“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I saw someone answer the question on my timeline on why Adel couldn't speak after the initial beach incident by saying her vocal cords were damaged

:dwillhuh:

I must of missed that disclosure along the way

According to Lupita Nyong'o she has spasmodic dysphonia.

Given what happened to her character, that actually does make sense.

Fred.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
I saw someone answer the question on my timeline on why Adel couldn't speak after the initial beach incident by saying her vocal cords were damaged

:dwillhuh:

I must of missed that disclosure along the way
When she chocked her she damaged her vocal cord.

She chocked her hard enough to be knocked out for minutes and to be dragged down stairs and chained to a bed without waking up

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Peele brings so much culture to the screen, he reminds me of Martin Scorsese. Like when Scorcese directs a flick you get that dose of Italian American culture - the food, the music, the people. Its that combination of cultural experience and filmmaking sensitivity. Like you get a heightened sensual ('of the senses') experience compared to other films.

I wouldn't call Us a classic, but Im comfortable saying Get Out is up there with some of the all time greats. If Pulp fiction is one of the greatest movies ever, why not Get Out?
Get out is one of da best movies of all time

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
It was good but it didn't give me those :banderas: and :wow: moments like Get Out.

Like y'all said above it does dumb horror shyt while also trying to be weighty and thematic. The best horror films don't mix the two. I couldn't take it seriously even though it wanted me to.

Petty Crocker

Looking GREAT in my 30s
Daps
Pluto (below) has to copy what Jason (above) does.
So when Jason attempts his magic trick with a lighter , Pluto does the same with a match.

However Jason is unsuccessful in sparking a light, which is shown throughout the movie.

Pluto on the other hand is successful in using a match and sparking a flame.
I believe thats how he got burned. He held a lit match too close to his face during one of Jason's attempts.

I dont believe they were switched at any point.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
According to Lupita Nyong'o she has spasmodic dysphonia.

Given what happened to her character, that actually does make sense.

Fred.

When she chocked her she damaged her vocal cord.

She chocked her hard enough to be knocked out for minutes and to be dragged down stairs and chained to a bed without waking up
I mean... I get what yal saying but still
:patrice:

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yvette Carnell was being ridiculous and reaching for straws with her criticisms on the movie and Peele

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I feel like this movie has such a polarizing response because it kinda got caught in between being a typical horror movie and a cerebral thriller type of movie.

While watching the movie, you're hit with some horror movie genre characteristics that don't align with movies that are deemed "cerebral" or deep. You have the corny comedic relief throughout the movie, you have Gabe acting like the stereotypical "white woman" who trips over his own feet when danger approaches... you have information about the story/plot omitted for whatever reason, for example:
  • Who was maintaining the facilities underground? I get it's more than likely a government experiment gone wrong, but if that's the case...where were their remains assuming they got overran by the tethers? Maybe the powers that be just watched and observed them... idk?
  • Where did their uniforms and scissors come from?
  • What determined how much control the hosts(?) had on their tethers movements/mimicking ability? The boys showed a 1 to 1 connection, but everyone else seemed like there was an alternate scenario, just thinking about how RED explained how everything that was done above ground was done to them on the underground just in some bootleg ass way
  • Why weren't there any guns in the movie? The name is a play on The United States... where gun issues are live and well, our shadows coming up from the depths of tunnels across America not catching any lead from anyone is a reach
Now in any other horror movie, you chalk up a lot of shyt like this to the game
:manny:

But in this movie, where people are online dropping analysis, think pieces, and theories to all aspects of this film, it's confusing for the discussion.

Are we holding this movie to the same standard as a mystery/thriller or are we holding it to the same standard as a horror flick? I feel that's where the disconnect is when evaluating this film. Some people want it both ways, calling this genius and saying how great it is, but then curbing valid questions about the story.

As a horror film (which Peele has vehemently said it is) it wasn't all that scary or tense IMO. The atmosphere of the film didn't really make me feel uncomfortable either.

And as a thriller or mystery, there's just a lot of information that has to be assumed or flat out made up by the viewers to put the pieces together.

Y’all must have a lot of free time if y’all dissecting every movie y’all go see down to this level.

Why didn’t they call CPS on Kevin’s family? :stopitslime:

I’m supposed to believe a brick coming from the top floor ain’t gonna kill a nikka? Or atleast have him in the hospital :stopitslime:

They didn’t elaborate at all on how this family is paying for that big ass house, I know we supposed to suspend belief but come on :stopitslime:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
I honestly don't think Jason and Pluto were switched. There's a pretty good theory that the younger you are, the more tethered you are. This is why in all of Jason and Pluto's scenes, there's varying degrees of mimicking whereas there isn't with the others. Also it would explain why younger Ade felt pulled to go in the funhouse while her tethered counterpart felt compelled to go upstairs and meet her.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I honestly don't think Jason and Pluto were switched. There's a pretty good theory that the younger you are, the more tethered you are. This is why in all of Jason and Pluto's scenes, there's varying degrees of mimicking whereas there isn't with the others. Also it would explain why younger Ade felt pulled to go in the funhouse while her tethered counterpart felt compelled to go upstairs and meet her.
Yeah it's just a case of people over-analyzing the film, if it didn't happen on the screen or in the dialogue, you can't just make it up....which is what people are doing when they say he got switched out in the closet at the home or he burned his face with the match underground lol....