“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw this at the Drive In, so it made the movie seem extra spooky & dark.Like literally.The screen wasn't the best

quality.I fell asleep within the first 10 mins and woke up to Lupita Nyong'o standing in a living room, sounding like the

Exorcist.Talking about eating Rabbits raw & shyt.Fresh out my sleep, won't front, that shyt put a lil chill in me:merchant:.

That Exorcist voice always gets me.I was fully immersed by that point.Stayed up with eyes wide open the rest of

the movie.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Amazon. :manny:

All jokes aside, some stuff you just gotta over look. You can do this to damn near any movie, especially horror. Peele's point for all that seems to be creating an iconic look, and he achieved that. I don't think he cared about the logistics behind where it all came from. If he did he could've tossed in a line or two explaining it, same as he did with the tunnels in the beginning of the movie.

Fred.

Yeah what he said @FlyGuy

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I read an interesting theory that the same people behind this "tethered" science project also created the technology in "Get Out".

I doubt it'll ever be confirmed but it does kinda make sense. The problem with the creatures in "Us" is, they shared one soul with their above ground counterparts. In "Get Out" they were putting two minds (or, souls) in one body. Meaning they improved on the previous experiment.

If nothing else it's interested to think about. It would be kinda cool if this organization pops up in future Peele projects, though.

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I read an interesting theory that the same people behind this "tethered" science project also created the technology in "Get Out".

I doubt it'll ever be confirmed but it does kinda make sense. The problem with the creatures in "Us" is, they shared one soul with their above ground counterparts. In "Get Out" they were putting two minds (or, souls) in one body. Meaning they improved on the previous experiment.

If nothing else it's interested to think about. It would be kinda cool if this organization pops up in future Peele projects, though.

Fred.
I'm hoping whatever company that is pops up too. Since he is building a universe that would be a cool way to tie all of them together

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
The irony is most of us are all nostalgic for the horror flicks of the 80s, which all revolved around mystery and not telling you shyt
That's fire! It gets us talking. I'm too young to know what it was like when Halloween came out but I imagine people talked about more than what killing scene they liked more. There was probably debates about everything from his driving to being supernatural to his relation to Laurie to whatever. There were no answers so it was dope. Same with US. Left the theater more than satisfied and now I can't stop talking about it. I hate the audience sometimes. My cousin n sister hated Hereditary :snoop:

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
What I love is Peele films so far are more than a spectacle. They got substance and great character work. A lot of directors simply CANT do that.
Don't hate me everybody this is a personal view. Somebody like Nolan is a spectacle. Somebody like Spielberg at least in his day was spectacle and substance but timeless characters. I know Nolan got Batman and Joker but I mean people still remember Arnold Freeze. That's a built in advantage with Batman.
With Peele dude gets it. He doesn't waste his camera or writing so the shyt he left out is no doubt a smart move. Look how much we're talking about it. Even if you're in here arguing, you got a genuine feeling.

DosCadenaz

Superstar
Daps
so just a thought while watching this. Dude pointed out how Adelaide was a great dancer until 14, right?

Isn't one of the key indicators of Adelaide being a tether the fact that she was snapping off beat?

Her friend was even saying how great a dancer she was and Adelaide was acting like something happened that made her stop dancing. Within the context of the movie, the natural conclusion would be that she stopped dancing because of the switch, but that's obviously not the case, because she was switched at much younger and became a great dancer as a tether as a means of managing the "trauma". Obviously rhythm at that point isn't or wouldn't logically be a factor at that point, so what changed?

Red down below on the other hand, the real Adelaide, was terrible at dancing but loved it and by the end of the movie was dancing/faster that fake Adelaide and the implication is that it's because she's the real human and has a soul - so again, what changed? Is it simply because fake Adelaide stopped and the real one kept going?

I was talking to my lady about it and she brought up a good point about the parallels between Adelaide and her daughter running track. How it's a normal teenage thing to just stop a sport or dance or whatever and that the daughter was used in a way to represent or explain away why fake Adelaide stopped dancing, as I don't recall that being discussed during that final Red/Adelaide confrontation. And that while Adelaide did the "normal" teenage thing and stopped dancing, which represented the continued lack of appreciation for what those above have, Red kept dancing because she saw God in it, loved it, got the adulation for it from the other Tethers that Adelaide didn't appreciate from above and thats how she got better.

