“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
Define real black movie, homie

One that has a honest voice, from the perspective of the humor, pain, joy and ingenuity of our culture. You ever heard, "know your audience" spoken with benevolence?

An example of a Black movie, that doesn't play into stereotypes or ghetto tropes (Basically, universally marketed... is Spiderverse.)

You know the feeling.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
One that has a honest voice, from the perspective of the humor, pain, joy and ingenuity of our culture. You ever heard, "know your audience" spoken with benevolence?

An example of a Black movie, that doesn't play into stereotypes or ghetto tropes (Basically, universally marketed... is Spiderverse.)

You know the feeling.

He makes horror movies tho. Clearly from the perspective of black characters. So how are those not “real” black movies? Especially since the idea of a real black movie means we’re monolithic like the borg and we all have the same experience and want the same things and act the same way.

There’s nothing about his movies or even his comedy that say to me he doesn’t have an honest voice and isn’t in touch with the community. Especially the community of black horror fans. That’s why your statement is throwing me for a loop here cause I feel like he’s done it twice now.

What about us or get out doesn’t tap into our culture or our fears or hopes? To have a black family at the center of a horror flick, which is rare as hell, and have that family be a well off family, and not coming a part at the seams or going through any stereotypical shyt, that’s a big deal.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
Jason WAS NOT a tethered. Give it up already. That theory has been disproven multiple times in this thread and elsewhere online.
Well technically he was HALF tethered(as were all the other children in both sets
Of that family )

I think Jason took after his mother’s tetherd side and Pluto had the innocence and curiosity of his mothers Human side.

It’s why I think Jason was connected more to his doppelgänger, was drawn to the Tethered man on the beach, and had a stronger connection to his mother.

The outlandish theory about him coming from the ground is a bit much though.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
He makes horror movies tho. Clearly from the perspective of black characters. So how are those not “real” black movies? Especially since the idea of a real black movie means we’re monolithic like the borg and we all have the same experience and want the same things and act the same way.

There’s nothing about his movies or even his comedy that say to me he doesn’t have an honest voice and isn’t in touch with the community. Especially the community of black horror fans. That’s why your statement is throwing me for a loop here cause I feel like he’s done it twice now.

What about us or get out doesn’t tap into our culture or our fears or hopes? To have a black family at the center of a horror flick, which is rare as hell, and have that family be a well off family, and not coming a part at the seams or going through any stereotypical shyt, that’s a big deal.

Get Out is a Black movie.

Nobody said all Black movies should be the same. Peele can make whatever he wants...I disagree with your statement that "he makes horror movies". That's how Hollywood does Black directors. Give them a genre label and it's hard to get producers to land a cross over.

Again...Peele can make whatever the fukk he wants. He is extremely gifted, but you can't sit here and tell me that you watched Keanu and said that's a Black movie because J&P were in there.

Like I said... everybody likes different things.

Not saying US was bad because it wasn't a Black movie. It fumbled over itself in the second act and the screenplay was not as polished as I expected.

You seem to have the idea that I think all Black people are the same. You're wrong.

Diversity is part of our culture. In every way, not just film. Peele is doing his thing and I look forward to more. Perhaps something that doesn't relate to race or social strata.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Nobody said all Black movies should be the same. Peele can make whatever he wants...I disagree with your statement that "he makes horror movies". That's how Hollywood does Black directors. Give them a genre label and it's hard to get producers to land a cross over.

Again...Peele can make whatever the fukk he wants. He is extremely gifted, but you can't sit here and tell me that you watched Keanu and said that's a Black movie because J&P were in there.

Like I said... everybody likes different things.

Not saying US was bad because it wasn't a Black movie. It fumbled over itself in the second act and the screenplay was not as polished as I expected.

You seem to have the idea that I think all Black people are the same. You're wrong.

Diversity is part of our culture. In every way, not just film. Peele is doing his thing and I look forward to more. Perhaps something that doesn't relate to race or social strata.

he says he makes horror movies tho. That’s not Hollywood trying to pigeon hole him at all; he wants that title and wants to live in that world right now. He’s not ashamed of it. So I’m taking his word and using it for this discussion. If he’s proud to be a horror director and is clearly achieving great heights by being a genre director, I say more power to him.

But you just said get out is a black movie. So again what’s a real black movie? You said he needs to make one of those and I’m trying to figure out what that looks like because to me, he’s already done that twice. I’m not including Keanu in the discussion because I haven’t seen it.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

:gucci:

Peele has said he makes horror movies. Between "Get Out", "Us", the "Twilight Zone" remake, the "Candyman" reboot, and his involvement with "Lovecraft Country"....dude is clearly angling to be firmly cemented in the "horror" category. And he's said he has more ideas for social commentary....that he plans on weaving into horror movies.

So....yeah. Dude is definitely happy to be in the horror genre.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I mean low key there are some valid arguments, but at the end of the day no.

True. But What I dropped in the toilet this morning also had valid points but I’m not going to use it in an argument.

Sometimes, we can over analyze these movies to the point of seeing stuff that’s not there. Jason figured out the connection and took advantage of it.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
True. But What I dropped in the toilet this morning also had valid points but I’m not going to use it in an argument.

Sometimes, we can over analyze these movies to the point of seeing stuff that’s not there. Jason figured out the connection and took advantage of it.
Make shytty analogies, brehs :troll:

I think peele is gonna be the lupe of the film game especially in this super internet generation and everything is gonna be over analyzed.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Make shytty analogies, brehs :troll:

I think peele is gonna be the lupe of the film game especially in this super internet generation and everything is gonna be over analyzed.

And I love that he made a movie that almost flies in the face of that. Yes there are things to be analyzed and discussed and broken down, but there’s also stuff that just is what it is. At the end of the day, he still wanted to make a horror movie. And that’s what he did.