Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:gucci:

Fam what would make you think that?

It happened over 1-2 days and probably thousands of people died....but I never even entertained the thought that the tethered took over the U.S. or even a single state. I don't remember seeing anything in the movie that would suggest that, either.

Fred.
Them holding hands into the distance didn't give it away? The national guard would of been all over that

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Them holding hands into the distance didn't give it away? The national guard would of been all over that

Breh the movie took place over 1-2 days.

The tethered join hands after they kill their "normal" copies. Which is why the homeless guy was standing there in the beginning. The guy holding the Jeremiah sign was the first to die.

So yeah, hundreds if not thousands of them were holding hands but we're talking about, at most 2 days later. The news reports you see basically says "nobody knows what's going on". So nah, I never thought they took over the government or killed the military. I thought they killed a few thousand people then formed a chain. You see the helicopters at the end, the military showing up was probably next. I don't remember seeing anything in the movie that would suggest a military presence showed up prior to that....all we seen was cop cars and ambulances. Meaning nobody outside of the local law enforcement had tried to stop it, yet.

Fred.

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't follow you at all here.

People are breaking it down like it's a horror movie with social commentary. I don't know how that shifts it to "psychological thriller" territory. There's a thread on the first page of The Film Room asking for "horror movies like 'Get Out' and 'Us'", IE horror movies with social commentary....with literally dozens of examples. Most of which "got the same treatment" as "Us".

Matter of fact, some are even more loose (in terms of plot holes and/or over all logic) than "Us".

Fred.
Get Out wasn't a horror movie, Peele's confirmed this multiple times.

"Peele, ever-playful, got in on the joke: “‘Get Out’ is a documentary,” he tweeted, later repeating the joke to Stephen Colbert on The Late Show.

Which isn’t to say that Peele didn’t take the question seriously. “The label of comedy is often a trivial thing,” he told IndieWire in a more sober interview. “The real question is, what are you laughing at? Are you laughing at the horror, the suffering?”

This response somewhat downplays the extent to which Get Out was beset with genre confusion from its inception, long before the Golden Globes had their say. Peele said in that same interview that he originally set out to make a horror movie, but that after showing his film to people, he decided it was “a social thriller” instead. This term, and the label of “elevated horror,” became the phrases that have trailed the film in the press ever since its release."

Jordan Peele’s Us Is Just a Horror Movie, and That’s a Good Thing

With US, he wanted to avoid any confusion and proclaimed early on that the movie was a horror film. So now, if we're talking about the movie as a horror film with social commentary how does it fair? I'd say "social thriller" fits for Us more than "horror" because the film's discussion and highlights aren't remotely close to the "horror" aspect of the film it at all. It's all about the underlying themes and messaging that people are talking about.

He made another social thriller that was weakened a bit by the horror elements tossed in the film, and that's been my point since I started posting in this thread.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Get Out wasn't a horror movie, Peele's confirmed this multiple times.

"Peele, ever-playful, got in on the joke: “‘Get Out’ is a documentary,” he tweeted, later repeating the joke to Stephen Colbert on The Late Show.

Which isn’t to say that Peele didn’t take the question seriously. “The label of comedy is often a trivial thing,” he told IndieWire in a more sober interview. “The real question is, what are you laughing at? Are you laughing at the horror, the suffering?”

This response somewhat downplays the extent to which Get Out was beset with genre confusion from its inception, long before the Golden Globes had their say. Peele said in that same interview that he originally set out to make a horror movie, but that after showing his film to people, he decided it was “a social thriller” instead. This term, and the label of “elevated horror,” became the phrases that have trailed the film in the press ever since its release."

Jordan Peele’s Us Is Just a Horror Movie, and That’s a Good Thing

With US, he wanted to avoid any confusion and proclaimed early on that the movie was a horror film. So now, if we're talking about the movie as a horror film with social commentary how does it fair? I'd say "social thriller" fits for Us more than "horror" because the film's discussion and highlights aren't remotely close to the "horror" aspect of the film it at all. It's all about the underlying themes and messaging that people are talking about.