I feel like I'm rambling, but does that make sense? I'd like to think that was the intention, to offer continued commentary on how we don't appreciate the gifts that we have and also added commentary on how the mindless, soulless just prop up entertainers (Red's dancing) but it still doesn't explain away how/why the snapping was used as a device to reflect Adelaide's lack of soul.
Crazy. America eats its babies :wow: can corrupt our souls like a mutherfukker.

FlyGuy

pimp of the year
Daps
Reppin
tropicana
For clarification I thought someone was asking that question and I was clearing it up

As soon as I saw Red I figured she looked like Thriller cause of the kids shirt

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Side note, the musical choices in this movie are why we need diverse groups of people making movies. I'm white but I'm just being real here....most white directors, even if they're hip-hop fans, would never think to turn "I Got Five On It" into a horror anthem. Not to mention the "fukk The Police" scene. I see some people saying they didn't like that scene....I fukking loved it just based on how random it was. The Beach Boys shyt was cool prior to that....but a gang of horror movies use happy and/or upbeat songs in a creepy/scary way....but a gangsta rap song? It's damn near unheard of.

Fred.

Actually all the musical choices were brilliant with a slight exception of "I Got Five On It" to which Jordan Peele claimed he like the instrumental, but if he really thought about it, he should of blended the Club Nouveau original joint with the Luniz to suggest how the Luniz's version is the tethered of the original (and who knows, maybe he did have that in mind).

For instance, and this is hint of how "Us" and "Get Out" are thematically in the same universe despite not literally. Both films start with a haunting musical opening with a wicked spiritual African vibe going then transfer immediately to a smooth R&B song with a leaning to the general premise. With this film, the Janelle Monae's "I like that" had leanings to talking about duality when is symbolized throughout the movie.

The MOST appropriate song, however, was "fukk the Police". Not only because it was used hilariously, but keep in mind that the verse Jeremiah 11:11 speak that even when you cry out for help, nobody is going to save you. That include calling for the police. The mother pleading to call for the police and the response is "fukk the police". And the song plays throughout with poignant parts that exactly fit such as the scene where the Wilson kids first seen the dead bodies and right on cue the song say, "MC Ren, will you please give your testimony to the jury about this fukked-up incident?"

Plus, using NWA was necessary as we understood why the emergence of NWA was so important. The were one of the first rap groups that profoundly reported the reality of the urban neighborhoods and the struggles existing in that type of environment while privileged white America pretend that it didn't exist. Being that US is in large part an acknowledgement of the disenfranchised and underprivileged rebelling against those of privilege which was exactly the voice of NWA was all about.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
Do yall think....
the boy was switched?

I stated that the boy may have been switched from a few factors.

1. He was building a "tunnel" on the beach and the white chicks called him weird

2. He came back with that drawing, he was able to draw a picture of the whole situation

3. He started using cuss words and they were asking him in the car where did he get that language from

4. He couldn't start the lighter, but his shadow could

5. He was on beat in the car

6. He knew how to control his shadow by snapping his fingers

I think he was taught all these things by the "real" Red thus him knowing so much about what was going on.

I may be reaching

Last edited by a moderator:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@NO-BadAzz

I spoiler tagged your post. No big deal but we still aren't sure how we're handing spoilers in these threads yet.

Anyway....

Nah, because the tethered version of Jason couldn't talk. Same as the rest of the tethered.

In his review Tariq Nasheed said the tethered Jason couldn't talk because he was traumatized from being burned....but that's a massive stretch and there's nothing to indicate that.

As far as #6 in particular, the tethered were created as an experiment to control the "real" people above ground. The experiment failed, which is why it was abandoned. When you see Red explaining what happened, you see the tethered mimicking what's going on in the real world....which is why Jason could control his copy. The experiment had the exact opposite effect of what was intended.

Fred.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Plus the cops still didn't come for Ade's family after they called

(Unless they didnt actually call)
Everyone was calling. I believed the call to the police started off with 2 minutes and then it evolved into 14.