“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
@NO-BadAzz

I spoiler tagged your post. No big deal but we still aren't sure how we're handing spoilers in these threads yet.

Anyway....

Nah, because the tethered version of Jason couldn't talk. Same as the rest of the tethered.

In his review Tariq Nasheed said the tethered Jason couldn't talk because he was traumatized from being burned....but that's a massive stretch and there's nothing to indicate that.

As far as #6 in particular, the tethered were created as an experiment to control the "real" people above ground. The experiment failed, which is why it was abandoned. When you see Red explaining what happened, you see the tethered mimicking what's going on in the real world....which is why Jason could control his copy. The experiment had the exact opposite effect of what was intended.

Fred.

I appreciate it.. my bad on that..

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
Do yall think....
the boy was switched?

I stated that the boy may have been switched from a few factors.

1. He was building a "tunnel" on the beach and the white chicks called him weird

2. He came back with that drawing, he was able to draw a picture of the whole situation

3. He started using cuss words and they were asking him in the car where did he get that language from

4. He couldn't start the lighter, but his shadow could

5. He was on beat in the car

6. He knew how to control his shadow by snapping his fingers

I think he was taught all these things by the "real" Red thus him knowing so much about what was going on.

I may be reaching
Reaching

Most boys that age could careless about dancing or rhythm and are weird

Keep in mind his mom is a tether .. if the bytch was too stupid enough to lift the table up to release herself .. u really think she would tell her sign the lighter didn’t have any lighter fluid in it ..

red knew Pluto got the fire shyt from somebody thats why she screamed don’t burn the house down .. red didn’t give a shyt .. but Jason’s mom jus let him play with a liighter

The closet scene gave away why he wasn’t switched he reacted just like a real kid would once he saw the face Pluto bein bunt .. also when the tethered white mom saw her og face .. she started cuttin her face

.. n once jason saw him n Pluto looked alike he did what any other kid would do .. mime routine he remembered that ..

Why would red be underground talkin about anus .. to a bunch of mutes? shyt I was sayin off the wall shyt when I was that nihgas age .. I was tellin all my homeboys women had 3 holes we pick up shyt out of nowhere ..

I got my ass whupped because I told my mom I don’t want my granny kissin on me because her Rottweiler champ useta lick his dikk n go lick her in the face

Goto the beach I wasn’t building sand castles I was tryin to dig a tunnel to China

Both were born to mothers who could speak walk and be human ..

If the they were switch the explain the daughter not bein switched

Red didn’t give a fukk about none of them kids or else should have taught them to be civilized n how to talk .. [\spoiler]

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
Reaching

Most boys that age could careless about dancing or rhythm and are weird

Keep in mind his mom is a tether .. if the bytch was too stupid enough to lift the table up to release herself .. u really think she would tell her sign the lighter didn’t have any lighter fluid in it ..

red knew Pluto got the fire shyt from somebody thats why she screamed don’t burn the house down .. red didn’t give a shyt .. but Jason’s mom jus let him play with a liighter

The closet scene gave away why he wasn’t switched he reacted just like a real kid would once he saw the face Pluto bein bunt .. also when the tethered white mom saw her og face .. she started cuttin her face

.. n once jason saw him n Pluto looked alike he did what any other kid would do .. mime routine he remembered that ..

Why would red be underground talkin about anus .. to a bunch of mutes? shyt I was sayin off the wall shyt when I was that nihgas age .. I was tellin all my homeboys women had 3 holes we pick up shyt out of nowhere ..

I got my ass whupped because I told my mom I don’t want my granny kissin on me because her Rottweiler champ useta lick his dikk n go lick her in the face

Goto the beach I wasn’t building sand castles I was tryin to dig a tunnel to China

Both were born to mothers who could speak walk and be human ..

If the they were switch the explain the daughter not bein switched

Red didn’t give a fukk about none of them kids or else should have taught them to be civilized n how to talk .. [\spoiler]
yea she hated them dumb ass kids cause they came from rape. You said the girl was a demon and looked at the lil boy as a dumbass pet

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
yea she hated them dumb ass kids cause they came from rape. You said the girl was a demon and looked at the lil boy as a dumbass pet
exactly the daughter was red best weapon she was fast ..outside of that it was fukk them kids

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Didn't really feel this movie.

Kinda boring. :manny:

Thought it could of been more than what it was given the talent of the actors.

The Lupita's "clone" voice was the highlight. That sh*t had me dying every time it talked. :mjlol:

Winston Duke played the means well but corny jokes dad role to a tee. :mjlol:

The kid actors were good.

The Daugher's clone's was :demonic: with her smile.

The son's clone no joke either.

When the white family's clones showed up and got rid of them with a quickness. :leon:

Last edited:

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps

The Lupita's "clone" voice was the highlight. That sh*t had me dying every time it talked. :mjlol:

When the white family's clones showed up and got rid of them with a quickness. :leon:
she called her son a monster.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Interesting Article from Vulture

What some view as a look of suspicion on Jason’s face, others read more as a look of recognition. The theory? Jason and his tethered double, Pluto, also swapped identities.

