no context they seen Hands Across America as damn near a sign from God. It was what their savior Red was wearing, after all.

Which (IMO) was a jab at organized religion.

Fred.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto

I thought the same thing about the tethered not able to harm others until the daughter attacked the man but I still think that might be a reason Peggy Olson cut herself instead of Adelaide. I get it with the plastic surgery call back but I'mma stick with idea.
I saw the back and forth about Jason and I don't believe he's tethered, he's just weird which is a bit of a cop out but my nephew is weird too.

Question I forgot to ask, did Gabe kill off his tethered by mimicking an action? That death was odd to me cause it happened so quick.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Nah....

The black daughter's tether killed the dude that was yelling at her to get off his car.

The white chick tether (if it's the scene I think you're talking about) cut her face because the original got plastic surgery. She was trying to alter her appearance.

As far as the plan....there was no grand plan. The tethered's entire way of life was built around a t-shirt. With no context they seen Hands Across America as damn near a sign from God. It was what their savior Red was wearing, after all.

Which (IMO) was a jab at organized religion.

Fred.
Yeah that's a good point about the daughter. You're right about that.

Not sure I agree with the idea of the white lady cutting herself because her counterpart had plastic surgery but it's not a bad explanation. Now that I think of it...it could be possible the reason she didn't kill her was because she might have confused her for her leader, which as I type it makes perfect sense to me.

As far as not having a grand plan I disagree (although I see where you're going with that and it makes sense).
To me, Red's goal was revenge, taking back the life that was stolen from her, and to tear down the system by exposing it. I feel like when she was asked "who are you" and she replied "Americans" it alluded to her goal of the tethered being treated as human, and to do that, the tethered would have to be exposed to the world. This is why I think they just held hands. As a child she saw how powerful the holding hands across America image was and wanted to use that same image to draw attention to their cause.

The amount of uncertainty in this movie is what keeps me from regarding it as one of the greats. I was thinking the other day about the plot twist in Fight Club and how they handled that much better than it was handled in Us. To me, Fight Club did a great job of taking you on a journey, completely punching you in the face with a huge twist, and then closing all the important plot holes within the final moments of the movie. On the other hand, it's great that this movie has sparked so much discussion and it's fun seeing each person's interpretations, but for me, I prefer things to be more clear in the end.

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I thought the same thing about the tethered not able to harm others until the daughter attacked the man but I still think that might be a reason Peggy Olson cut herself instead of Adelaide. I get it with the plastic surgery call back but I'mma stick with idea.
I saw the back and forth about Jason and I don't believe he's tethered, he's just weird which is a bit of a cop out but my nephew is weird too.

Question I forgot to ask, did Gabe kill off his tethered by mimicking an action? That death was odd to me cause it happened so quick.
Like I mentioned above this post, now that I think about it, the reason Peggy didn't kill Adelaide was because she confused her for Red (the leader of the tethered revolution). At least that's what I'm rolling with for now. We could take the theory another direction and question what the plan was underground. Did Red possibly convince all of the tethered to go out and kill their counterparts and then instructed them to meet and hold hands afterwards? It would seem that was her plan with her actual family at least. Maybe her daughter was just harder to control, or just preserving her own life?

As far as Gabe, didn't he just headbutt him and knock him back? I don't remember at the moment.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah that's a good point about the daughter. You're right about that.

Not sure I agree with the idea of the white lady cutting herself because her counterpart had plastic surgery but it's not a bad explanation. Now that I think of it...it could be possible the reason she didn't kill her was because she might have confused her for her leader, which as I type it makes perfect sense to me.

As far as not having a grand plan I disagree (although I see where you're going with that and it makes sense).
To me, Red's goal was revenge, taking back the life that was stolen from her, and to tear down the system by exposing it. I feel like when she was asked "who are you" and she replied "Americans" it alluded to her goal of the tethered being treated as human, and to do that, the tethered would have to be exposed to the world. This is why I think they just held hands. As a child she saw how powerful the holding hands across America image was and wanted to use that same image to draw attention to their cause.

The amount of uncertainty in this movie is what keeps me from regarding it as one of the greats. I was thinking the other day about the plot twist in Fight Club and how they handled that much better than it was handled in Us. To me, Fight Club did a great job of taking you on a journey, completely punching you in the face with a huge twist, and then closing all the important plot holes within the final moments of the movie. On the other hand, it's great that this movie has sparked so much discussion and it's fun seeing each person's interpretations, but for me, I prefer things to be more clear in the end.

