“US” (by Jordan Peele) Official Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Big question...

Was Ade and unreliable narrator for the entire movie? Or was the twist that we as the audience saw at the end of the movie also a revelation to Ade? I took it as she was gradually putting the pieces together and that was the final moment for her, but I've read some things today that suggest she knew the entire time, and that's why she was afraid to go back to Santa Cruz...because she was worried about being exposed.
:lupe:

Unreliable narrator.... or had the Memento effect where she purposely blocked off things of her memory to live the lie.

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
How was everyone getting above ground??? The escalator only went down, they didn't go up. Asides from that, the Hands Across America shirt & cut outs were sealing the exit.
:ohhh: Real question was how they bytch was still working after 30+ years no maintenance

BBG

2014-2024
Daps

Is there anything in life this guy is actually good at :mjlol:
bbq.gif

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
That's all they know, what they've already done before.
The only difference is now it's their choice to do these things instead of just mirroring what the Surface folk did.
You could argue that this is the first time they "understand" the things they have been doing.

Like the White Lady's shadow: she's been mirroring a woman who has had plastic surgery.
When she gets loose, she starts cutting her face...after examining Ade's features.

But that's the thing - do they know they need a "next move"? They've accomplished what they came to do.

...aaand of course at the end, I know you saw them helicopters come. Lol
shyt for all we know it could be some tethers in there flying aimlessly lol

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
was jokingly playing contrarian discussing it with some friends earlier today but I might be right :lupe:

Them: "And it didn't make sense why she didn't just leave the underground earlier"

Me: to me plays right along with Peele's allegory of class and the voiceless underprivileged/tethered and "why don't they just pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and escape that life

............but nah there was an escalator right there that whole time though lol

Them: "But wasn't the escalator only going down?"

Me: more symbolism my brotha, they gotta work twice as hard to get UP! and it's no way OUT!

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
"Its a song about drugs..." :jbhmm:

Hold up....1986...1980s....The Tethered underground were the ignored crack addicts in society who today many are still stuck in a zombie state.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Before I go read through the thread, and join in the discussion, my one gripe was the in-your-face foreshadowing. Without it, I would've enjoyed the movie so much more. Everything in the first 30 minutes should've been subtle. He should've did it a la Nolan's Prestige. The answers are there but not there.

I told my mans that I didn't think most people would like it, especially those that are expecting Get Out. You can't look at this movie like Get Out; this is much more Twilight Zone-esque, which is why I think it should have been more subtle. I think it's confusing a lot of people...even though I can't see how they would be.

Goat poster

KANG LIFE
Daps
was jokingly playing contrarian discussing it with some friends earlier today but I might be right :lupe:

Them: "And it didn't make sense why she didn't just leave the underground earlier"

Me: to me plays right along with Peele's allegory of class and the voiceless underprivileged/tethered and "why don't they just pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and escape that life

............but nah there was an escalator right there that whole time though lol

Them: "But wasn't the escalator only going down?"

Me: more symbolism my brotha, they gotta work twice as hard to get UP! and it's no way OUT!
No need to be a Joke.

All of these are valid responses.

It's part of the reason I think I like "US" better than "Get Out".

"Get Out" was very direct in comparison, Especially as a Black man. We just understood it pretty easily.

"Us" is something EVERYBODY has to dissect and think about.

It's like GKMC vs TPAB

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
personally, I didnt think this movie was all that I thought it'd be.

I thought it started to lost it's way about a quarter of the way thru. Like when the white familyies counterpart showed up, it started getting a little much.

I only say this because the original trailer I saw back on Christmas day only focused on the Black family, not that there was a complete legion of underground people.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Big question...

Was Ade and unreliable narrator for the entire movie? Or was the twist that we as the audience saw at the end of the movie also a revelation to Ade? I took it as she was gradually putting the pieces together and that was the final moment for her, but I've read some things today that suggest she knew the entire time, and that's why she was afraid to go back to Santa Cruz...because she was worried about being exposed.
:lupe:

:what:OF COURSE SHE KNEW THE ENTIRE TIME.
:devil:
:evil: