“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
it's a plot hole. but imo the holes don't really take away from the movie

Yeah, that's why I said who gives a fukk?

He thought giving the movie an iconic look was more important than explaining it....I agree. :manny:

Like someone said how does Michael Myers know how to drive a car if he's been locked up all his life? Some shyt you just gotta let slide.

Fred.

m0rninggl0ry

All Star
Daps
I agreee with you. They Live was a very underrated film. I hope Hollywood doesn’t make a remake

After reading a lot of the posts, I'm just gonna not even try to discuss it here. Damn, I miss IMDB forums.

I'm just gonna say that some of y'all seem really young, or need to expand your horizons. Read more, and not just non-fiction and self help, but fiction, literature, the books they told you to read in school, that clearly, a lot of you didn't.

One poster really said he needs to make real black movies. WTF. But also, if you go into the movie, ready to dissect it, it's already lost you. This movie is just as much horror/comedy/social commentary as something as They Live. Did you go into They Live ready to dissect it?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I gotta go see this again.

I seen it in IMAX, it's a beautiful movie. Not that it's an "IMAX experience" type of movie but it was the only version showing when I wanted to go see it.

Fred.

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Naw doesn't add up with the boy IMO....he was too human too fast and the shadow Jason was too non-human to really be from the upper ground....articles I've read said the switch woulda happened within 12 months

Remember the family was saying he use to do the magic trick with ease, but during the car ride he couldn't do the trick at all

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I'm glad someone brought this up. At the very beginning of the movie I told my girl that the main character was NOT acting like a black kid. Going off on her own? :beli: THEN, later, the black family did not act like a black family. Splitting up, leaving characters by themselves, etc.

But the dialog should be rightfully criticized. That highest kill count line was cringeworthy. Some of the humor takes you out of the scariness of the scenes.
I feel like this movie has such a polarizing response because it kinda got caught in between being a typical horror movie and a cerebral thriller type of movie.

While watching the movie, you're hit with some horror movie genre characteristics that don't align with movies that are deemed "cerebral" or deep. You have the corny comedic relief throughout the movie, you have Gabe acting like the stereotypical "white woman" who trips over his own feet when danger approaches... you have information about the story/plot omitted for whatever reason, for example:
  • Who was maintaining the facilities underground? I get it's more than likely a government experiment gone wrong, but if that's the case...where were their remains assuming they got overran by the tethers? Maybe the powers that be just watched and observed them... idk?
  • Where did their uniforms and scissors come from?
  • What determined how much control the hosts(?) had on their tethers movements/mimicking ability? The boys showed a 1 to 1 connection, but everyone else seemed like there was an alternate scenario, just thinking about how RED explained how everything that was done above ground was done to them on the underground just in some bootleg ass way
  • Why weren't there any guns in the movie? The name is a play on The United States... where gun issues are live and well, our shadows coming up from the depths of tunnels across America not catching any lead from anyone is a reach
Now in any other horror movie, you chalk up a lot of shyt like this to the game
:manny:

But in this movie, where people are online dropping analysis, think pieces, and theories to all aspects of this film, it's confusing for the discussion.

Are we holding this movie to the same standard as a mystery/thriller or are we holding it to the same standard as a horror flick? I feel that's where the disconnect is when evaluating this film. Some people want it both ways, calling this genius and saying how great it is, but then curbing valid questions about the story.

As a horror film (which Peele has vehemently said it is) it wasn't all that scary or tense IMO. The atmosphere of the film didn't really make me feel uncomfortable either.

And as a thriller or mystery, there's just a lot of information that has to be assumed or flat out made up by the viewers to put the pieces together.

Last edited:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
They had to kill their higher-self which was corrupted by the world before they could unite everyone...

:banderas:
Which goes to show how unified the shadows were. On the surface (no pun intended), they were looked at as monsters, when in actuality, despite living in a tunnel community, they weren’t down their killing each other. They only looked to kill their surface counterparts so they could live the life they deserved on the surface.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like this movie has such a polarizing response because it kinda got caught in between being a typical horror movie and a cerebral thriller type of movie.

While watching the movie, you're hit with some horror movie genre characteristics that don't align with movies that are deemed "cerebral" or deep. You have the corny comedic relief throughout the movie, you have Gabe acting like the stereotypical "white woman" who trips over his own feet when danger approaches... you have information about the story/plot omitted for whatever reason, for example:
  • Who was maintaining the facilities underground? I get it's more than likely a government experiment gone wrong, but if that's the case...where were their remains assuming they got overran by the tethers? Maybe the powers that be just watched and observed them... idk?
  • Where did their uniforms and scissors come from?
  • What determined how much control the hosts(?) had on their tethers movements/mimicking ability? The boys showed a 1 to 1 connection, but everyone else seemed like there was an alternate scenario, just thinking about how RED explained how everything that was done above ground was done to them on the underground just in some bootleg ass way
  • Why weren't there any guns in the movie? The name is a play on The United States... where gun issues are live and well, our shadows coming up from the depths of tunnels across America not catching any lead from anyone is a reach
Now in any other horror movie, you chalk up a lot of shyt like this to the game
:manny:

But in this movie, where people are online dropping analysis, think pieces, and theories to all aspects of this film, it's confusing for the discussion.

Are we holding this movie to the same standard as a mystery/thriller or are we holding it to the same standard as a horror flick? I feel that's where the disconnect is when evaluating this film. Some people want it both ways, calling this genius and saying how great it is, but then curbing valid questions about the story.

As a horror film (which Peele has vehemently said it is) it wasn't all that scary or tense IMO. The atmosphere of the film didn't really make me feel uncomfortable either.

And as a thriller or mystery, there's just a lot of information that has to be assumed or flat out made up by the viewers to put the pieces together.

This is the best description I’ve found about how I feel about this movie and why i find it far from a masterpiece.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
There is a lot to admire about the movie, and whether I personally like it or not, these movies need to be made and seen. Not every "black" movie, (IE a black director, and leads) needs to be the defining movie of a generation. The acting, writing, some of the set pieces were very impressive, yet as a narrative, as a movie, after the set up, which was the strongest aspect of the movie (typical in horror movie) the movie was simply a chore to get through, a few exceptions notwithstanding. As far as the themes, and metaphors, I feel like I understood much of it, without diving into the think pieces and in depth dissections.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Peele pulling so much shyt out his ass when it comes to answering certain questions about the movie :mjlol:
I saw someone answer the question on my timeline on why Adel couldn't speak after the initial beach incident by saying her vocal cords were damaged

:dwillhuh:

I must of missed that disclosure along the way