As far as the plastic surgery....if that's not the case then it makes her mentioning "I plastic surgery" kinda random.

As far as their grand scheme....I don't disagree with what you're saying but when I say "they had no grand scheme, it was just holding hands due to the t-shirt"....I mean they wasn't trying to overthrow the government or take over the world. Them holding hands was the grand scheme. Now, their ideology is open to interpretation (and your interpretation is probably right) but for a decent chunk of the thread people were talking about "they killed all the military and took over the world!"....and I'm kinda just like
YH84LUO.png
because there's nothing to indicate that. Of that they'd even be interested in something like that. I misunderstood what you meant in your original post though.

As far as them not explaining enough....normally I'd agree but horror is pretty much the only genre that is actually augmented by offering less information. A good portion of the greatest horror movies in history didn't explain everything. Some explained very little. That approach can kinda work for psychological thrillers....but the farther you get away from horror, the less forgiving people are.

Fred.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
As far as the plastic surgery....if that's not the case then it makes her mentioning "I plastic surgery" kinda random.

As far as their grand scheme....I don't disagree with what you're saying but when I say "they had no grand scheme, it was just holding hands due to the t-shirt"....I mean they wasn't trying to overthrow the government or take over the world. Them holding hands was the grand scheme. Now, their ideology is open to interpretation (and your interpretation is probably right) but for a decent chunk of the thread people were talking about "they killed all the military and took over the world!"....and I'm kinda just like
YH84LUO.png
because there's nothing to indicate that. Of that they'd even be interested in something like that.

As far as them not explaining enough....normally I'd agree but horror is pretty much the only genre that is actually augmented by offering less information. A good portion of the greatest horror movies in history didn't explain everything. Some explained very little. That approach can kinda work for psychological thrillers....but the farther you get away from horror, the less forgiving people are.

Fred.
No doubt.

I don't know why anyone would assume the tethered took over anything. :pachaha:
It looked to me like they we clearly tasked with clearing out one small part of town and then making a demonstration while waiting indefinitely to be noticed.
Red was able to command her family with ease, and was the only person among the tethered that could speak and think on a semi-rational level given her trauma. No reason to think she wasn't controlling/influencing all of the tethered underground.

Maybe part of what threw me off about this movie is that I had no idea it was essentially going to be a sci-fi movie. Even in the theater, the entire time I was expecting this to be more along the lines of a Shutter Island, The Shining, or Sucker Punch type of movie where one or all of the characters were losing their minds. When that plot twist hit, I was blind sided so hard and had so many questions that left me more with a sense of disappointment and confusion instead of curiosity and astonishment.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No doubt.

I don't know why anyone would assume the tethered took over anything. :pachaha:
It looked to me like they we clearly tasked with clearing out one small part of town and then making a demonstration while waiting indefinitely to be noticed.
Red was able to command her family with ease, and was the only person among the tethered that could speak and think on a semi-rational level given her trauma. No reason to think she wasn't controlling/influencing all of the tethered underground.

Maybe part of what threw me off about this movie is that I had no idea it was essentially going to be a sci-fi movie. Even in the theater, the entire time I was expecting this to be more along the lines of a Shutter Island, The Shining, or Sucker Punch type of movie where one or all of the characters were losing their minds. When that plot twist hit, I was blind sided so hard and had so many questions that left me more with a sense of disappointment and confusion instead of curiosity and astonishment.

Well, the thing about horror is it can encompass any other genre. "Alien" is sci-fi and horror. "They Live" is action and horror. "Shaun Of The Dead" is comedy and horror.

That's not even including sub-genres that overlap with horror, like psychological thrillers. And then you also have horror movies with social commentary, like "Us" or Romero's "Living Dead" movies.

So when I go into a horror movie I just take it for what it is, because honestly it can be anything.

Fred.

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I saw it a 3rd time yesterday:
Forgot to mention a connection: Red & Chris spent a lot of time watching tv as kids...

-And the tunnels mentioned at the start of the movie are rabbit holes that connected the under ground people.

-I think the under ground people were like the Id of everyone (Id, ego, super ego) because they were like cavemen.

-The basement is also where the main character had the big battle... maybe I’m reaching for the basement with Get Out & in Us but the basement leads to a great deal with the plot.
-Jason also referred to underground family in the yard as the boogie mans family. I also think the sons were somehow switched...