“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm supposed to believe them nikkas bodied our whole armed forces overnight with scissors

No not at all. The movie is an allegory to what the United States is in its totality. It is not meant to be taken literally, but only to be interpreted in reflection to how this nation as a whole really is. So, no it is not how they logistically executed this or that move, but rather imagine Babylon (America) one day falls and the people who were oppressed, disenfranchised, and underprivileged happens to take over. The United States is both beautiful and ugly at the same time. It is idealistic and sadistic. You think about Hands Across America and it's purpose was to bring attention about the homeless and those struggling in poverty, yet it is that privileged society that created that environment. It is yin and yang. It's not supposed to be viewed literally but like how you view dreams or nightmares. You recall what happens, you cannot make total logic behind the details, but you know there's deeper meanings to what you dreamed about.

So, asking about the military is irrelevant to the broader point which is an mentally and technically physically enslaved nation took reign and killed off their oppressors who happen to be a reflection of themselves. So, therefore, if you're brain is incarcerated, if you are in mental enslavement, if you are your own worse enemy and holding not just your self but your people back. If we are killing ourselves to liberate ourselves on some destroy and rebuild and improve mindset. Then this is what this film is truly about. Not meant to viewed from a literal sense.

Daps
Saw this last Saturday. I like this movie but was hugely underwhelmed by it. Guess I was expecting more. Lupita did a fantastic job as usual. I think Peele needs a bit more experience directing children, there were a few moments where they came off stiff but overall did a good job (especially the girl).

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
so just a thought while watching this. Dude pointed out how Adelaide was a great dancer until 14, right?

Isn't one of the key indicators of Adelaide being a tether the fact that she was snapping off beat?

Her friend was even saying how great a dancer she was and Adelaide was acting like something happened that made her stop dancing. Within the context of the movie, the natural conclusion would be that she stopped dancing because of the switch, but that's obviously not the case, because she was switched at much younger and became a great dancer as a tether as a means of managing the "trauma". Obviously rhythm at that point isn't or wouldn't logically be a factor at that point, so what changed?

Red down below on the other hand, the real Adelaide, was terrible at dancing but loved it and by the end of the movie was dancing/faster that fake Adelaide and the implication is that it's because she's the real human and has a soul - so again, what changed? Is it simply because fake Adelaide stopped and the real one kept going?

I was talking to my lady about it and she brought up a good point about the parallels between Adelaide and her daughter running track. How it's a normal teenage thing to just stop a sport or dance or whatever and that the daughter was used in a way to represent or explain away why fake Adelaide stopped dancing, as I don't recall that being discussed during that final Red/Adelaide confrontation. And that while Adelaide did the "normal" teenage thing and stopped dancing, which represented the continued lack of appreciation for what those above have, Red kept dancing because she saw God in it, loved it, got the adulation for it from the other Tethers that Adelaide didn't appreciate from above and thats how she got better.

I feel like I'm rambling, but does that make sense? I'd like to think that was the intention, to offer continued commentary on how we don't appreciate the gifts that we have and also added commentary on how the mindless, soulless just prop up entertainers (Red's dancing) but it still doesn't explain away how/why the snapping was used as a device to reflect Adelaide's lack of soul.
Wayment... so now we're saying the tethered folks could move independently? Otherwise, I'm not sure how one girl stopped dancing and the other didn't. Low key that's the biggest plot hole for me. They gotta explain if these nikkas could move independent or not.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Y’all must have a lot of free time if y’all dissecting every movie y’all go see down to this level.

Why didn’t they call CPS on Kevin’s family? :stopitslime:

I’m supposed to believe a brick coming from the top floor ain’t gonna kill a nikka? Or atleast have him in the hospital :stopitslime:

They didn’t elaborate at all on how this family is paying for that big ass house, I know we supposed to suspend belief but come on :stopitslime:
Compare a holiday comedy to a psychological thriller brehs

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Compare a holiday comedy to a psychological thriller brehs
Did he call it a “psychological thriller” or the nerds online breaking it down to pieces and questioning why Gabe’s socks are blue and one scene and black in the next?

Just because you have ideas of what you want it to be doesn’t mean it’s right to rip it apart for not being what you wanted.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
:mjlol:

Jordan is just making one big live action viral Key & Peele skit. Dude is laughing at y’all for overthinking this BS.

