“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
He's also alternately referred to "Us" as horror and/or a social thriller depending on the interview:

Jordan Peele Has A Whole Series Of Horror Films Planned After 'Get Out'

That's why I said stop reading so much into these completely meaningless buzz words. They're for new age critics/fans not accustomed to social commentary in horror movies.

And hell....look at the definition of "social thriller":

Social thriller - Wikipedia

Again, splitting hairs over how much horror that is, is an exercise in futility.

Fred.

It may be too early Any theories of your own about what Jordan's "DAMN" could be if Get Out was GKMC and US was TPAB?

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

I still can't believe this guy gave us two critically acclaimed amazing films in a row :mjlol:

I can..... and I’m glad I can say I been rocking with him for a minute now.

Was a fan of the Key & Peele shoe when mad cats was shytting on him, calling him half cac and other fukked up shyt.

I’m happy to see how successful him and Key have become

Martha

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Just saw it this afternoon. I don't like the way the husband/father was portrayed. :francis: A friend warned me that I would be disappointed about him and told me to see it for myself. They were right. :francis: Overall the movie was decent but that shyt bothered me the whole movie.

Peep that interview when you get a chance. Winston Duke touches on that

Martha

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It may be too early Any theories of your own about what Jordan's "DAMN" could be if Get Out was GKMC and US was TPAB?

Yeah, too early. Depends on what his next movie is, and what the concept is.
Also keep in mind he's doing the reboot of "The Twilight Zone". So that might fit your analogy. :ohhh:

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You couldn’t tell within the first ten minutes she was a tethered? :dwillhuh: shyt was maaaaaaad predictable

People were calling it when the first trailer dropped back on Christmas.

It's the internet....unless you're completely unplugged from internet discussions and/or social media you're going to see a few guesses that happen to be right.

Fred.

Yaddam Yussein

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
People were calling it when the first trailer dropped back on Christmas.

It's the internet....unless you're completely unplugged from internet discussions and/or social media you're going to see a few guesses that happen to be right.

Fred.
Like I said in my review, people in my theatre say they hated it, the reason for most of them saying that was because of the reveal (which a lot of them didn’t even expect) along with some plot holes.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just saw it this afternoon. I don't like the way the husband/father was portrayed. :francis: A friend warned me that I would be disappointed about him and told me to see it for myself. They were right. :francis: Overall the movie was decent but that shyt bothered me the whole movie.

Being that it's a reflection of everything that is America... that's the reflection of how society is viewing black men. It's not at all accidental. There's no true noble character in this picture with the exception of Red. You wasn't SUPPOSE to like Gabe. He's an emasculated black man lusting for the privileges that the white man has. Listen to the things he say and the envious he has with his husband of the Tyler family who are consumed with white privilege.

Daps
Reppin
Miami Beach, the 305
just got out of this and I didn't really like it.

The performances were good but the writing was predictable. I predicted the switch shyt immediately

Ppl keep thinking that switch being predictable prevents this from being more, like that was all there was to it. That switch isn’t even the biggest “ah ha” moment IMO. once u break down what Peele was trying to say with the story.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Great movie
One thing I got and stuck with me is we area product of our environment for the most part and it starts as a child.

Stone Cold

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No not at all. The movie is an allegory to what the United States is in its totality. It is not meant to be taken literally, but only to be interpreted in reflection to how this nation as a whole really is. So, no it is not how they logistically executed this or that move, but rather imagine Babylon (America) one day falls and the people who were oppressed, disenfranchised, and underprivileged happens to take over. The United States is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. It is idealistic and sadistic. You think about Hands Across America and it's purpose was to bring attention about the homeless and those struggling in poverty, yet it is that privileged society that created that environment. It is yin and yang. It's not supposed to be viewed literally but like how you view dreams or nightmares. You recall what happens, you cannot make total logic behind the details, but you know there's deeper meanings to what you dreamed about.

So, asking about the military is irrelevant to the broader point which is an mentally and technically physically enslaved nation took reign and killed off their oppressors who happen to be a reflection of themselves. So, therefore, if you're brain is incarcerated, if you are in mental enslavement, if you are your own worse enemy and holding not just your self but your people back. If we are killing ourselves to liberate ourselves on some destroy and rebuild and improve mindset. Then this is what this film is truly about. Not meant to viewed from a literal sense.
:Mjhigh2:

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
.I fell asleep within the first 10 mins

:dwillhuh: I'll never understand people like this. You paid all that money, went to it on opening weekend, to fall asleep? :mjlol:

Actually all the musical choices were brilliant with a slight exception of "I Got Five On It" to which Jordan Peele claimed he like the instrumental, but if he really thought about it, he should of blended the Club Nouveau original joint with the Luniz to suggest how the Luniz's version is the tethered of the original (and who knows, maybe he did have that in mind).

For instance, and this is hint of how "Us" and "Get Out" are thematically in the same universe despite not literally. Both films start with a haunting musical opening with a wicked spiritual African vibe going then transfer immediately to a smooth R&B song with a leaning to the general premise. With this film, the Janelle Monae's "I like that" had leanings to talking about duality when is symbolized throughout the movie.

The MOST appropriate song, however, was "fukk the Police". Not only because it was used hilariously, but keep in mind that the verse Jeremiah 11:11 speak that even when you cry out for help, nobody is going to save you. That include calling for the police. The mother pleading to call for the police and the response is "fukk the police". And the song plays throughout with poignant parts that exactly fit such as the scene where the Wilson kids first seen the dead bodies and right on cue the song say, "MC Ren, will you please give your testimony to the jury about this fukked-up incident?"

Plus, using NWA was necessary as we understood why the emergence of NWA was so important. The were one of the first rap groups that profoundly reported the reality of the urban neighborhoods and the struggles existing in that type of environment while privileged white America pretend that it didn't exist. Being that US is in large part an acknowledgement of the disenfranchised and underprivileged rebelling against those of privilege which was exactly the voice of NWA was all about.

I've been thinking and I think Goodie Mob's "Cell Therapy" would have been a better song choice than I Got 5 On It. It would have been cool to see how they freaked the haunting piano. Along with the "who's that peepin in my window?" lyrics

Did he call it a “psychological thriller” or the nerds online breaking it down to pieces and questioning why Gabe’s socks are blue and one scene and black in the next?

Just because you have ideas of what you want it to be doesn’t mean it’s right to rip it apart for not being what you wanted.

Cmon bruh. You're conflating two things for no reason. Like I told my fam outside the theater, we suspend our disbelief for Marvel movies because no one is trying to make them out to be deep. It's just fun entertainment. With movies like US, if you're going to analyze every single scene and point out how genius it is, you have to go over the inaccuracies with a fine toothed comb as well. My nikka @GoldenGlove explained it perfectly.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I can't stand airheaded humans. They took the fun out of this movie acting like they have to overthink it as if the movie was some serious bore.