On Friday, Reddit user hoopsterben posted in /r/FanTheories: “I believe the summer before the movie takes place, the boy and his ‘tethered’ also switched places … At the end, he has realized that his mother, at one point, has also switched bodies. She gives him a look almost like ‘I also know what you know’ and then he puts on his mask, as a symbol of the masks they will now wear for the rest of their lives.”

View image on Twitter

DEE@eldiaesnuevo

7:59 PM - Mar 22, 2019

The Evidence
The werewolf mask: If we read Adelaide’s final conspiratorial grin through the lens of Thriller, then the following shot, of Jason redonning the werewolf mask, can be seen in the same light: a tell that he’s also a “monster.”

The tunnels: As a couple of people on Reddit have pointed out, when the family is at the beach, Jason isn’t building sand castles. He’s making sand tunnels, which — in addition to being a feat of sand-engineering — could link the character to the tethered’s subterranean home.

The closet: Jason likes to play by himself in the confined darkness of the closet. The Tyler twins think that’s weird, to which Zora responds: He has trouble focusing. This could all just mean he’s a troubled kid … But that’s what Adelaide’s parents thought about her, too.

The drawing: At home, Adelaide discovers a drawing made by Jason depicting his encounter with the tethered form of the Jeremiah 11:11 man — the man that Adelaide spotted on the beach before descending into the maze in ‘86, and whose original was being carted away in an ambulance when the family first arrived in Santa Cruz. The style of the drawing, featuring the backs of Jason’s and the Jeremiah 11:11 man’s heads, alarms Adelaide, because it takes on the same creepy perspective of Adelaide’s memory of encountering her mirror image.

However, it also hints that the somewhat reserved Jason, like his mother in the flashback at the child psychologist’s office, has been encouraged to draw to express himself. We later learn that this was the case for Adelaide because, after leaving the tethered underworld, she was still preverbal. The connection might hint at a similar situation for Jason and Pluto.

Mirroring: As has been pointed out on Reddit, Pluto is the only member of the tethered family who does not try to murder his double. In fact, when they’re sent to “play” together in the closet, they engage in a mirroring game, almost communicating through matching each other’s movements. (Kitty — who went to Stella Adler, after all — would be shook by the dramatic technique.) They appear to have a much closer bond than Zora or Gabe and their respective doubles, bringing them closer in our understanding to Red and Adelaide.

The rabbit: Redditor Verdyz has suggested that if the rabbits are meant to symbolize the tethered in any way — a connection we understand from the opening credits onward — then the rabbit in Jason’s lap at the end of the movie suggests that he, too, is an escaped tethered.

redditor CuriousPetie: “Everyone has been mentioning how Jason wears a tuxedo pajama top. In the friend’s house, he grabs a statue (reminding you of an Oscar). First, I thought this was Peele doing a self-insert, showing how he won an Oscar. Now, I interpret it as Peele showing us that Jason has been the best actor in this all along.”

“Kiss my anus!”: Kids say the darndest things … or the tethered mangle the darndest phrases?

The snapping: In an early scene, Jason has trouble snapping on the beat, and Adelaide “helps” him, although many have pointed out, in a Get Out–ishdetail, she herself is snapping closer to the first and third beats — an early sign that something isn’t quite right, and another hint at the characters’ special connection.

My Evidence
In addition to what’s been found on Reddit, I had to get in on the conspiracy. Here are some additional potential clues:

The Lost Boys: In the opening scene, young Adelaide’s mother notices that they’re filming something on the Santa Cruz boardwalk, which Jason Bailey pointed out to be the 1987 vampire film The Lost Boys. “Lost Boys,” you say? There are coincidences and then there are coincidences.

Jason Voorhees: Bailey noted Us’s many similarities to A Nightmare on Elm Street too, but there’s something to be said for the movie’s connections to Freddy Kruger’s one-time rival, the other patron slasher of the ‘80s and the youngest Wilson’s namesake, Jason. In the first Friday the 13th movie, the slasher is revealed to be Jason’s mother, Mrs. Voorhees, avenging her son’s death. In the many (many) sequels, Jason himself emerges from the murky depths to go on a killing spree, wearing a mask. The connection to this film’s Jason — who wears a mask and has close ties to his potentially nefarious mother — suggests something darker lurking beneath the surface.

Jaws: Jason wears a shirt emblazoned with the famous Jaws poster, which shows a monster hidden underneath an unsuspecting human.

The Verdict
Toward the end of the first act of Us, Adelaide confesses to Gabe that she’s scared, that since coming to Santa Cruz she’s noticed coincidences everywhere, enough to seem like they’re part of some larger scheme. Jordan Peele wants his viewers to be alert for clues and Easter eggs, to notice his deliberate planning. Whether this means these clues add up to Jason being a tethered, or Peele just wanting to sew paranoia, is up to you. As a friend who is firmly in the Pluto-is-Jason camp told me after seeing Us this weekend: “It’s Schrödinger’s rabbit.”

Last edited:

MikeBarnes

aka thejackroller, Jack Brannigan, Jack Birdbath
Daps
I wonder if Adelaide broke the magic trick so Jason's shadow wouldn't get burned. Also, walking him into the fire was a total heel move and Adelaide didn't look happy or relieved one bit about it.

Edit: Was that the second time she watched it? Also Jason would have experienced serious trauma. He might not have had the wherewithal to escape or even the idea to.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps

I don’t think Red wanted to really hurt her.