If this shyt was “the Strangers” yall nikkas would be breaking that BS down too lol

Bu but the guys Mask was made of a cloth that was shown flapping in the wind of the beginning credits. So that mean he a higher power:mjlol:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Did he call it a “psychological thriller” or the nerds online breaking it down to pieces and questioning why Gabe’s socks are blue and one scene and black in the next?

Just because you have ideas of what you want it to be doesn’t mean it’s right to rip it apart for not being what you wanted.
He called it a Horror Film, yet 'nerds' are breaking it down and defending it like it's a "psychological thriller". (which my post that you quoted goes into detail on why that alone has caused people's opinions on this film to be all over the place)

What other Horror Films have gotten this treatment? Instead of people just chalking up some of the story's inconsistencies as typical horror movie shyt they essentially clinging on to anything to validate it or worse, just making assumptions based off of minimal information given in the actual film.

I don't have ideas on what I want it to be, I consumed the content, formed my opinion and stated it. I already said that I wasn't tripping over a lot of the details that people have brought up because PEELE came out and said the movie was a horror film, and horror films typically are a lot looser in terms of everything logically making sense.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wayment... so now we're saying the tethered folks could move independently? Otherwise, I'm not sure how one girl stopped dancing and the other didn't. Low key that's the biggest plot hole for me. They gotta explain if these nikkas could move independent or not.

You pretty much need to stop looking at the Tethered and the original selves as separate entities. They are one and the same. The movie is allegorical which means it's not to be taken literally. It's like with you and your own shadow. Everything you do, the shadow that you do does as well but the shadow's appearance is distorted. So, metaphorically, everything that Tethered which is the original self's shadow does is distorted.

This allegory between the Tethered and the original self is two-fold. At one end, it speaks on how our society lacks true free will. Like we are told to behave and think and react rather than doing it independently. And it's based from how our government, the media, and our own environment molded us to conform. It's mental enslavement. So, many of us in society are controlled without realizing it and are oppressed. At the same time, the movie suggest that those of privilege are really "free" themselves. This is why you have someone like Gabe yearning to have what the Tyler family have and how the wife of the Tyler family is ashamed of her features and you have flawed characters in general. But like with our society currently, all the actions that anyone does have an negative effect to those who are living through oppression. Our American system is parasitic where both is leeching off the other. The Tethered and the original self IS ONE AND THE SAME. The message is in order to kill your enslaved self so you can be truly be liberated.

However, if we were to go by rule which is the original self supposedly is able to control the tethered. Red, which was the original self, with her dance moves was able to control the fight vs Adelaide, the Tethered. That was why Adelaide struggled until she was able to outsmart her.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He called it a Horror Film, yet 'nerds' are breaking it down and defending it like it's a "psychological thriller". (which my post that you quoted goes into detail on why that alone has caused people's opinions on this film to be all over the place)

What other Horror Films have gotten this treatment? Instead of people just chalking up some of the story's inconsistencies as typical horror movie shyt they essentially clinging on to anything to validate it or worse, just making assumptions based off of minimal information given in the actual film.

I don't have ideas on what I want it to be, I consumed the content, formed my opinion and stated it. I already said that I wasn't tripping over a lot of the details that people have brought up because PEELE came out and said the movie was a horror film, and horror films typically are a lot looser in terms of everything logically making sense.
Word? Several times in here you’ve been postulating all over the place. That’s cool if you want, I just want to know if that same energy is going into every other film.

It’s only entertainment, we don’t know to be told if they got the scissors off amazon.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I don't follow you at all here.

People are breaking it down like it's a horror movie with social commentary. I don't know how that shifts it to "psychological thriller" territory. There's a thread on the first page of The Film Room asking for "horror movies like 'Get Out' and 'Us'", IE horror movies with social commentary....with literally dozens of examples. Most of which "got the same treatment" as "Us".

Matter of fact, some are even more loose (in terms of plot holes and/or over all logic) than "Us".

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm supposed to believe them nikkas bodied our whole armed forces overnight with scissors

:gucci:

Fam what would make you think that?

It happened over 1-2 days and probably thousands of people died....but I never even entertained the thought that the tethered took over the U.S. or even a single state. I don't remember seeing anything in the movie that would suggest that, either.

Fred.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Word? Several times in here you’ve been postulating all over the place. That’s cool if you want, I just want to know if that same energy is going into every other film.

It’s only entertainment, we don’t know to be told if they got the scissors off amazon.
I'm not even shytting on this film at all, nor do I need every detail explained in a movie like this. I've already said it's a horror movie with an identity crisis, and that's fine because it's generated a healthy discussion overall.