“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
404/678/770 тσ 702
Thinking about it, da night she disappeared, she was only gone for da span of 15 minutes. I'm gonna assume that where they were located underground as well as where she stashed Red couldn't have been too far but, I'm still not able to wrap my head around how at as young of an age she was, was she able to execute that so quick then getting back to da surface soon afterwards in such a short span on time.

Yaddam Yussein

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I predicted the ending 10 minutes in, but I was hoping I was gonna be wrong NOPE.

I enjoyed the movie and give it 8.5/10

The movie was amazingly directed along with the music and had me searching for clues from start to finish.

Lupita looked like a Goddess :takedat: Those thighs :noah:

The final scene could’ve been cut out imo.

I will say this is the first time majority of my theater out right said they hated a movie :dead:

I wasn’t expecting that :huhldup:

That Beach Boys / NWA Scence was HORRIBLE :snoop:

Last edited:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Thinking about it, da night she disappeared, she was only gone for da span of 15 minutes. I'm gonna assume that where they were located underground as well as where she stashed Red couldn't have been too far but, I'm still not able to wrap my head around how at as young of an age she was, was she able to execute that so quick then getting back to da surface soon afterwards in such a short span on time.

- She was in the same general area as her Surface self, chalk that up to mirroring
- she was wandering around in a place that just happened to be a portal
- the power went out; so the escalator going down isn't an issue, and the hall of mirrors is dark long enough for Ade to be stuck in there that long of a time

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
See, that’s that cac shyt. I even mentioned Primer earlier in this thread and how I understood that shyt, no problem.

Primer was cool for what it was. But then to turn and shyt on black films that aren’t exactly orthodox because you feel they’re not “deep” enough for you...that smacks of being Eurocentric, breh. A goddamn animated film can be profound.

Citing Immanuel Kant...another cac philosopher. He had some good shyt to say, but why are we talking about him in an US thread? Philosophy is, at its core, contemplating the shyt around us and coming to an understanding for ourselves. Not to say we don’t need guidance, but philosophy is love of wisdom.

There are plenty of educated people with limited or no wisdom. If you’re just echoing cacs because you think their philosophy is superior, you don’t understand wisdom. Wisdom does not have to be complex. It can be straightforward. I, for one, appreciated the nurture vs nature aspect of this film and I’ve read tons of shyt about that subject before I even knew that would play a key role in US.

I loved the way US gradually snuck that timeless philosophical ideology into it.

But it did it with soul. That’s what a lot of cac philosophy is missing. They convey complex thoughts but it’s simply a mental exercise with a cold and rational approach. Black people will convey the same damn shyt, but they do it with soul. They don’t require emotionless analysis because they can convey abstract thought through the soulful lens of the black experience.

You don’t appreciate it, go home and read some
goddamn Kant.
Got damn, he eloquently shytted on him :mjlol:

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
full

This theory keeps popping up shyt is ridiculous

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps

so just a thought while watching this. Dude pointed out how Adelaide was a great dancer until 14, right?

Isn't one of the key indicators of Adelaide being a tether the fact that she was snapping off beat?

Her friend was even saying how great a dancer she was and Adelaide was acting like something happened that made her stop dancing. Within the context of the movie, the natural conclusion would be that she stopped dancing because of the switch, but that's obviously not the case, because she was switched at much younger and became a great dancer as a tether as a means of managing the "trauma". Obviously rhythm at that point isn't or wouldn't logically be a factor at that point, so what changed?

Red down below on the other hand, the real Adelaide, was terrible at dancing but loved it and by the end of the movie was dancing/faster that fake Adelaide and the implication is that it's because she's the real human and has a soul - so again, what changed? Is it simply because fake Adelaide stopped and the real one kept going?

I was talking to my lady about it and she brought up a good point about the parallels between Adelaide and her daughter running track. How it's a normal teenage thing to just stop a sport or dance or whatever and that the daughter was used in a way to represent or explain away why fake Adelaide stopped dancing, as I don't recall that being discussed during that final Red/Adelaide confrontation. And that while Adelaide did the "normal" teenage thing and stopped dancing, which represented the continued lack of appreciation for what those above have, Red kept dancing because she saw God in it, loved it, got the adulation for it from the other Tethers that Adelaide didn't appreciate from above and thats how she got better.

I feel like I'm rambling, but does that make sense? I'd like to think that was the intention, to offer continued commentary on how we don't appreciate the gifts that we have and also added commentary on how the mindless, soulless just prop up entertainers (Red's dancing) but it still doesn't explain away how/why the snapping was used as a device to reflect Adelaide's lack of soul.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Lupita is a grown ass woman and that was a regular ass coffee table :loldenzel2:

It didn't move for horror movie reasons (to build suspense) but please stop the madness :russ:

"She's a grown ass woman" would be like saying Tom Holland and Michael Jai White are both grown ass men. Nobody in their right mind would argue they're equally strong.

And I'm not speaking facetiously....my ex was roughly the same size as Lupita (around 5 ft, 110 lbs.) and needed help moving my coffee table, which was just wrought iron and glass.

And she couldn't move my entertainment center at all, which is actually smaller. Just made of heavier material.
So if you want to chalk it to up "horror movie logic" :hubie:but I personally can't.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
so just a thought while watching this. Dude pointed out how Adelaide was a great dancer until 14, right?

Isn't one of the key indicators of Adelaide being a tether the fact that she was snapping off beat?

Her friend was even saying how great a dancer she was and Adelaide was acting like something happened that made her stop dancing. Within the context of the movie, the natural conclusion would be that she stopped dancing because of the switch, but that's obviously not the case, because she was switched at much younger and became a great dancer as a tether as a means of managing the "trauma". Obviously rhythm at that point isn't or wouldn't logically be a factor at that point, so what changed?

Red down below on the other hand, the real Adelaide, was terrible at dancing but loved it and by the end of the movie was dancing/faster that fake Adelaide and the implication is that it's because she's the real human and has a soul - so again, what changed? Is it simply because fake Adelaide stopped and the real one kept going?

I was talking to my lady about it and she brought up a good point about the parallels between Adelaide and her daughter running track. How it's a normal teenage thing to just stop a sport or dance or whatever and that the daughter was used in a way to represent or explain away why fake Adelaide stopped dancing, as I don't recall that being discussed during that final Red/Adelaide confrontation. And that while Adelaide did the "normal" teenage thing and stopped dancing, which represented the continued lack of appreciation for what those above have, Red kept dancing because she saw God in it, loved it, got the adulation for it from the other Tethers that Adelaide didn't appreciate from above and thats how she got better.

I feel like I'm rambling, but does that make sense? I'd like to think that was the intention, to offer continued commentary on how we don't appreciate the gifts that we have and also added commentary on how the mindless, soulless just prop up entertainers (Red's dancing) but it still doesn't explain away how/why the snapping was used as a device to reflect Adelaide's lack of soul.

It's because one stopped and the other one kept at it. Also the whole "nature vs nurture" thing.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So he's done with comedy right?
I didn't see any in US...

I guess I was looking for a more sure and deliberate approach to actually scaring the shyt out of people.

I didn't laugh, and I wasn't scared.

I did however see the genius in concept development and execution.

If they didn't bother with all of the underground antics and try to satisfy all of the 80s horror movie nerds with plugs, they would have had time to plug all those plot holes. 20 mil is a lot to spend on a mishmash of old movies. They are over 80M so the people have spoken. Let's see what happens at the Oscars and Candyman.

As far as the bolded....not sure if you're being sarcastic. There was definitely humor in "Us".

Regardless, it's a moot point since horror and humor aren't mutually exclusive. If you're asking is he completely done with straight comedy....no idea but his focus for the foreseeable future is obviously horror. Every project he's working on and/or has talked about, is horror and/or weird fiction related.

Fred.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
After reading a lot of the posts, I'm just gonna not even try to discuss it here. Damn, I miss IMDB forums.

I'm just gonna say that some of y'all seem really young, or need to expand your horizons. Read more, and not just non-fiction and self help, but fiction, literature, the books they told you to read in school, that clearly, a lot of you didn't.

One poster really said he needs to make real black movies. WTF. But also, if you go into the movie, ready to dissect it, it's already lost you. This movie is just as much horror/comedy/social commentary as something as They Live. Did you go into They Live ready to dissect it?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
A few things I can't seem to grasp

Will there be a part 2??

Why were the rabbits white?? and only a few (I think 2) black rabbits?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
After reading a lot of the posts, I'm just gonna not even try to discuss it here. Damn, I miss IMDB forums.

I'm just gonna say that some of y'all seem really young, or need to expand your horizons. Read more, and not just non-fiction and self help, but fiction, literature, the books they told you to read in school, that clearly, a lot of you didn't.

One poster really said he needs to make real black movies. WTF. But also, if you go into the movie, ready to dissect it, it's already lost you. This movie is just as much horror/comedy/social commentary as something as They Live. Did you go into They Live ready to dissect it?

Yeah and Jordan said straight up he wanted to make a straight horror movie. Yes there are things to dissect but at the end of the day, it’s a horror movie. There are themes to breakdown in they live, night of the living dead, Halloween, etc but they’re still horror movies and that’s their first function.

I think because of get out, he’s brought more people into the fold who weren’t here with the rest of the horror geeks and that’s great. That’s awesome, actually. But the rules haven’t changed.

This isn’t the first horror movie or piece of fiction that leaves issues unanswered. And it’s not a plot hole; it never is. There’s always a mystery to these things. How can Michael Myers get up after falling from the third story of a house? How can Jason walk and still be faster than you while you’re running? How did the zombie outbreak happen? Why did they decide to come to the mall? How in the hell does a car become possessed?

If you really get hung up on those questions while watching horror or sci-fi, you’re going to miss all the dope shyt by being way too literal