He made another social thriller that was weakened a bit by the horror elements tossed in the film, and that's been my point since I started posting in this thread.

Jordan Peele has since cleared up what he meant about "Get Out":

Jordan Peele’s All-American Nightmares – Rolling Stone

Peele says, “I’m such a horror nut that the genre confusion of Get Out broke my heart a little. I set out to make a horror movie, and it’s kind of not a horror movie.” It is, instead, more of a sophisticated “social thriller” in the vein of The Stepford Wives or Rosemary’s Baby. “As a horror fan, I really wanted to contribute something to that world.”

The "social thriller" tag came as a response to the genre confusion from people not familiar with social commentary in horror.

I mean....who in their right mind would argue "Rosemary's Baby" isn't horror? :dahell:

The problem with your argument is you're getting bogged down in the minutia of how this film would be classified if it was on a shelf in Blockbuster.

Was "They Live" scary? No. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it anything other than horror? No.

Was "Society" scary? No. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it anything other than horror? No.

Was "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" scary? Yes. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it more horror than the two movies above it? No.

So....no offense but I don't even get what you're arguing here. There's not a clear point where you add X amount of social commentary and suddenly it's not a horror movie.

Fred.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Jordan Peele has since cleared up what he meant about "Get Out":

Jordan Peele’s All-American Nightmares – Rolling Stone

The "social thriller" tag came as a response to the genre confusion from people not familiar with social commentary in horror.

I mean....who in their right mind would argue "Rosemary's Baby" isn't horror? :dahell:

The problem with your argument is you're getting bogged down in the minutia of how this film would be classified if it was on a shelf in Blockbuster.

Was "They Live" scary? No. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it anything other than horror? No.

Was "Society" scary? No. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it anything other than horror? No.

Was "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" scary? Yes. Was it full of social commentary? Yes. Does that make it more horror than the two movies above it? No.

So....no offense but I don't even get what you're arguing here. There's not a clear point where you add X amount of social commentary and suddenly it's not a horror movie.

Fred.
No offense taken.
You just provided a quote to prove your point, where the guy that made the movie says the movie isn't a horror movie. So really what are we arguing about at this point?

"I set out to make a horror movie, and it’s kind of not a horror movie.” It is, instead, more of a sophisticated “social thriller..."

I mean... what more needs to be said. And that's why he clearly has stated what he deemed US as to avoid this confusion this time around.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
No offense taken.
You just provided a quote to prove your point, where the guy that made the movie says the movie isn't a horror movie. So really what are we arguing about at this point?

"I set out to make a horror movie, and it’s kind of not a horror movie.” It is, instead, more of a sophisticated “social thriller..."

I mean... what more needs to be said. And that's why he clearly has stated what he deemed US as to avoid this confusion this time around.

He's also alternately referred to "Us" as horror and/or a social thriller depending on the interview:

Jordan Peele Has A Whole Series Of Horror Films Planned After 'Get Out'

“I have four other social thrillers that I want to unveil in the next decade…The best and scariest monsters in the world are human beings and what we are capable of especially when we get together,” Peele said. “I’ve been working on these premises about these different social demons, these innately human monsters that are woven into the fabric of how we think and how we interact, and each one of my movies is going to be about a different one of these social demons.”

That's why I said stop reading so much into these completely meaningless buzz words. They're for new age critics/fans not accustomed to social commentary in horror movies.

And hell....look at the definition of "social thriller":

Social thriller - Wikipedia

A social thriller is a film genre using elements of suspense and horror to augment instances of oppression in society.

Again, splitting hairs over how much horror that is, is an exercise in futility.

Fred.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw Tariq Nasheed/Yvette Cornell/Professor Griff breakdown of the film.....who else has a quality breakdown?

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Just saw it this afternoon. I don't like the way the husband/father was portrayed. :francis: A friend warned me that I would be disappointed about him and told me to see it for myself. They were right. :francis: Overall the movie was decent but that shyt bothered me the whole movie.